SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Project - Marine Diesel Engine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Project - Marine Diesel Engine Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a heat exchanger, sea water cooled. If it has a heat exchanger it will have a coolant reservoir with a "radiator cap". Good little engines. I'm in the sailboat biz and there are a lot of the one banger Yanmars on sailboats to about 25'. I'm working on one right now trying to descale the water jacket. It's also sea water cooled and 20+ years has clogged it up.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a heat exchanger, sea water cooled. If it has a heat exchanger it will have a coolant reservoir with a "radiator cap". Good little engines. I'm in the sailboat biz and there are a lot of the one banger Yanmars on sailboats to about 25'. I'm working on one right now trying to descale the water jacket. It's also sea water cooled and 20+ years has clogged it up.

Thanks, good to know.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15232 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I used to work on Cummins 902 s and the water exchange system was on the block. Sea water came into a tube bundle where it took heat away from the closed system full of antifreeze. And the seawater went out into the exhaust system...

I thought you were a GMC... i miss the 41s.

To PH Paul, i don't think this engine has a bundle tube heat exchange, most likely it just used raw water through the block.

For the fuel it should go tank, water separator, strainer, low pump/filter high pump/ filter, injectors.

Check the impeller on the water pump and use a 5gal bucket with hose in it for short tests. You can rig up a radiator for longer testing. Don't let it run more than 30 seconds or so without water or you may destroy the impeller

It most likely was a 12v system but don't be surprised if the boat had some 24v stuff too.

It may not start in gear

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I've been watching several boating Youtube videos lately and just watched a 3-part series of a guy rebuilding a 2-cyl. Yanmar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mKjUBF_5kY

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These little yanmars are absolutely terrific engines. And very tough to kill. I have run them in smaller boats myself for thousands of hours and delivered boats with them where they have 10K+ hours. They are normally raw water cooled. If there is not a tank with a coolant filler cap and some connections to cool the transmission its raw water. In terms of running it on the bench you just need to supply it with water to the seawater pump and collect it on the other end (that's the pipe coming into the exhaust system). Supply clean fuel through a prefilter and change the filter on the back of the engine and all will be good. They are fussy about lift so make sure your tank isn't too far below the fuel feed pump. Need some form of intake filtering can be a bit primitive at this point. Priming them is a PIA as you use the lift lever on the pump and have to crack all the fittings. If it turns over with a little oil in the cylinder I will bet money it runs just fine. Make sure the tranny has oil as well. Have a fuel shutoff in your plumbing as they have a habit of having the injection pump shutoff not work after sitting. Great project.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips HRCJON, I hope to get to the point of starting it today.

I got two more repair projects dropped off yesterday afternoon that I need to get out of the way first as they're taking up the limited floor space in my garage.

Posts: 15232 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old man had this exact one-pot Yanmar as an auxiliary motor on his boat. Ran for years and years. Bit "bangy" at low revs, but smoothens up nicely when you open the throttle.
Cooling was direct sea water - on the side of the block there is a sacrificial anode which needs to be changed at regular intervals.
Good (and not so good) memories of rolling around in a tight, dirty bilge to service to stupid thing (dad would claim "ignorance" of all things mechanical and leave that to me Roll Eyes)

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
My first thought was that would make an awesome youtube video if you paired it up with your ultralight aircraft. ;-)

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
We had a Yanmar 44 HP in our Irwin 44' sloop. The thing was an absolute tank. Other than changing the oil and filters, I don't think we did a thing to it for 20 years. Thing practically started on its own.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/m-7wOf8qmoE

I trimmed a little too much off the front of the video, but once I got it bled it starts right up and settles down to a nice thumpy idle.

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

The possibilities are endless...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
You are the man! Nice save. I'm sure you'll find something cool to do with it.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's awesome

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you have to get the Bert and I one lunger going:

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
I thought you were a GMC... i miss the 41s.

I was! But we all gotta start somewhere. I was a fireman apprentice and fireman at Sta Yankeetown. We had 41431 then 41370.

The 41’s were great workboats, good range, utilitarian, but were slow for LE.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Whoever said it was a little clunky at low RPMs wasn't kidding. Big Grin

Great job. I hope you find a good end use for it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
PhPaul,

I may be able to help you with that little puppy, I used to own one and worked on it a good bit. Those babies are all around the world not just on sail boats but they ran generators in a lot of out back country....

She's a little hoss.

Now here is the secret to starting one of those in cold weather... (for those that don't know it, there is no glow plugs on these) when it's cold... like in the 40's or so and the engine as been sitting... prime her and then turn her over for about 20-30 seconds then stop and let her sit for about a minute or more... then repeat.... I guarantee by the third try she'll start right up. What this does is the compression in the cylinder will heat up the head and everything else but it takes that minute or two to actually spread the heat out....

Oh, never use starter fluid of course but WD-40 is okay in a crunch if you have to, but it will eat the air filter.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the air out of the fuel system and it should fire right up. Sitting doesn't seem to effect diesels much. It most likely came out of a sailboat. You're going to probably need at least a group 31 battery to start it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Included in the pile that came with the engine was a Dahl water separator. It had been removed with a knife so I have no idea how/where it plumbs into the system.

Advice from those in the know appreciated.

The Dahl is a pre-filter. It's not necessary, but goes on the fuel supply line between the the fuel tank and the motor.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post