SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hate hurricane spaghetti maps
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate hurricane spaghetti maps Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My whole house generator just kicked on. Had about 10 min of power flickering before we lost power.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
It bypassed Victoria, think I'll mow the lawn today since everything shut down in anticipation of the storm. Talked to 12131 and they are safe so far, just rain and hopefully it won't produce extensive flooding.

I want to thank everyone for the prayers for safety, and shift them to the folks currently in the path.

Posts: 2048 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Praying for the Texas folks. Being from La we know hurricanes.

Posts: 13052 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Office [IAH area] lost power at 5:30
House [N Houston] lost power at 7:30

Mostly wind so far, rain is moderate

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Not too bad, ended up with a total of 10" of rain, a broken fence and a lot of missing shingles. How did everyone else do?

Posts: 4238 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm in the eye right now so I went out and checked quickly. 5.5" of rain in rain gauge so far. Only got to check 3 out of 4 fencelines but so far so good. Didn't get a chance to look at the roof.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A friend in the Memorial area had a mature Pecan tree fall on his house, which is in the process of being renovated. I guess the good news is that he already has a crew working for him.

Posts: 27195 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Lost power at 7:30A and got it back around 6:45P.
Fired up the DuroMax genny around 11:30, powered all my household needs.

HK Ag

Posts: 3538 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I'm on Texas New Mexico power, neighborhood still w/o power with no eta for restoration. Glad I have whole house gen, but this thing is noisy. Its getting a workout.

Posts: 4238 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Folks living in hurricane alley should be used to it. My next door neighbor has a generator that cranks up every time there's prolonged power loss. The sound doesn't bother me at all. It's a fact of life.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm nearly 25 hours on generator power, and one of the 1.8 million Centerpoint customers without power (peak was 2.3 million customers). I was so used to the generator sound that when I woke up this morning it took me a minute to realize it was still running.

I checked the generator this morning and one of the cylinder covers where you add oil had popped open so I had to add 3 ounces of oil. Speaking of oil, it's a good reminder for everybody running on generators to check their owner's manual for oil change interval. My old Briggs & Stratton generator was 50 hour oil changes and my current Kohler is 150 hour oil changes. Hurricane Ike's power outage lasted long enough for 2 oil changes for my old B&S, and thankfully my hurricane kit included having oil sitting on the shelf in the garage.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm nearly 25 hours on generator power, and one of the 1.8 million Centerpoint customers without power (peak was 2.3 million customers). I was so used to the generator sound that when I woke up this morning it took me a minute to realize it was still running.

I checked the generator this morning and one of the cylinder covers where you add oil had popped open so I had to add 3 ounces of oil. Speaking of oil, it's a good reminder for everybody running on generators to check their owner's manual for oil change interval. My old Briggs & Stratton generator was 50 hour oil changes and my current Kohler is 150 hour oil changes. Hurricane Ike's power outage lasted long enough for 2 oil changes for my old B&S, and thankfully my hurricane kit included having oil sitting on the shelf in the garage.

Good point, I've got enough for one oil change. I'm hoping I'll only need to run it another day. Otherwise I'll probably shut it down for an hour to change the oil and filter later in the week

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The filters for ours aren’t found at WalMart. I ordered a case from https://norwall.com/ .

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
re the wind, when the weatherpersons get to blowing too much hot air,, I check this

https://earth.nullschool.net/#...4/loc=-77.278,37.382

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10606 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Spent a few hours with friends that have power & internet.
Back home to the snoozing sounds of generators & chainsaws.

Have a generator on the way, along with a window ac unit, should give some respite for a while.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2048 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

The WB by the Woodlands had a line about 1/4 mile long, all 3 times we went by it today

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I could go for some WB. Glad you guys are OK and generators are humming. Makes a big difference.

Looks like I won’t be spraying weeds today. My wife just informed me that Beryl is coming to Northern Michigan.

Edited to add:
My wife is a bit like the weather people making a big deal out of nothing. I looked for myself and it seems Beryl will hit Southern Michigan, but not make it this far north at all. Weed spraying is back on the table!

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A few from when it was still blowing pretty heavily & shortly after

Our back patio while the winds were still gusting pretty heavily. There was more tree debris after this shot.

Shot out the front, as the drainage ditch crested the driveway. Only got up about 1/3 into the front yard & started receding

Trees down at both ends of our street, both quite large & luckily both fell into the street & not into their respective houses.

Still a lot of cleanup to do, tons of small limbs around the yard.
Houston area [serviced by our elec provider, CenterPoint] still has 1.3M without power. That number doesn't include those serviced by the other line owners outside the major Houston area.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Big Genny only running on propane at the moment,replacement carb is on the way to get it back on petrol.

One tree snapped, trimmed the small branches off the feed line for our power. Lots of debris for the county to pick up.

Water drained fairly quickly after raking out several of the downstream neighbor's culverts.

Posts: 11422 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post