SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Record number of U.S. workers quit their jobs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record number of U.S. workers quit their jobs Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Workers without a college degree are also far more likely to be out of the labor force.

quote:
Goldman Sachs said in a note this month that enhanced unemployment benefits—which at one point provided up to $600 a week to jobless workers, on top of normal benefits—have likely contributed to the shortage. Other economists dispute that. Those extra benefits expired in about half of states earlier this summer and the remaining states in early September.

Lower paid, unskilled labor type jobs are the jobs no one wants to do if they have an alternative... such as living off of government programs.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The post by Aeteocles brought back memories of my dad from, maybe 50 years ago. I agreed then as I do now. I don't understand why there's litter in the streets while people get money for nothing. I'm paying for so many other's kids but I still have to snowblow my own driveway and cut my own lawn.

People with no experience and no skills are holding out for more money. Turn off the free shit faucet and we'll see how many change their minds.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

-- COVID has created a highly unusual set of circumstances.

--

Just a small bit of contention, and I admit that I've been guilty of this too, but we should stop saying this. "Covid" didn't cause any of this. We did. Our governments did. Our woke, confused corporations did. Our medical authoritarians did. A virus is not the reason for any of this nonsense we've experienced in the last 20 months. We've done it to ourselves.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Turn off the free shit faucet and we'll see how many change their minds.

In the words of a great man I know: "hunger is a great motivator for work."

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
The "unemployment figures" have been bogus for more than a few decades since the Reagan administration wanted to 'reduce' the inflation percentage. The only thing that is real, is for the individual to try getting a 'better' paying job! Good luck with that!
And, how's that opioid epidemic doing?

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
What we're seeing in healthcare right now is a lot of nurses and respiratory techs quitting their jobs and moving on elsewhere. Where are they going? A lot are traveling with really lucrative offers like $5k/week. Or they're going to the hospital across town offering a $25k sign on bonus.

The irony is hospitals are paying a lot of money for travelers and bonuses for new employees but offering nothing for retention of current employees.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Turn off the free shit faucet and we'll see how many change their minds.

In the words of a great man I know: "hunger is a great motivator for work."

for even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: if a man will not work, he shall not eat.

2 Thessalonians chapter 3:10

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. No one cares about retention of existing customers or employees

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe 2021 will be the year when everyone stopped working

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My work consists of applying and trying to get an interview. I am batting 0% so far in 2021.

Talk on LinkedIn is there's some sort of "great resignation" going on but the full truth isn't being told. Service jobs are plentiful but they don't pay much. I see plenty of fast food places looking for people.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see tons of employers looking for employees (my wife is looking for a job), but they're all shit pay $11-12 an hour, but only want to hire part time with NO BENEFITS. Well no wonder people don't want to work for $11 an hour when their healthcare will eat up their entire pay check.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I will point out that unemployment is available to workers that get laid off from jobs, not those who quit or get fired for cause. What benefits are available to those that quit? I don't think much if anything.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I see tons of employers looking for employees (my wife is looking for a job), but they're all shit pay $11-12 an hour, but only want to hire part time with NO BENEFITS. Well no wonder people don't want to work for $11 an hour when their healthcare will eat up their entire pay check.

Factories and a Walmart distribution center are hiring in my area 17.00 to 22.00 an hour to start with full benefits and most with sign on bonus.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well no wonder people don't want to work for $11 an hour when their healthcare will eat up their entire pay check.

So for these people, no pay check and no healthcare is preferable to a pay check and no healthcare? People using logic like this are probably unemployable.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Well no wonder people don't want to work for $11 an hour when their healthcare will eat up their entire pay check.

So for these people, no pay check and no healthcare is preferable to a pay check and no healthcare? People using logic like this are probably unemployable.

Exactly. Sure 11-12 bucks an hour certainly isn't "good money" but what makes an unskilled person that calls in sick twice a week think they're worth more? Some of my people think they get paid just for showing up and it doesn't matter how they perform.

On a different note, in New York you get unemployment even if you quit. It's not supposed to be that way but over the past 30 years every employee of mine that quit then filed, got approved. Hell...I just found out that the nurses that are on strike get unemployment.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209, quoting WSJ:
Employers are overhauling their business models to adjust for the labor shortage. Some, such as restaurants, are cutting the hours or days that they’re open.

Experienced that myself this morning. I found the local Bojangles, normally open Sundays, to be closed, with a sign outside to the effect of "we want to give our employees a break." I'm sure getting run ragged because of not being able to find help has a lot to do with it.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Exactly. Sure 11-12 bucks an hour certainly isn't "good money" but what makes an unskilled person that calls in sick twice a week think they're worth more? Some of my people think they get paid just for showing up and it doesn't matter how they perform.

On a different note, in New York you get unemployment even if you quit. It's not supposed to be that way but over the past 30 years every employee of mine that quit then filed, got approved. Hell...I just found out that the nurses that are on strike get unemployment.

My wife was a lawyer in Colombia for the Colombian government, then was general manager of a commercial bakery for 2 years. She was highly educated and is a hard worker, reliable, and just wants a full time job here. She would gladly take a $12 an hour job if it was full time with benefits and be loyal, and a great worker, but there's no incentive when you add up the transportation costs to and from the job, healthcare costs and everything else,to work these jobs where they want her to work 4 days for 6 hours a day and the job is 10-15 miles away, so currently I support her.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
How is it to work hard, learn and do but get passed over for a tranny or because of color? How do the young afford a house, the American dream? Add the cost of having kids, child care? How are wages keeping up with inflation?

I don't see so much laziness and just plain seeing the writing on the wall, they are fecked and know it. Maybe getting on the dole doesn't look any worse? Go to certain locales and you can shoplift a living with ease.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I think the tax burden is a big part of it.

Especially in the trades. Most tradesman can hump a bit, and easily go to 6 figures a year - but as one friend worked out, his take home barely changed between 85K per year, and 120K per year.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Got 2 rejections yesterday. They just keep piling up.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post