Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Lee Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I would be more worried if I lived in Bermuda.

Posts: 9115 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I would be more comfortable if the various weather folks were predicting that it was coming straight for us.

Posts: 15972 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Not really. NHC has greatly improved their forcasting long term. We only got a three day notice of Katrina. Friday afternoon it was predicted to hit Florida, a day later it was the MS.Gulf Coast. Now it is five days notice. If you want the scoop without any hype look at the NHC site. It has the track and the rationale.

Posts: 17366 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, we're due to sail south from the Northeast to Louisiana right about the time that Hurricane looks to be coming up the coast.

Shit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I would be more worried if I lived in Bermuda.

Nah, I wouldn't. The Bermuda would swallow Lee up whole.

Q

Posts: 26836 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Hmmm, we're due to sail south from the Northeast to Louisiana right about the time that Hurricane looks to be coming up the coast.

Shit.

Break the anchor windlass?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31572 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I thought I had posted this,

https://earth.nullschool.net/#...2/loc=-77.278,37.382

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10465 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Just remember, while the models do a pretty good job of predicting the path of hurricanes, the models do a shitty job of predicting intensity.

No kidding. From 5am on Thursday to 5am on Friday that thing went from 80mph winds to 165mph winds. Way, way quicker, and stronger, than any forecast on Thursday morning. And now they are saying 180mph is possible. Whew, please, please stay out to sea.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the NHC discussions they discuss intensity. However it is true that the models for intensity are less reliable.

Posts: 17366 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Looks like Hurricane Lee will stay "safely" offshore. Stay tuned for the next catastrophe!

Lee

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2010 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23777 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Looks like Hurricane Lee will stay "safely" offshore. Stay tuned for the next catastrophe!
The fearmongering news media must be heartbroken to hear that.

It used to be- decades ago- that the news media reported on these events in earnest. It may be hard for younger people to believe, but it's true. The media conveyed information about such events which was intended to allow the public to make decisions which would keep them and their their families safe; it was a public service. But now, these reptiles just see dollar signs. It's sickening to listen to the fearmongering; for example, talking about the "unprecedented" hurricane- the last one which passed through Florida, which, even now, I'm having trouble remembering its name. They pull this shit all the time and I am sick of it. Ever since Katrina- which was not taken seriously until after it hit New Orleans- these snakes gin up fear at the first possible moment and they keep it up until well after a storm has subsided. Every storm is "the big one" and the underlying message is- yep, you guessed t: climate change. We're all gonna die. Every. Time.

Posts: 108169 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forecasting has improved along with 24 hr media to create an event the rest of the nation can enjoy. Hurricane Camille in 1969 rated a blurb from Walter Conkrite. Katrina caused a flood in NOLA when the levees broke but absolutely destroyed 28 miles of shoreline in Mississippi where the eye came ashore. I try to just read the coverage at the NHC which is accurate and without hype. All this stupidity was started by Dan Rather in Hurricane Carla when he held on to a pole when the storm made landfall. I guess it is vicarious pleasure watching someone else's life being torn apart.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
The fearmongering news media must be heartbroken to hear that.

It used to be- decades ago- that the news media reported on these events in earnest. It may be hard for younger people to believe, but it's true. The media conveyed information about such events which was intended to allow the public to make decisions which would keep them and their their families safe; it was a public service. But now, these reptiles just see dollar signs. It's sickening to listen to the fearmongering; for example, talking about the "unprecedented" hurricane- the last one which passed through Florida, which, even now, I'm having trouble remembering its name. They pull this shit all the time and I am sick of it. Ever since Katrina- which was not taken seriously until after it hit New Orleans- these snakes gin up fear at the first possible moment and they keep it up until well after a storm has subsided. Every storm is "the big one" and the underlying message is- yep, you guessed t: climate change. We're all gonna die. Every. Time.

I wish it was just climate change, but it's EVERYTHING in the media now (and I mean all media right, left, "center (if that exists any more"): Guns, crime, salt, natural gas, nuclear power, paper straws, plastic bags, education, medicine, the Barbie movie, you name it.

If you're for it, THEY'RE GONNA TAKE IT AWAY!!

If you're against it, IT'S COMING TO GET YOU!!!!

If you are just trying to learn about the situation to make up your own mind, F*^K OFF!! Facts don't sell (clicks, papers, ads, whatever)! Your eyeballs and brain cells need not linger here.

I'm 54 years old and I can't stand to read most "news" AT ALL it's so short of facts. And I think I'm too young to be saying "dadgumit it wasn't like that in my day" but it sure feels like it.

But everyone be sure to read my Bubble man poll for an example of real, important news at NPR (which, to be fair, they did label as strange news). I bet Hurricane Lee would have solved that issue.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2010 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3. It is way too soon to know what level of impacts, if any, Lee
might have along the U.S. East Coast, Atlantic Canada, or Bermuda
late next week, particularly since the hurricane is expected to
slow down considerably over the southwestern Atlantic. Regardless,
dangerous surf and rip currents are expected along most of the U.S.
East Coast beginning Sunday. Continue to monitor updates to Lee's
forecast during the next several days.
ABOVE from NHC site. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/...+shtml/081454.shtml?

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Classic

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is an idiot thought he was fired.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That was from Hurricane Matthew.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I never saw that. What an asshole!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38890 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I live in the Gulf Coast so I keep an eye on hurricanes. I don't mean watching the news, but instead mean keeping an eye on National Hurricane Center, Tropical Tidbits (i.e. where Spaghetti Models points), and hype free sites (e.g. Houston focused Space City Weather).

The reason is that the news and social media "weather" people pull shit that'd make the paparazzi blush. For example, last hurricane season one of the assclowns was fearmongering depressions off the coast of Africa that at best were 15+ days out (if they even formed, if they even made landfall, if, if, if, etc), but zero models were considered even relatively accurate more than 10 days out. I suspect it was just to drive traffic to his social media sites.

As far as Lee, as of one minute ago zero models on Tropical Tidbits are showing it hitting CONUS. Might hit Canada. In other words, the stage it's at is a check on the models once or twice a day but don't lose sleep over it. However, some of the mainstream media has Hurricane Lee banners scrolling across the screen while others have it at the top of the site with titles including words like "historic."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23430 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post