SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Project - Marine Diesel Engine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Project - Marine Diesel Engine Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hooray and double hooray and thanks for the video. I love these little Yanmars. I like the 3 cylinder ones the best as that is what has saved me the most over time but on all of them the factory filter is a little bit weak so I wouldn't run it in some real application without a serious water separating filter inline (contrary to jimmy123x??? who is usually my go to guy on these things) I use a racor normally but all of them are pretty much the same. You need to be able to see a bowl and drain to evaluate issues and address them before they become problems and the factory little thing does none of that. On my last boat I used two inline and that saved me from bad fuel many times. They sip fuel.Be a great motor for some project...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Hooray and double hooray and thanks for the video. I love these little Yanmars. I like the 3 cylinder ones the best as that is what has saved me the most over time but on all of them the factory filter is a little bit weak so I wouldn't run it in some real application without a serious water separating filter inline (contrary to jimmy123x??? who is usually my go to guy on these things) I use a racor normally but all of them are pretty much the same. You need to be able to see a bowl and drain to evaluate issues and address them before they become problems and the factory little thing does none of that. On my last boat I used two inline and that saved me from bad fuel many times. They sip fuel.Be a great motor for some project...

I too would have a racor on it if it was in actual use. Dahl's work to but are a PITA to change filters and filter elements are hard to find. To just start on an engine stand, it's not necessary for anything since you know your fuel is good. IN Actual use, I would have a fuel/water seperator installed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jimmy123x I'm feeling a little better now, because
"The Dahl is a pre-filter. It's not necessary" gave me a little scare since there was no carve out for that meaning only while you get it running...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sat in a seminar at our sail club once where an expert explained to us why there was no reason to winterize the fuel system because of the water separator filter... and so that Winter I did not fill/top off the tank.... next Spring I could not get that little bugger to fire off for anything... bled and primed like crazy... finally decided to completely drain the 12 gallon tank.... it had close to two gallons of water in it from the condensation over the Winter.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With that much water I would suspect a bad o ring on the deck filler cap. I have seen that many times.
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Sat in a seminar at our sail club once where an expert explained to us why there was no reason to winterize the fuel system because of the water separator filter... and so that Winter I did not fill/top off the tank.... next Spring I could not get that little bugger to fire off for anything... bled and primed like crazy... finally decided to completely drain the 12 gallon tank.... it had close to two gallons of water in it from the condensation over the Winter.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
With that much water I would suspect a bad o ring on the deck filler cap. I have seen that many times.
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Yup, bad deck fuel fill o-ring is the only way to get that much water in that size tank sitting. With the cold temps the old o-ring didn't seal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Now it needs a home.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Cooling was likely by a heat exchanger with fresh water/antifreeze flowing through the block for cooling. You could rig a garden hose and run fresh water through the block for test purposes. Long term when you stationary mount it, radiator or heat exchanger in the dory can be fabricated.

That particular model that you have is probably raw water cooled, does not have a heat exchanger. Older models were usually that way, new model Yanmars always have heat exchangers, but not yours.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Interesting. That's a whole lot of metal for 8 hp.

Indeed!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post