SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1980 $4 Dishwasher. At least then, i got paid, now i do it for free.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PeteF,

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2005 - $5.15/hr

Working as a 'waiter' at a poolside bar/grill at a Lake Conroe (N Houston) yacht club.
Full minimum wage, plus tips, not the $2.35/hr most waitstaff was getting at the time elsewhere.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
In 1992 at age 15 I was plucked out of my high school auto mechanics class and asked if I was interested in a part time job. The teacher was friends with the owner of one of the local gas station/auto repair shops.

I started at 4.25 an hour plus commission.

I pumped gas, repaired tires, changed oil, and did other light mechanical work all through high school. It was a fantastic first job.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 age 15 sacking groceries for $3.35/hr. Sure a lot easier than working the fields for my dad during the summers growing up. But the pay was worse.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
First job was flipping burgers at Wendy's for about $4.35/hour either in 1995 or 1996.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
1974, about $8/hr as it was a union shop. It was a good sized wholesale bakery. I came in as a general gopher and after-work cleanup guy. I was in High School at the time, I worked there for 4 years until I finished 2 years of college and got my first "career" job. By then I had been a full fledged machine operator for a couple of years. It taught me a lot about responsibility and reliability. It also let me sock away a good chunk of savings that I later used to get out of apartments and into a house.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My first income producing job was mowing lawns at age 13. At age 15 I worked for a cannery during the summer, pitching pea vines into the viners. Base pay was $1/hr but another guy and I negotiated a $2/hr rate because we were doing the job of 2 people, and convinced the foreman that since we were doing the job, and they couldn't find more people dumb enough to do those jobs (12 hours on the job, plus at least 3 hours travel time). At age 17, my mom informed me that if I wanted to join the army she would sign the papers. This following a rather spirited discussion about a sister who mom considered above working around the place.

I was gone from town that day, on my way to Ft. Knox and subsequently Germany. Why Germany? Because that is where I met and dated the only woman I had ever dated, She has been my wife since 1958.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
1972. I think I was paid $1.05 per hour.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1993 - $4.25 bagging groceries at Publix.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Worked for the family cleaning the offices after school, $200 a month, two nights a week, every week 2 to 3 hours a night in the mid 70's during high school. So depending on how quickly I worked it was somewhere between $6 and $10 an hour flat pay though. Made about the same on the family farm in the summer mucking stalls, running a weed-eater or bush hog, bailing hay....

Did have a good tan and was in a lot better physical shape... So I did save the cost of a gym....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1982 as a marine biologist, with a 4 year degree, at Sea World of Orlando: $4.60/hr

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
1963 at a Dairy Queen for $0.75 an hour. I took a pay cut to go in the Navy in 1964.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
A & P Armonk NY. 1983, $3.35/hr tax free!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
My first tax paying job was piece work weaving the seats and backs in antique chairs with cane. I got paid depending on how many holes were in the wood to run the cane through. I was paid $0.50 per hole and could make up to $150.00 per chair (I could do three chairs a day if they were there to do). I was 12. I had to take 25% for my spending money, and the rest went to school supplies and clothes. 1982

At 17 I went to work for my Grandpa at 4.00 per (1987) delivering furniture for his retail store.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Summer of '67, between my Junior and Senior years of HS, I worked for a Fuller Brush salesman, doing his deliveries for him at the princely sum of $5/hr. Of course, I had to use my own car, and pay for gas, etc. out of that. I didn't make $5/hr. again until the mid-70's.

I learned alot that summer, most notably that bored lonely housewives who were looking forward to getting a delivery from a tall handsome 30-something salesman were loath to redirect their interest to the pimply, scrawny high schooler who was knocking on their door.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1.35/hr. as a stockboy at a Be-Lo's Jr. Market in 1964.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer of 1976 scooping Ice Cream at Baskin Robins for $2.10/hour.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In the 60's part time in a gas station and somewhere under $2.00 an hour before taxes. Grew up on a farm and baled hay with my share $.04 per bale. On a good day we could bring in 1000 or so bales, it was the best paying job around and paid in cash. Joined the Air Force in 1969, I think it was $74 a month paid monthly, and I was thrilled to get a regular paycheck and benefits.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Schlotzky's Deli in Charlotte, NC.
$3.35 per hour

I was rich...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Around 1973. As I recall I made $1.65/hr as a clerk in a Safeway grocery store in Midland Tx. A shitty job.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post