SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time for a mutiny in these over reaching states?
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 46
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for a mutiny in these over reaching states? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know of a certain barber who made some house calls to long-standing customers,...

My sister set up something like this at her house. 8 of us got haircuts on her deck.
If you can't go to the salon, the salon comes to you. The gal who cuts our hair was as appreciative of the business as we were of the chance to get a haircut.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The gal who cuts our hair was as appreciative of the business as we were of the chance to get a haircut.
And it's straight cash money, so Uncle Sam is none the wiser too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"Fish, or cut bait" is the same thing.

Oh, I understand what the quoted bit meant. I was talking about the entirety of his post. I've no clue what he's on about.

My fault. I asked the question poorly. Fixed.
Confused by a bendable post?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally some good news in Michigan.The language for the Recall petition of Gretch was approved. There is a 60 day window to collect just over a million signatures to get it on the ballot.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a 60 day window to collect just over a million signatures to get it on the ballot.

Sounds daunting...
But it can be done. You will need 1 thousand very committed people ...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
In an ironic twist, apparently with bars now open, so can strip clubs. A friend just called laughing as he drove by one and the lot was packed.

However, you can't get your hair cut for another week as that is "personal" services and could require close contact with customers.

The stupid continues

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Soooo....topless haircuts with a full bar?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the website. http://recallgovernorwhitmer.com/

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yeah, well...

Two women are arrested in undercover operation for breaching coronavirus lockdown rules and offering home beauty and salon services in Texas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...n-services-home.html

Two thoughts come to mind:
1) Interesting that TX LE seems to pursue this sort of thing more / more competently than CA LE.
2) Perhaps there is a reason that the individual I referenced offer the service only to long time customers that requested it, and only for cash. How does that saying go, “... pigs get eaten.”?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link has a copy of the letter from the state warning them not to hold the event.

"A sign outside of Ace Speedway read that Saturday night's race was a "peaceful protest of injustice and inequality everywhere..."

Complete article:

https://www.wfmynews2.com/arti...dd-89ae-c6a91619177e

ACE Speedway holds race despite Cooper's request for Sheriff Johnson to enforce phase 2 executive order

According to the rules of phase 2, outside gatherings should include no more than 25 people. ACE Speedway had more than 2,500 on opening night at the racetrack.

Author: Lea Wilson
Published: 11:29 AM EDT June 5, 2020
Updated: 9:56 PM EDT June 6, 2020

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Editor's note: The video in this story is from May 28, when officials responded to a crowded event at Ace Speedway.

Despite a request from Governor Roy Cooper's office to not hold an event with more than 25 people, Ace Speedway welcomed patrons to a race on Saturday night.

A sign outside of Ace Speedway read that Saturday night's race was a "peaceful protest of injustice and inequality everywhere."

WFMY News 2 reached out for comment from the Alamance County Sheriff's Office. A public information officer for the department said, "We understand ACE Speedway has posted signage that the event is a peaceful protest. The Sheriff is aware and will evaluate the merits of this claim."

On Friday, Gov. Roy Cooper’s office sent a letter to Alamance County Sheriff Terry Johnson encouraging him to enforce his executive order at ACE Speedway.

According to the rules of phase 2 of reopening North Carolina, outside gatherings should include no more than 25 people and social distancing should be practiced. On opening night at the speedway, hundreds of people were allowed entry and not many seemed to be wearing masks nor socially distant.

Citing the First Amendment of the constitution, the right to peaceably assemble, Johnson said he would not stop crowds from attending races.

In the letter, William McKinney, counsel to the governor’s office said, “ACE Speedway has continuously and flagrantly violated the plain and unambiguous language of the phase 2 order.”

RELATED: Ace Speedway packed with fans on opening night

The letter said the violation is a health risk to those in Alamance County and throughout the state.

According to the letter, there were reports that ACE Speedway allowed more than 2,250 people at its track on May 23. Shortly after the event, Gov. Cooper said it was “dangerous and reckless.”

After speaking with the governor’s office, Johnson asked ACE speedway to cancel future events while the state is in phase 2 of reopening, the letter said. On May 30, the speedway held another event and allowed more than 25 people to attend who were not keeping distance or wearing face coverings, according to the letter. Alamance County law enforcement officials again did not enforce the phase 2 order.

McKinney said in the letter that enforcing the order at the speedway is “critical because Burlington, which is in Alamance County, has one of the highest average daily growth rates of coronavirus deaths in the country.” Restricting mass gatherings at places like ACE speedway could slow the spread, the letter said.

RELATED: 'I hope and pray no one gets sick or even dies from that gathering' | Governor Cooper responds to Triad Speedway's opening

The governor’s office “formally and specifically” requested that the Alamance County Commission and Sheriff Johnson take steps to require ACE Speedway to comply with the phase 2 order.

