SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snakes on a plane…err snakes in the garden.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snakes on a plane…err snakes in the garden. Login/Join 
Picture of dubya
posted
Snakes are often an issue particularly on a farm. I’m told today by someone who works in the Texas prison system in central Texas they had 8 inmates working their gardens bitten by snakes today - two in critical condition. “ In Texas, we have 3 groups of these snakes: Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Rattlesnakes.” I don’t know which did all this biting today.

Other than keeping grass cut short and keeping landscaping at a minimum do you have other snake deterrents that work?

Edit: Are you seeing a lot of snakes this year? We are…

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If I had that problem, I would buy some black snakes and build some brush piles around for their home.

https://backwaterreptiles.com/...-snake-for-sale.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other than keeping grass cut short and keeping landscaping at a minimum do you have other snake deterrents that work?
My neighborhood was a 1000 acres of pine forest and swamp 5 years ago. We have had our share rats and snakes. Rat bait stations is something I do as there is no reason for snakes to come around when there are no rats.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I live in a typical city neighborhood, the houses are fairly close to each other.

Couple weeks ago I was in my driveway and saw a coral snake traveling from the street to my neighbor's front yard.

I like having the "good" snakes around, but not the venomous ones, I got to the garage as quickly as I could, to grab a hoe to dispatch the snake, but the snake had disappeared by the time I returned.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Here we only have the good snakes. I haven’t seen one in a while, move them away from the mower if needed.

I did dispatch a copperhead in MO years ago. My snake I.D. possibly less than average. I’m always suspect when not a common, Garter, Copper Belly, or Grass Snake.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The commonly held belief of the populace of the Jerkwater metro region is that around the beginning of August our rattlesnake mating season begins. Everybody redoubles their vigilance because this time of year you not only see more rattlers, but they’re also more fractious. We’ve had some monsoon rains already and are coming off a couple years drought, so I think the next month will be pretty snakey here.

It could be that it’s snake mating time in your area as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubya:

Remove their food source and they will stay away. This is not a quick fix, but over time you can almost entirely discourage the snakes from coming around. Food source = mostly rodents. Remove rodent habitats, poison them, whatever it takes.

Here in AZ, in our particular environment (creosote flats), rodents love to burrow under the creosote and other bushes. You can see their tunnels starting outside the bush and angling down into the root area. For the 2 acres we keep fenced for our dogs, I took my Kubota tractor and pulled out all of the bushes, leaving a desert wasteland. We keep it that way with applications of pre-emergent chemicals and glyphosate for already growing stuff. Rarely have we seen snakes in this area in our 19 years here, but they are plentiful on our other 4 acres and throughout the neighborhood.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A king snake just moved into the neighborhood and is now patrolling our property. Haven’t seen any of our resident copperheads lately. They all must be on vacation. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
The herpetoligist (sp?) on a website I frequent (snakes of the appalachians type thing) claim that there are no sprays or pellets (mothballs) that work at all. The only way is to keep the mice and other food items out of your house and yard. No food - no snakes (other than those that are just passing through).

There are pictures of snakes sleeping on top of snake repellents....

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two black snakes that hang around and found this shed a month or so ago.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Tampa, and we had snakes then. When I lived in Hatteras snakes were all over-mostly moccasins.
I’ve seen people use mothballs, snake away and other home brewed stuff…NONE of it works .

You must remove their food source. And I imagine you can’t keep bunnies out of a garden, so there s that.
A kindergarten kid got bit last year in Killeen ISD so our ISD issued snake hooks to staff to go check the playground before kids are released. They haven’t seen one because they don’t have any rats or rabbits to eat at the elementary school.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
All snakes have the potential to become a good snake. I have no confidence in folks who call some species "good" snakes. I do have faith in making one a good snake. The best method was mentioned earlier, by the use of a hoe. There are actually fools who like snakes. I like to shoot them or run over them. Makes them good, as in good and dead.

Running over them with the truck or jeep sometimes works. Locking up the brakes as you go over them most assuredly makes them good, or at least smears them along the road. I've been told that snakes will even bite after they're dead. Common sense says locking up the brakes and smearing them until the truck stops 15 feet along will tend to make them less likely to bite anyone or any dog.

Other tidbits, snakes don't like gasoline. But with the current bastard as president, its going to get to over $5 a gallon. A small price to pay for effective snake control.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I live in a typical city neighborhood, the houses are fairly close to each other.

I got to the garage as quickly as I could, to grab a hoe
I realize you have more than enough ho's in Fla., but do people really keep the extras in the garage?

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Black snakes around here, wife hated them until I explained they keep the area safe.

Lucky enough don't see a lot of others yet, but with all the expanding building around here the probability that something we don't normally see showing up has increased.

Posts: 23397 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good snake, very good snake Big Grin

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I realize you have more than enough ho's in Fla., but do people really keep the extras in the garage?
Some of us do. My wife put her foot down when I wanted to bring the ho into the house.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a mice problem. They shit everywhere. And little ninjas. I saw one on my counter top and lickety-split the little shitter vaulted onto and into the oven. Pulled it out, shit everywhere, and the were getting into the house from the ground level, and were in the 40-year old (original) attic insulation. Terminix took care of that, and replaced our insulation. Yeah, major hit on the wallet. Used steel wool and caulk to close up the gaps and sealed entries into the kitchen from below. Plenty of glue traps netted another 5 or 6 desperate mice. That was it.

My neighbors must have inherited them as a month or two later they got the same treatment. I still cannot get over how much they shit.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

Some of us do. My wife put her foot down when I wanted to bring the ho into the house.

That ho was way too skinny for my tastes.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Had a 5'+ black rat snake on my patio Sunday afternoon. It usually shows up a couple of times a year here and just heads for the natural areas in my yard. I just hope one of the neighbors doesn't panic and kill it.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been told that chickens are hell on snakes.....anyone know if that true ??

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post