SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Record number of U.S. workers quit their jobs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record number of U.S. workers quit their jobs Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This is all by design. The leftists are manufacturing a crisis that will be blamed on the unwashed unvaccinated heathens. Can’t get food? Services? Medical care? Suddenly being scrutinized financially? It’s all the fault of those selfish people over there that refuse to get us out of this plandemic, I mean pandemic.

What the idiot leftist demoCULT supporters don’t realize is while rights we hold dear are being undermined and eroded while they cheer it along, their rights will be taken away in the long run as well. All over an overblown, manufactured crisis that is just the beginning.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Got 2 rejections yesterday. They just keep piling up.

Hang in there Edmond. I was unemployed for 10 months as I was attempting to stay in my general field of employment. It can be discouraging. However I have always believed that when one door closes another will open.

I thought for sure that I had three other jobs after what I thought were excellent interviews. However it was not to be for those opportunities.

The job that I did get is with a family owned operation in existence for over 50 years. Good group of people. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
And another rejection came in today.

The fuckers at PWC started their rejection off:

quote:
Many thanks for applying to

At least I got a "many thanks." Roll Eyes

I'll be broke and homeless before a real job offer comes in. Going at this rate I won't even get hired at Wendy's or McDonalds.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
What we're seeing in healthcare right now is a lot of nurses and respiratory techs quitting their jobs and moving on elsewhere. Where are they going? A lot are traveling with really lucrative offers like $5k/week. Or they're going to the hospital across town offering a $25k sign on bonus.

The irony is hospitals are paying a lot of money for travelers and bonuses for new employees but offering nothing for retention of current employees.

It's amazing how stupid hospital leadership in general is when it comes to business.

Just the other day I was reading that the new head of UPMC, the second largest employer in all of PA, has a PhD... in Education! Not a M.D., mind you, and she's pulling down millions of $ while my friends that work there are paid below FMV.

The next article talks about the high turnover UPMC is experiencing and blaming it on everything other than their own inept management.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
And another rejection came in today.

The fuckers at PWC started their rejection off:

quote:
Many thanks for applying to

At least I got a "many thanks." Roll Eyes

I'll be broke and homeless before a real job offer comes in. Going at this rate I won't even get hired at Wendy's or McDonalds.

Apparently you aren't the only one experiencing difficulty finding work. Despite the worker shortage, I'm hearing anecdotes of middle-aged workers having difficulty being hired into new jobs, and especially ones who had left the work force and are trying to get back in.

I don't believe that this explains all the labor shortage problems, but I do believe that age discrimination plays a part in it.

This article is just one anecdote of a worker who applied for 60 entry level jobs, and received only one job interview:

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way Edmond...pullin' for ya man! Smile

--------------------------

A worker in Florida applied to 60 entry-level jobs in September and got one interview

Dominick Reuter Oct 19, 2021, 1:34 PM

The labor shortage is hitting fast-food restaurants. Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Businesses across the US say they are struggling to find employees, especially for hourly work.

Joey Holz decided to test their claims, submitting two applications a day in September.

Holz got one interview, and his summary of the experiment went viral on multiple platforms.

Joey Holz recalled first hearing complaints about a labor shortage last year when he called to donate convalescent plasma at a clinic near Fort Myers, Florida.

"The guy went on this rant about how he can't find help and he can't keep anybody in his medical facility because they all quit over the stimulus checks," Holz told Insider. "And I'm like, 'Your medical professionals quit over $1,200 checks? That's weird.'"

Over the next several months, the 37-year-old watched as a growing chorus of businesses said they couldn't find anyone to hire because of government stimulus money. It was so ubiquitous that he joined a "No one wants to work" Facebook group, where users made memes deriding frustrated employers.

Yours Truly puts out a sign for hiring on June 3 in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. AP/Tony Dejak

He said he found it hard to believe that government money was keeping people out of the labor force, especially when the end of expanded federal unemployment benefits did not seem to trigger a surge in employment. All expanded benefits ended in September, but 26 states – including Florida – ended them early in June and July.

"If this extra money that everyone's supposedly living off of stopped in June and it's now September, obviously, that's not what's stopping them," he said. Workers have said companies struggling to hire aren't offering competitive pay and benefits.

So Holz, a former food-service worker and charter-boat crewman, decided to run an experiment.