McKinney said in the letter that enforcing the order may have drawn concern that the constitution may have been violated but assured that the order was drafted with legal counsel to ensure that the order did not infringe on anyone’s constitutional rights. McKinney also said the events at ACE Speedway are commercial events that don’t fall under the First Amendment.

The letter said if Johnson does not enforce the phase 2 order, Gov. Cooper’s office will “take further action to protect the health and safety of the people of Alamance County and North Carolina.”

Johnson spoke to WFMY News 2 reporter Amanda Ferguson Friday. He said the phase 2 executive order wasn’t clear to him. Johnson said he tried to get clarification about the order but didn't get a response until Thursday night. He said while he disagrees, he will issue a citation if Ace Speedway has more than 25 people at its venue.

“Last night we got this letter trying to clarify what was meant in Executive Order 141. As a result, I met with my staff along with the county manager, county commission, and county attorney, they advised me it would be best to go on and write a citation if there were over 25 people at the race. I also talked to Mr. Turner’s attorney and advised him of what our intentions are. I’ll be honest with you, I don’t feel like we’re doing the right thing because of the previous order not being clear. We’re going to go on and issue a citation if there are over 25 people there,” Johnson said.

ACE Speedway had a race scheduled for Friday night, according to its Facebook page., but later announced the race would be postponed to Saturday due to weather.

Allowing more than 25 people inside the venue would mean Ace Speedway would be in violation of public health restriction and prohibitions under Executive Order 141, which is enforced through GS 14-288.20A subsection 2.

The amount of the fine Ace Speedway could receive if it violates the order is up to a judge. The speedway would receive the fine each time the rule is broken.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

"A sign outside of Ace Speedway read that Saturday night's race was a "peaceful protest of injustice and inequality everywhere..."

Big Grin

Love it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
1) Interesting that TX LE seems to pursue this sort of thing more / more competently than CA LE.

The incident happened in April, not recently.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not the state, but the Anchorage mayor needs to go. The governor and the state established a 14 day quarantine for out of state visitors. They made a provision to waive the quarantine if a traveler can provide documentation on a negative test 72 hours prior to travel. Makes sense.

So we're one of 2 states establishing a quarantine for out of state travelers, not good enough for the Mayor of Anchorage. He's ordering additional quarantine and restrictions for the city. Absolutely pointless and accomplishes nothing except making it tougher on businesses in Anchorage. But that's been his modus operandus the whole time, making speaches of, "Hey look at me, I'm doing something!" And it's always totally uncoordinated with the rest of the state and the healthcare system.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...id-19-travel-policy/

‘We want this to be easy’: Alaska health officials offer advice on how to comply with the state’s COVID-19 travel policy

pencil Author: Annie Berman

Airports across Alaska last week were gearing up for a new state policy that went into effect Saturday. Passengers traveling by plane to Alaska will now be able to forgo a 14-day quarantine if they test negative for COVID-19.

The state is offering a choice on how to comply with the new policy. Heidi Hedberg, director of Alaska’s Division of Public Health, highly recommends that visitors take a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of getting on a plane to come to Alaska and present the negative results upon arrival.

“We really want this to be easy," Hedberg said during a Friday media briefing at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. "Get tested before you travel. Have your negative test result. Complete the travel declaration. Flow through this airport.”

But she acknowledged that in practice, this option is tricky: In many states, you cannot get tested for the coronavirus unless you have symptoms. And then there’s the wait time for getting back test results, which can also vary by state.

So for those who are unable to get tested in that small window before their plane departs, Hedberg offered more details on a second option: Take a free test at the airport when you arrive in Alaska, and then self-quarantine at your own expense until notice of a negative test result is received.

Travelers who aren’t able to get tested within 72 hours of getting on the plane but can get a test within five days of their departure must also get a test when they land in Alaska. While those people don’t have to self-quarantine, the state is asking they minimize interactions with others until their test results come back.

Hedberg said while the timeline for getting back test results can vary and is dependent on state laboratories being able to keep up with demand, the typical wait time should be about two days.

But, she said, "it could take longer than 48 hours, and that’s just managing expectations.”

Hedberg encouraged travelers to prepare by communicating with their hotel in advance.

“Say, ‘I just arrived from this state. I’m waiting for my test results,'” she said.

During that time, order in food and avoid public places, she advised.

Alaska residents who opt to be tested in the airport will be given a voucher to take a second coronavirus test within 7-14 days of arrival. They are asked to minimize interactions with others until their second test result comes back negative.

