SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hate hurricane spaghetti maps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate hurricane spaghetti maps Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I just want to get something out of it in Dallas. Cool

We got a little bit of rain yesterday here outside of Ft Worth. More projected this Monday.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
With its unprecedented tear through the ultrawarm waters of the southeast Caribbean, Beryl turned meteorologists' worst fears of a souped-up hurricane season into grim reality. Now it is Texas turn.

Holy sensationalism shit, Batman! Roll Eyes
This is exactly why I follow Space City Weather instead of listening to the sensational asshat "meteorologists." SCW matter of fact discusses the likely effects on Houston metropolitan area, comments on model confidence, actually admit when their forecast was wrong, and discourages sensationalist bullshit (e.g. when other sites hype up models 15 days before landfall).

Thanks for the link

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The monkey's spaghetti map shows it passing within 50' of my house. Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://spaghettimodels.com/

Mike’s weather page is great his live streams are better. He compiles a lot of info. Dude is better than most TV weathermen.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I like to see the path on Zoom Earth. It's very colorful.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Every map that came out CDT 8PM puts that stupid hurricane right over my little town of Victoria, TX. No offense 12121 but if it moved a bit north it'll put us on the clean side and clean up Houston just a bit.

I'm on call at the hospital until Monday morning, so I might be living in the parking garage for a while, wish us luck!

We're getting the storm's outermost band moving through Houston right now. I guess you'd call it the "dirty side".

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Doing my weekly grocery run.
Power flickered a few times at the store [far N Houston, between Spring/Conroe], whiteout outside.
Brief, looks clear now, hope I can at least get loaded/unloaded before the next band.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good luck down there, folks!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good so far. Looks like it's supposed to get started around midnight here.

posted Hide Post
I dislike the term "Dirty side" that has come ito vogue. I guess it is easier to say than right front quandrant where the stronger winds are.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's still a tropical storm. What happened to the man-made super-heating of the ocean turning this storm into a monster?

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first time I moved to Houston I had to evacuate 5 days after I arrived (my truck and a few things not the moving truck) due to Hurricane Rita and was one of the people stuck on I45 moving 0.8 mph. I vowed to never let that happen again so I'm always prepared for hurricane season.

My hurricane kit should be GTG:
  • whole house generator had the oil changed and all maintenance at the end of May.
  • picked up my hurricane drinking water at the beginning of June.
  • plenty of food in the pantry, freezer, and garden.
  • I have everything I've seen on hurricane checklists except full tank of fuel. I'll fill up the truck today.

• And fuel for your generator ?

Lover of the US Constitution
    Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wrightd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    It's still a tropical storm. What happened to the man-made super-heating of the ocean turning this storm into a monster?

I don't think Cat 1 storms are a big deal unless you didn't remove that dead tree next to your house last summer, and aren't expecting water to crest your threshold. Some Noreasters dump more water and do more wind damage than a fast Cat 1.

Lover of the US Constitution
    Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by wrightd:
    quote:
    The first time I moved to Houston I had to evacuate 5 days after I arrived (my truck and a few things not the moving truck) due to Hurricane Rita and was one of the people stuck on I45 moving 0.8 mph. I vowed to never let that happen again so I'm always prepared for hurricane season.

My hurricane kit should be GTG:
  • whole house generator had the oil changed and all maintenance at the end of May.
  • picked up my hurricane drinking water at the beginning of June.
  • plenty of food in the pantry, freezer, and garden.
  • I have everything I've seen on hurricane checklists except full tank of fuel. I'll fill up the truck today.

• And fuel for your generator ?
    Nope, it's a natural gas whole house generator. It comes on automatically in 10 seconds after power loss.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    probably a good thing
    I don't have a cut
    posted Hide Post
    For me, I don't worry about hurricanes Cat 3 and below as long as I'm not directly in the middle of it. Every single one that has hit my area while I've been here has turned out just to be a big storm. Sure, there were power outages and some trees and buildings damaged but mostly a lot of panic over some wind and rain. That's my area though and I'm used to the news channels milking the drama for ratings. Unless it's a Cat 4 or higher though, I'm just staying in place and waiting it out. I don't even shop for extra supplies because I have enough to last the week before everything is mostly back to normal.

I did lose everything to Hurricane Andrew in '92 though when I was stationed at Homestead AFB. So I know when to run away.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    My point is that the leftists climate frauds have been behaving as if this storm was going to destroy anything it touched, but it's just another storm, nothing more.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peripheral Visionary
    Picture of tigereye313
    posted Hide Post
    Space City Weather is about all I use for local weather. Been following since Harvey.

Me and the kid made it back with the travel trailer in tow during the afternoon squall. All the rest of our prep was already done, now its just a matter of how long until the power goes out...

Posts: 11410 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    My office, just south of IAH, preemptively closed for tomorrow.
    Hoping it's less than expected overnight.

Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    10 minutes ago. So far so good. Razz

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    Lost power at 0530 and the whole house generator kicked on. I am at about 5 inches a of rain today, one inch yesterday and 2 1/4 Saturday. Probably still in for a few more inches of rain. Winds not too bad, overall better than the last few storms.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post