On September 1, he sent job applications to a pair of restaurants that had been particularly public about their staffing challenges.

Then, he widened the test and spent the remainder of the month applying to jobs — mostly at employers vocal about a lack of workers — and tracking his journey in a spreadsheet.

Two weeks and 28 applications later, he had just nine email responses, one follow-up phone call, and one interview with a construction company that advertised a full-time job focused on site cleanup paying $10 an hour.

But Holz said the construction company instead tried to offer Florida's minimum wage of $8.65 to start, even though the wage was scheduled to increase to $10 an hour on September 30. He added that it wanted full-time availability, while scheduling only part time until Holz gained seniority.

Holz said he wasn't applying for any roles he didn't qualify for.

Some jobs "wanted a high-school diploma," he said. "Some wanted retail experience," he added. "Most of them either said 'willing to train' or 'minimum experience,' and none of them were over $12 an hour."

He said: "I didn't apply for anything that required a degree. I didn't apply for anything that said 'must have six months experience in this thing.'"

Holz isn't alone. Others have also spoken out about their troubles finding work, despite the seemingly tight labor market.

In a Facebook post on September 29, which went viral on Twitter and Reddit as well, Holz said, "58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves."

"My opinion is that this is a familiar story to many," he added.

By the end of September, Holz had sent out 60 applications, received 16 email responses, four follow-up phone calls, and the solitary interview. He shared a pie chart showing his results.

Joey Holz

Holz acknowledged that his results may not be representative of the larger labor challenges in the country, since his search was local and targeted the most vocal critics of stimulus spending.

He added that despite the claims of some businesses struggling to hire, his boss had no staffing issues during the pandemic.

"Nobody leaves those positions because he takes care of his people," Holz said, referring to his boss.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Turn off the free government cash and it will fix itself.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

I don't disagree with the notion of cutting subsidies to workers able to work...but, consider Edmond's ongoing difficulties finding work or the article I posted above. Subsidies aren't the entire problem.

Consider this for a moment; the first article I posted in this thread mentioned that over 4 million workers quit their jobs in August. There was already an ongoing labor shortage, but why did so many workers suddenly quit their jobs in one single month? Certainly workers quit jobs and transitioned to other ones, but why the spike in August?

My hypothesis is that a combination of all the bad news coming out of Afghanistan coupled with employer vaccine mandates, the federal worker vaccine mandate, threats of vaccine passports and general widespread government vaccine mandates, proved to be the tipping point for many workers.

I've been letting this thread ride for a while, considering the various replies. I don't disagree with most of the comments, but I'm not sure they fully explain the labor shortage issue.

I'm convinced that this is a government caused issue. Pandemic fear, government mandated lock downs, workers afraid of catching and dying and/or spreading C-19, substantial government subsidies facilitating workers to stay home, riots in the streets with violence and destruction and cultural distress, months of hype before a contentious 2020 election, followed by months more of contention due to an election that many of us believe was stolen, followed up by the most disastrous first-year presidencies in U.S. history with one debacle after another, culminating in various C-19 vaccine mandates. The last few years have been a meat grinder.

The world in general, other countries more specifically (Australia, France) and U.S. citizens specifically have been hammered by bad news and stress. I'm no expert but my instincts tell me that the average U.S. citizen has had enough.

The routine of working, getting up, getting ready, going to work and doing the job, coming home and a general separation of home and work life, that becomes a habit. During the lock downs many workers were able to work from home and grew accustomed to it. No commute, saves money, more relaxed and comfortable work environment...of course it comes with its own set of problems as well.

But unemployed workers acclimated to being "paid" to stay home. It becomes a learned behavior. With all the infringements on freedom, with all the rising inflationary costs, with all the dangers surrounding the virus (both real and hype) and with all the dangers of riots and violence...with all the bad news, I mean why bother getting out of bed and looking for a job?

I was a kid during the Carter presidency, I didn't have to worry about finding a job or finding gas during the gas crisis, or worrying about how inflationary prices were going to affect our family finances, or the Watergate scandal or the American hostages in Iran, because my Dad had to worry about those things...

...but even though I didn't have to deal with any of those things, I still remember hearing about all those problems on the nightly news when my Dad would turn the TV on. Even as a kid, I distinctly remember a general feeling of concern, of distress, of bad news...even a kid could feel it in the air. I didn't understand these things, but I understood that the adults in my life were concerned about them and if they were bothered by them then I should be too.