In Anchorage, new restrictions require that travelers arriving in the city from out of state must minimize “in-person interactions” for 14 days, or until they clear a secondary round of testing performed at least seven days after they arrived in Alaska — whichever is earlier. Specifically, that means those travelers must wear face coverings around people who aren’t part of their household, and they may not dine in at restaurants or visit indoor facilities like theaters or gyms during that time frame.

For tourists and Alaska residents who prefer not to be tested, they can still agree to self-quarantine for two weeks upon arrival — no test needed.

“Again, quarantine means that you are not going out into the public," Hedberg said. "Do not go to the grocery store. Just call up DoorDash, you know, use one of those apps and have those groceries or that food delivered to where you were at.”

Whatever travelers choose, all are also required to fill out a travel declaration where they can note their preference. Screeners will be available at the airport to answer questions and direct traffic flow.

“We’re going to have 58 people working 12-hour shifts supporting this project," said Dennis Spencer with Capstone Clinic. "We’re going to have a lot of people on board in the airport to help.”

Capstone Clinic has a COVID-19 testing facility in Wasilla and already has been conducting swabbing at Anchorage’s international airport for out-of-state workers.

Hedberg said while the new rules can seem confusing, they ultimately were put into place to benefit everyone.

“We want people to come to Alaska, but we also want to make sure that everyone is safe,” she said.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
A letter to the NJ Governor Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rock Falls is about an hour west of Chicago on I88.

Rock Falls gun range says they assume you have a medical condition if you choose not to wear mask

Carry On Range Inc. found a loophole to Governor JB Pritzker's mask requirment.

Author: Marissa Sulek
Published: 11:18 PM CDT June 9, 2020
Updated: 11:18 PM CDT June 9, 2020

ROCK FALLS, Illinois — Carry On Range Inc, a shooting range in Rock Falls, posted a sign on their front door encouraging customers to enter without a mask.

The owner, Dakota Hagerman, says their sales dropped almost 20% back in March when the pandemic started. The gun range was able to stay open during the pandemic because they sell ammunition. But many customers chose not to come due to COVID-19 concerns.

As businesses started to open up with mask regulations, Hagerman says people still wouldn't come because they had to wear a mask. To draw customers back, Hagerman says he found a loophole to Governor JB Pritzker's order:

"Our Governor has ordered all persons entering indoor facilities must wear a mask. If you have a medical condition, that prevents you from wearing a mask you are exempt from this order! Due to HIPPA and the 4th Amendment, we CANNOT legally ask you what your medical condition is. Therefore, if we see you without a mask, we will assume you have a medical condition and we will welcome you inside to support our local small business. We are constantly sanitizing and circulating fresh air throughout the entire range every day."

Governor Pritzker addressed businesses with similar signs at the press conference on Tuesday.

"Look people are not walking around with their doctor's orders about their medical issue wearing a mask," says Gov. Pritzker. "It's difficult, if not impossible, to ask somebody to prove what their medical condition is."

"We can't police everything about trying to keep people healthy. What we can do is provide public health guidance from the experts and show people the data, show them the science, talk about it every day."

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

WHITMER REBUKED BY MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT.

Lansing Mi. – Governor Whitmer was rebuked not only by the Mi. Supreme Court on Friday in her trying to illegally close a barbershop but she also lost on June 5, when the Court of Claims stated that a portion of Whitmer’s June 5 order establishing coronavirus safety guidelines as a prerequisite to the opening of businesses was, "null and void.”

The Michigan Supreme Court stated in a rare 7-0 decision Friday, “It is incumbent on the courts to ensure decisions are made according to the rule of law, not hysteria.”

The Supreme court also stated, “Courts decide legal questions that arise in the cases that come before us according to the rule of law. One hopes that this great principle—essential to any free society, including ours—will not itself become yet another casualty of COVID-19.”

Full article: Whitmer Rebuked By Michigan Supreme Court

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ace Speedway here in NC was ordered by a court via a temporary restraining order to not open again for a race. Since it is apparently okay for the violent protests to have taken place and nothing done about them violating these contrived "social distance" orders, etc.,the owner should open the gates for a mass protest and just not hold the race.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Ace Speedway here in NC was ordered by a court via a temporary restraining order to not open again for a race. Since it is apparently okay for the violent protests to have taken place and nothing done about them violating these contrived "social distance" orders, etc.,the owner should open the gates for a mass protest and just not hold the race.

Or just hold a "Protest Race"!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Court just ruled that Whitmer overstepped her authority by imposing felony charges for disobeying her orders.

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2...XuPjAAq78uk.facebook

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Evil Queen would have fared better if she had just shut down all the known hot spot counties, as opposed to closing the entire state.
But she could not do that. Because all those counties are the ones that voted for her.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post