Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Lee Login/Join 
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
From the moment this storm was seen, it was known as extremely unlikely to reach the Eastern seaboard. Didn't stop the hysteria. 10 years ago we would have barely even heard of it.

Posts: 2908 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Still not looking like huge impacts on NE, but that does illustrate how inaccurate their models and steering estimates can be days and weeks out. By their I mean the actual NHC, not the local panic-purveyors.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12506 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
From the moment this storm was seen, it was known as extremely unlikely to reach the Eastern seaboard. Didn't stop the hysteria. 10 years ago we would have barely even heard of it.

For some reason utube decided I wanted to watch weather updates from utube weathermen. Everyone one of them were fantastical. They would show you the models on the expected path and then tell you how it *MIGHT* still hit Florida and we should all stay tuned. Roll Eyes

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are still pretty accurate. In the past the models only went out three days.

Posts: 17370 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Still not looking like huge impacts on NE, but that does illustrate how inaccurate their models and steering estimates can be days and weeks out. By their I mean the actual NHC, not the local panic-purveyors.

It did what they said it would, that’s good enough for me.

Posts: 11203 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's shaping up (i.e. still modeling error but now in the good enough accuracy timeline) to make landfall as a tropical storm not a hurricane. However, it's forecast to have a larger storm surge than a typical tropical storm. If it tracks up the Bay of Fundy, the storm surge could be magnified by the Bay and high tide.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned some hype free weather sources. One that I mentioned is Houston focused (SpaceCity Weather) and it gained notoriety in Hurricane Harvey. The two meterologists, Matt Lanza and Eric Berger, that started SCW have spun off a sister site, The Eyewall, that focuses on all US hurricanes and tropical storms, and once again without the hype. Their update from this morning is where I snagged the intel on the Bay of Fundy, and it's presented as a possibility without hype.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23434 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post