SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hourly Rate and Year of your first tax-paying job? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You guys have good memories!

My first job was working on a farm in 1974 at 15. I think I was paid $2.50/hour.

The following year during summer vacation and weekends in school I worked at a boatyard. I think that was $4.50/hour.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
1968 for my first W-2 wage and minimum wage had just gone up to $1.60 but I made all of $1.65. This was doing a variety of things at a small town local store.
About a year later I started with a guy that had a mowing service and also did backhoe work and small earth moving. I was really happy to get about $2.25 an hour.
When graduated from high school in 1971, I worked for a flat $100 a week for a year then moved south for $175 a week.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
In 1983 I ran a printing press for $5.00 an hour.

By 1985 I was paid $10 an hour to run printing presses.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34116 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
1971. Baker, mechanic, cleaner and handyman at a bakery. $2.10 an hour.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Summer of 1968 I got a job at the Riverside Park swimming pool concession stand selling popcorn and roasted peanuts and sno cones for 85 cents an hour and all I could eat.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$3.15 per hour minimum wage at a gaming store in Springfield Mall, Virginia, 1984. Age 16. Pretty cool job all-in-all. I did not know it at the time, but my future wife was also working somewhere in the Mall... I wonder we ever crossed paths, as we would not start dating for another 12 years.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Summer of 1962, highway construction laborer (I-30, near Texarkana), paid the minimum wage of $1.15/hour.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
$1.65 per hour, in 1972

This but the year was 1973. Those $25.00 a week paychecks kept my car on the road and the girlfriend happy.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
16 years old in 1964, $1.85 working construction for a petroleum maintenance company. Installed tanks, pumps, etc at gas stations.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Started working for Sohio at age 16 in 1971. Was your typical gas pump jockey who also did oil changes and general mechanical repair. Pay was a glorious 1.30 per hour.

$5/hour in 1988 at an Amoco station, age 16.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
1965 busboy at a restaurant, $1.25 plus tips.

Made around $10.00/night on tips.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
1973 Penn Central Railroad. Laborer. $4.39 an hour.

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2/hr in 1972 for packing beans.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2.00 an hour in 1972 working at a mill that processed and delivered...chicken feed.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
$1.60 hr in 1970 working at restaurant. Dishwasher, then cook.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
US Navy in 1969 paid me about $123 a month. That was my first job with an actual wage. I remember filing my tax return in Wisconsin after my first full year in the service. I owed 0.10 so a taped a dime to my 1040 and sent it in.

Before that I made pretty good money playing rock music in bars, clubs and schools.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I fried chicken for $2.65 an hour.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
1999. It was 5 dollars and change. Maybe $5.25ish?

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
In 1983 I ran a printing press for $5.00 an hour.

By 1985 I was paid $10 an hour to run printing presses.

My grandfather on my father's side was apprenticed to a printer in the late '20s, but found out he was extremely allergic to the inks, and had to stop. He ended up as a truck driver.

Oddly enough, my mother's moether's father owned a print shop in a very small town in the coal regions in Pennsylvania, and also owned the local newspaper.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first and only full time job was started at $4.00 an hour in 1986.

I will retire from that same company this year. I’ve been very fortunate.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post