SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man in hamster ball wants to "walk" from Florida to England
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man in hamster ball wants to "walk" from Florida to England Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted
So this citizen of the United States wants to exercise his American freedom by "walking" in his bubble from Florida to England. It appears that the US Government has spent north of $150,000 already keeping this person from his dream. LINK

SO:

Question:
Should we , the United States, let him go off on his dream?

Choices:
Yes! Hasta la vista, you won't be missed.
No! Fools like this shouldn't be allowed to try stunts like this that endanger themselves and others who want to help them.
It depends

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, but when it goes south, you are on your own.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Amelia Island to Land's End is a bit over 4k miles

Not sure how this is possible with a support ship/boat along for the ride for food & such

What's the average speed of walking on water in a bubble? Gotta think it's lower than the average walking speed on land or roughly 3mph
Even at 3mph, it would take around 55 days if you went non-stop 24hrs/day...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If he’s not endangering anyone or costing anyone time/money, then we’re all entitled to our private chats with Darwin and Murphy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12742 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I don't like the "you won't be missed" part. Because I will miss the first Iranian I've ever heard of that I am certain I'd like. Rock on man! I voted YES!

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Not sure how this is possible with a support ship/boat along for the ride for food & such

What's the average speed of walking on water in a bubble? Gotta think it's lower than the average walking speed on land or roughly 3mph

Plus currents. Guessing he's done some math to determine it's feasible.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Plus currents. Guessing he's done some math to determine it's feasible.

**SNORT!** Giggle! Yeah, I'm sure he's run the numbers and is good to go. Thought of everything. All SQUARED away!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
New definition for "high drift factor" here with this character.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
No question, he should be allowed to go.

Godspeed, sir.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Heck business is it of the government to prevent the guy from doing this?

Posts: 10986 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
People die every day. At least this guy would leave a cool obituary. He's clearly determined, and he's not hurting anybody else. He sounds awesome, let him do his thing. Kind of like that "Mad Mike" guy who blew himself up with a rocket in the desert...definitely a more badass way to go out than most of us are going to get.

And this was sad. Poor guy:

quote:
And they sank his bubble as a hazard to navigation. "They shot, they sink my bubble," Baluchi told VICE. "No more bubble I have."

Posts: 8609 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
People die every day. At least this guy would leave a cool obituary.

Graveyards are filling up with stones that say:
"He died doing what he loved"

Hey, if this is what he wants to do, well, rock on homie! But don't go endangering anyone else in your antics, please.

I do a side job for TowBoat US. The guys I work with and I put our asses on the line more than we should going to get someone who decided not to listen to the weather report. As a Cop, I find myself way too many times stopping people from being too dumb to help themselves, at my own risk.

This guy? Well right now, there's not one, but two big ass hurricanes between Florida and where he's walking to, so,I'm going to put him in the "not too smart" category.
Eehh, he can probably just walk around the storm. Roll Eyes

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8355 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Yes, but when it goes south, you are on your own.

Pretty sure England is north and east from Florida.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Maybe he can stop off and visit the Titanic on his trip.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Aquatic bubble man. Did I get that right ? So, can we watch him by satellite ? Oh damn, he's going in circles. Hope he's having fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...2%80%93Kruger_effect

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Hell yes... let him go...But make sure that he understands that when things go south and he wants to be resuced that he will be own his own devices...MEANS NO HELP COMING...... some time ago have worked in several shelters for and during hurricanes... Have had people wanted to leave the safety of the shelter but when i handed them a "sharpie marks-a-lot" and told them to use the marker to write their ssn on the inside of one of their arms or leg thighs so the writeing could be used to identify their bodies after things settled down because we or anybody else will not come to help them till after the weather event is over. Usual response was that they decieded to stay in the shelter. ....Sometime it is impossible to protect people from their own stupidity................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Apparently this whack job threatened to kill himself with a 12 inch knife and stated he had a bomb aboard. I will try to find the link.

ETA: https://www.independent.co.uk/...-wheel-b2405503.html

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well, if he had a registered vessel...

Posts: 9164 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Maybe he can stop off and visit the Titanic on his trip.

I had the same thought.
They didn't stop the stupid sub guy... why stop this guy?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24146 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I say go for it. One less idiot in the world seems like a good thing.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post