I believe that, in addition to all the other factors mentioned in this thread, that the labor shortage is government caused, and that there is a general malaise permeating the American psyche.

I also distinctly remember that the moment Ronald Reagan was inaugurated in 1980, on the news of the hostages being released from Iran, there was a collective sigh of American relief and hope. Dread and uncertainty was almost instantly replaced with peace of mind, hope, and confidence that we had a leader at the helm who would keep us safe and free us up to live our lives productively. I could feel this too. In fact, there was such a sense of relief and hope when President Reagan took office that the sentiment made its way into movies like Iron Eagle.

I realize that this comparison has been made before, but the feeling I have right now is the same feeling I recall as a kid in the '70s, only maybe even more extreme and bleak now.

The U.S. is a much more diverse and divided population and I don't think there is any leader that could unite us but, to the extent possible, the American worker needs to see and feel hope if they are going to be inspired to return to work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
If you think we are paying out a lot to subsidize all these youngsters now, wait till the future when there parents can't pay anymore and they have to survive on there own.
They will in the process of survival, demand the Gov. pay them more to do nothing.
Unfortunately they will get it because any politician that wants to get elected will have to give it to them.
The have not's will well outnumber the rest of us.
The bright side, Any person with half a brain will be greatly sought after by employers.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The earlier article about medical workers quitting over stimulus $ is ridiculous. We all know why they quit or found work elsewhere.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

I don't disagree with the notion of cutting subsidies to workers able to work...but, consider Edmond's ongoing difficulties finding work or the article I posted above. Subsidies aren't the entire problem.

Consider this for a moment; the first article I posted in this thread mentioned that over 4 million workers quit their jobs in August. There was already an ongoing labor shortage, but why did so many workers suddenly quit their jobs in one single month? Certainly workers quit jobs and transitioned to other ones, but why the spike in August?

My hypothesis is that a combination of all the bad news coming out of Afghanistan coupled with employer vaccine mandates, the federal worker vaccine mandate, threats of vaccine passports and general widespread government vaccine mandates, proved to be the tipping point for many workers.

I've been letting this thread ride for a while, considering the various replies. I don't disagree with most of the comments, but I'm not sure they fully explain the labor shortage issue.

I'm convinced that this is a government caused issue. Pandemic fear, government mandated lock downs, workers afraid of catching and dying and/or spreading C-19, substantial government subsidies facilitating workers to stay home, riots in the streets with violence and destruction and cultural distress, months of hype before a contentious 2020 election, followed by months more of contention due to an election that many of us believe was stolen, followed up by the most disastrous first-year presidencies in U.S. history with one debacle after another, culminating in various C-19 vaccine mandates. The last few years have been a meat grinder.

The world in general, other countries more specifically (Australia, France) and U.S. citizens specifically have been hammered by bad news and stress. I'm no expert but my instincts tell me that the average U.S. citizen has had enough.

The routine of working, getting up, getting ready, going to work and doing the job, coming home and a general separation of home and work life, that becomes a habit. During the lock downs many workers were able to work from home and grew accustomed to it. No commute, saves money, more relaxed and comfortable work environment...of course it comes with its own set of problems as well.

But unemployed workers acclimated to being "paid" to stay home. It becomes a learned behavior. With all the infringements on freedom, with all the rising inflationary costs, with all the dangers surrounding the virus (both real and hype) and with all the dangers of riots and violence...with all the bad news, I mean why bother getting out of bed and looking for a job?

I was a kid during the Carter presidency, I didn't have to worry about finding a job or finding gas during the gas crisis, or worrying about how inflationary prices were going to affect our family finances, or the Watergate scandal or the American hostages in Iran, because my Dad had to worry about those things...

...but even though I didn't have to deal with any of those things, I still remember hearing about all those problems on the nightly news when my Dad would turn the TV on. Even as a kid, I distinctly remember a general feeling of concern, of distress, of bad news...even a kid could feel it in the air. I didn't understand these things, but I understood that the adults in my life were concerned about them and if they were bothered by them then I should be too.

I believe that, in addition to all the other factors mentioned in this thread, that the labor shortage is government caused, and that there is a general malaise permeating the American psyche.

