SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Full size pickup quandary
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full size pickup quandary Login/Join 
posted
I keep vehicles for about 15 years before buying a new replacement. My 2003 Silverado has gotten to that point where it's got a number of unrepaired items that don't affect drive ability which would cost more to fix than I want to spend on it so I'm considering replacing it. Want another full size with a 6.5' bed which would be reliable first and have nice features second. Five foot beds are a little shorter than I prefer and 8' beds too long.

If my choices for a 2018 were F-150, another Silverado (or its GM twin) or Toyota's full size, which would you recommend and why? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Toyota. Having owned vehicles from all of the domestics, there is honestly no comparison in quality.

The only negative about the larger 5.7 liter V8 (there is also a 4.6 V8 available) is that it is thirsty. But the money you’ll save in repairs more than makes up for it over your stated 15 years of truck ownership.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel which I'm happy with, If I wanted a gas engine it would of been the Toyota Tundra.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Ford F-150. It's not the #1 selling truck for no reason.

GM makes some good looking trucks but I'm no GM fan and over the years I have had better reliability out Ford.

Toyota makes a great truck too (and would be #2 on my list of your three) but tend to be over priced. If you could get a Toyota equally equipped to a Ford for the same price then I would definitely consider it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a Tundra here.

Having owned numerous GMC/Chevy and Dodge products, I can say without reservation that the build quality on my Tundra is MUCH better. Better fit and finish, better ride, better seats, quieter and if my two Corollas are any measure, better rust proofing.

And when you live on the Northeast Atlantic Coast, rustproofing is a big deal.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m not going to give u my opinion except to say whatever you choose you’ll be surprised at the improvements over your 2003 model

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

Because they count GMC & Chevrolet trucks sales separately?

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I’m not going to give u my opinion except to say whatever you choose you’ll be surprised at the improvements over your 2003 model

^^^^
This. I bought a 2017 GMC Sierra in November to replace my 2011 Silverado and the improvements were numerous. I have always been a 'Chevy/GMC guy' so it was an easy decision. While liking the looks of Ford, Toyota, etc., I knew I would only be happy by staying with what I've always liked. If you truly have no preference between brands then the choice will be more difficult.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get a Silverado/Sierra. Those that are suggesting other brands for superior reliability may be overlooking the fact that you have a 14 year old Chevy (I have one 15 years old) that is still reliable. Not sure how much better it gets.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I was an F150 man for years. I wen with Toyota Tundra this time. The depreciation comparison between the two is unreal. A 10 year old F150 with 150,000+ is virtually worthless compared to a Toyota in the same condition. I looked at the F150, it’s a fine truck, it the Tundra seemed more substantial.

I’m still a bit iffy on Aluminum, although they will all go that way ay eventually.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I love the Tundra truck. Never get to own one due to price but they are a excellent built truck. Next in line for me would be the Ram and Cummins. Those trucks are some stout built pieces of equipment.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
I keep vehicles for about 15 years before buying a new replacement... Want another full size with a 6.5' bed which would be reliable first and have nice features second.

You want a Tundra. It will be the most reliable over the long run. It is also one of the most made in America vehicles that you can buy, being primarily produced and assembled in San Antonio, Texas by non-UAW labor. My 2014 was listed as 75% US content by the NHTSA Part 583 reports. It would be higher if you only looked at Tundras with the 5.7L engine, as the excellent 4.6L base engine being sold in some of them is still being produced in Japan.

I often see complaints about Toyota being slower to adopt new technologies compared to the American brands, and then I see the additional reliability problems the American brands have. In fact the Ford F150 is now being looked at for safety issues regarding the transmission abruptly downshifting into 1st gear while driving at highway speeds, causing loss of control when the rear tires essentially lock up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...0-pickups/993388001/

I purchased my 2014 Tundra Crewmax Limited new for $3k below invoice which was a great price. 3 years later and I can still sell it for more then I paid for it. The only reason some say they are "overpriced" is because GM/Ford/Dodge have to offer so many cash back incentives just to keep the sales volume up. Toyota does not have to offer those incentives. You will also make back the minor difference in initial price with decreased out of warranty repair bills and higher resale value.

