SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
September 1986: video store clerk $3.35/hr.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
1996 - Parma Pierogies

$5.75 per hour.

Fying / boiling pierogies and various other Polska foodstuffs.

Before that was caddying for cash. Made WAY better money looping.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First paycheck job was with my town's park department. $1.60 an hour in 1966. Learned about FISA at that time. Cutting grass (push mowers) cutting weeds and brush, picking up trash, trimming trees, drove a sickle bar mounted on a tractor.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1.65 part time after school in 1973 at department store G.C.Murphy.
Good learning experience.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
1952, grocery packer at Big Bear market--$0.50/hr + tips
1954, telephone order taker and packer at a Chinese carry-out kitchen--$1.50/hr + dinner

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Used some earlier posts to refresh my memory it must have been around $1.65 per hour.
It was enough to make my car payments of $69.67 (no idea why I remember that amount) and to fill the gas tank for $5 (that's right five bucks ~ it was a 72 Fiat Spyder and gas was as low as 19 cents a gallon).
Good ole days. Cool

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.85 cents an hour, dressed in a white shirt, black tie, shoes bagging groceries in 1971.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1971, while in high school I made $1.65 an hour shoveling ice in a poultry packing plant.
Gaf

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer of 1969, just 4 months older than 15 years. Lied about my age. Was supposed to be at least 16 but I was tall for my age. Started bagging groceries for $1.45 an hour. Worked in grocery stores all through high school. Eventually became a stocker and 3rd man in the produce department.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
1970 worked as a plumber’s apprentice for 3.75 an hour, took home 109 and change weekly.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1983 I was 15 and started work as a delivery driver for a small pharmacy. I think I was making $3.85hr. In 1986 I graduated high school and got a summer job where my dad worked that was for college students. I made $8hr and I thought I was rich.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bagging groceries at the base commissary, tips only I was 16 made $30-$40 a day back in 1976
First real job 1978 shipyard work $3.45 was sh!tting in high cotton!!! Big Grin

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess it was 1964 pumping ethyl and I think it was $1 an hour. Went up a full quarter an hour to $1.25 the next year. I don't think it was out of the goodness of their heart, I think it was a legislated increase. Gas jockeys did what they had to do. You self serve guys don't realize we had to wash windows and check the oil, too.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
1966 flipping burgers at McDonalds for either $1.15 or $1.35.hr; I forget. I was 15 years old and had to get a work permit.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 12 years old cut apricots at one of the last apricot farms in the Santa Clara valley. .50c per tray that was 4x8 and the cots cut in half remove pits placed flesh side up so they could be dried.
Work as much or a little as you wanted it was all piecemeal in June when cots came in.

First w2 job day after I turned 15 in 1989 for a job at Great America amusement park in Santa Clara. Food warehouse making 7$ an hour when min wage was 4.25. I was very big for my size and my bro who was working security had been in the warehouse the previous summer and got the manager to hook me up. I think you were supposed to be 18. For 15 I was swimming in loot !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
1966 $1.00/hr. Working part time in a convenience store.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
1988: prep cook and dishwasher at local restaurant 2 blocks from my house.

Pay was a whopping $3.35 an hour but we were paid cold hard cash in an envelope under the table so that was probably more like a real world $4.00 an hour.

I actually worked my rear end off at that job and saved enough money to buy my first car, a 1967 Pontiac Firebird, at age 15. Drove it the day I turned 16

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
$6.50/hr in 1998 as a bookseller at Barnes & Noble.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
1964 - Portland, OR - copy room of Georgia-Pacific - $1.25/hr.

This was with a Xerox machine that took up half a room and took 2 people to work it.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
$2.10 an hour doing maintenance. I’m old.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post