I also distinctly remember that the moment Ronald Reagan was inaugurated in 1980, on the news of the hostages being released from Iran, there was a collective sigh of American relief and hope. Dread and uncertainty was almost instantly replaced with peace of mind, hope, and confidence that we had a leader at the helm who would keep us safe and free us up to live our lives productively. I could feel this too. In fact, there was such a sense of relief and hope when President Reagan took office that the sentiment made its way into movies like Iron Eagle.

I realize that this comparison has been made before, but the feeling I have right now is the same feeling I recall as a kid in the '70s, only maybe even more extreme and bleak now.

The U.S. is a much more diverse and divided population and I don't think there is any leader that could unite us but, to the extent possible, the American worker needs to see and feel hope if they are going to be inspired to return to work.

Your points very much echo what one of my kids has chatted with me about when discussing the future with many of his friends and coworkers; they are so discouraged about the future that they see no point in working long hours or even saving for retirement or anything else.

Naturally, many factors are at work here but the almost continual drumbeat of looming disasters on the part of most all media outlets is simply destroying the zeitgeist of this nation.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
And what happens to the gravy train when we, the taxpayers, retire and/or die off. Stop taking in tax dollars and there are no dollars to give away.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
And what happens to the gravy train when we, the taxpayers, retire and/or die off. Stop taking in tax dollars and there are no dollars to give away.

Same thing that happens now, the fewer productive people will be taxed even higher.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There are various issues:

1. you can't just apply for a job, you have to do shit like network, get a mentor and kiss someone's ass so they can refer you.

2. the people who write job requirements should be brought to Juarez and hung from the overpasses. Requirements are ridiculous and oftentimes contradictory.

3. nurses have quit their jobs to go work as travel nurses elsewhere because travel nursing is pay $50-60/hour plus per diem and an allowance for housing. They are likely able to pay this due to federal government money.

4. HR is neither a human nor a resource. They just plain fucking suck. Do your fucking job instead of using control F to look over resumes.

5. most jobs looking for people are low paying service jobs. There aren't these wonderful $100k jobs that employers can't fill. The low paying jobs are vacant for a reason.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Edmond. My wife is/was a manager in corporate Accounting. The company my wife used to work for was owned by private equity and they sold the business in fall of 2019. June 1, 2020 the new buyer closed the Denver office and consolidated to their larger corporate office in California.

She's been looking for an Accounting manager position for the past 16 months. She got an offer this past Thursday and starts Nov 8.

It's a tough market for well paying, white collar jobs.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. the people who write job requirements should be brought to Juarez and hung from the overpasses. Requirements are ridiculous and oftentimes contradictory.
Can't we do it here? I hate to see good jobs leaving the country.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mark60:

Confiscation of private property. They are already floating a "wealth " tax where everything you own will be subject to additional annual taxation.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 million came across the border this year. They can live without having job, housing, medical, etc. . Maybe Americans are realizing they can do it too.

posted Hide Post
3 million came across the border this year. They can live without having job, housing, medical, etc. . Maybe Americans are realizing they can do it too.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I propose we eliminate unemployment.

I also propose that we eliminate minimum wage laws.

Instead, I propose we create a civil job corps that 1) guarantees a job within or below your physical capacity, and 2) pays exactly 75% of an adjusted living wage for an adult + child in that geographic region. Enough to get by, but still need to keep your belt cinched.

This will basically set the market rate for minimum wage. If picking up litter or filling potholes is beneath you, you are more than welcome to accept a job at a retail fast food joint for below the civil service wage.

This removes the incentive to passively collect unemployment.

Overall, the program might "cost" more money, but we get a number of benefits:

1) there is now a system to guarantee income to everyone;

2) A physical person must report to a job supervised by another physical person, which my reduce corruption and abuse.

3) the Gov't derives some utility from the money spent in the form of labor for basic tasks.

4) civil job hours can help build a resume and give opportunities for job and skills training for those who want to get off of subsistence wages and move up.

5) people with less idle time will have less opportunity to fall prey to substance abuse

6) support infrastructure for poor people can be built using this subsidized labor--child care, transportation, management and supervisors, can be staffed using civil job corps labor.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I propose we eliminate unemployment.
I also propose that we eliminate minimum wage laws.
Instead, I propose we create a civil job corps...

I would prefer eliminating unemployment and minimum wage laws (and welfare) WITHOUT your proposed program, but since I know it won't happen... what you propose is better than paying people NOT to work.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post