Ford makes a good truck, and I strongly considered one as well, but with overall quality and reliability as my #1 requirement the Tundra was the winner.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

Because they count GMC & Chevrolet trucks sales separately?

Ford still outsells GMC and chebby combined.

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'd get a Silverado/Sierra. Those that are suggesting other brands for superior reliability may be overlooking the fact that you have a 14 year old Chevy (I have one 15 years old) that is still reliable. Not sure how much better it gets.

I’ve never seen a domestic with nearly 300,000 miles not use a ton of oil.

With Tundras, it is commonplace to not even need to check the oil between oil changes. Meaning that Toyota uses better quality valve seals and piston rings.

Ford has problems with the eco boost engines. Chebby has piston slap and transmission problems. Fiat/Chrysler has electrical and transmission problems.

The sad truth is the domestic companies refuse to build vehicles as reliable as Toyota because they know they will still make sales just on brand loyalty.

———————————————

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have 20k miles in about 15 months on my 2wd 2016 F150 XLT.
I've got the 2.7EcoBoost V6 & average around 20mpg (18-22 depending on driving/conditions).

It tows our cargo trailer with ease & had no problem hauling a Honda Civic from Houston to Albuquerque on a tow dolly.

I've had 2 2018 2.7 F150s for loaners while mine was in for repair on the sunroof & the 10 speed in the 2018 works pretty well. The first loaner I had seemed to hunt for gears at slower traffic speeds, but the one I had last week worked a lot better.

My 2nd choice would've been a Silverado/Sierra, but I'm very much not a fan of the 2019 redesign.

Tundra would've been my 3rd choice for a full-size truck. I believe the current Tundra design has been in service for 10 years now. Likely due for a redesign soon. Have driven my father-in-law's '07 a few times & just not as much of a fan as the Ford/Chevrolet.

With the Ram & Titan being a distant 11th & 12th place (not a fan of either).

Stepping down to a mid-size, I'd probably go Tacoma, Ridgeline, Colorado/Canyon, Frontier.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15338 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
39000 miles on my 2015 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4 with no issues. 2.7L EcoBoost engine averaging 20mpg with a pretty even split between city/hwy. I don’t tow so can’t comment on that, but it sure gets up and goes when needed.

Sticker on it was around $44K, but discounts, rebates, etc brought it down to $37K. Tundra may be a better truck, but it was out of my price range. Hell, my F150 was only $3K more than a comparably equipped Tacoma and there are no significant dealer discounts or rebates on Toyota trucks.

The F150 comfortably seats 5 full size adults and can squeeze 6 if one is skinny. Taco was tight with 4 and not real comfortable for a “plus size” person.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10943 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'll buy GM until I get one that isn't great. 5 straight keep me coming back. Sold my last Z71 after 14 years and with 273k miles and very little maintenance/repairs. Got $5300 for it. Bought another one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with GMC/Chevy pickups. Still have an 87 Blazer. Tried a Dodge Hemi Ram back in 2004. Piece of junk and I got rid of it after 6 months. We pull a fifth wheel and ride and comfort are important. We test drove GMC, Chevy, and Ford and the best ride up front and in the back seat were the GMC\Chevy pickups. Would love to give Toyota a chance but the local dealer keeps the price way up. But then pulling a fifth wheel sort of knocks Toyota out.

Take a lot of test drives with different brands. What works for some may not work for all.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I found the Toyota to be lacking inside compared to the others. I didn’t think the seats were comfortable at all. YOU have to drive each model , more than just around the block and see what feels the best to you. I’ve owned trucks from all manufacturers, and have a Ford F-350 currently. I’ve owned more Fords than anything. But you have to examine and drive them all and see which one fits you. Good luck.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I like long term durability, I value that over about everything else.

F-150 sporting the V-8, Toyota a close second. I have utmost confidence in my local Ford shop, that made the decision for me.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post