SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I did the unthinkable, I bought a charcoal grill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did the unthinkable, I bought a charcoal grill Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My back patio looks like some sort of bbq nut lives here.

I have 2 of those Smokey Joes for years, I only use them for something portable.

I just got brand new cooking grates for them.

All parts are available, you do not need to throw out an old Weber over a minor issue.

Welcome to the charcoal and wood world.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$45? Right before the pandemic it was $29 regular price at Walmart. Damn inflation.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Nice grill especially for only $45!

I only cook on charcoal and the last three grills have been Weber's that utilize a propane burner under the charcoal to get it started, so no lighter fluid needed.

Right! Never, ever use charcoal lighter unless you want your steak or burgers to taste like petroleum.
I've always used a charcoal chimney & paper to start it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If you don’t own a propane torch, get one.

Very inexpensive multi versatile tool to have around.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I sold my Weber propane grill several years back and switched to a Weber kettle. I use briquettes for dogs, brats but lump charcoal for burgers, chicken, chops.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
quote:

I only cook on charcoal and the last three grills have been Weber's that utilize a propane burner under the charcoal to get it started, so no lighter fluid needed.

Right! Never, ever use charcoal lighter unless you want your steak or burgers to taste like petroleum.

I find the ultimate in recycling is to use my bacon grease soaked paper towels as the starters in the chimney. You all do eat bacon, right?

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
It starts out innocent enough. Mess around with a small charcoal kettle just for fun, then you are out on the streets trying to score a bigger one and the next thing you know you are strung out on Big Green Eggs.

Does anyone know what movie I stole that line from? I inserted the grill references. He was discussing another item just as innocent.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
quote:

I find the ultimate in recycling is to use my bacon grease soaked paper towels as the starters in the chimney. You all do eat bacon, right?

Bacon? You mean meat candy?

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have had one of those for the better part of 15 years. Some have rusted, one was stolen, one was left behind from a move due to not having space. I think I'm on #4 now.

These are a must:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/We...arter-7416/100657893

I remember when they were $25-29 years ago.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend Cooking with Ry on YouTube. This dude has helped me rocket from beginner to BBQ master.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
It starts out innocent enough. Mess around with a small charcoal kettle just for fun, then you are out on the streets trying to score a bigger one and the next thing you know you are strung out on Big Green Eggs.

Does anyone know what movie I stole that line from? I inserted the grill references. He was discussing another item just as innocent.

Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom. Smile

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I have had one of those for the better part of 15 years. Some have rusted, one was stolen, one was left behind from a move due to not having space. I think I'm on #4 now.

These are a must:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/We...arter-7416/100657893

I remember when they were $25-29 years ago.

At first I had an off-brand that rusted out in a couple years. Then I bought the Weber chimney, and it's been in use for about 25 years.

Thomas Sowell

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had one that was a propane fired webber kettle, used the propane to light off the charcoal, it made it several years, moving from KY, to NorCal, back to Ohio when the grate finally gave out. Couldn't find a replacement grate since it had been discontinued years ago... bummer, they are excellent grills.

Pick up some Jealous Devil lump charcoal, or B&B at Ace, Wal-Mart makes all the difference.

The propane torch kits are best, you put the cap on the small Colman camping propane bottles, they work great for starting, no mess no fuss, dump the coal in the kettle, start the lighter up and bob's yer uncle..

I have the chimney but you have to load it, light it, wait, then all the paper ash flying out is a PIA, (we don't get the news paper) I just use the propane and no paper debris, the chimney works no doubt, I did find one that was much less expensive at Lowes Depot.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Weber chimney seems expensive. Then you go to the store, put your hands on one, compare it to the $15 Grill Mark, and decide that while you could build one yourself, it wouldn't be worth the time.

Weber does make a smaller one as well that would probably be better for the Smokey Joe.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard.

The starter squares like link below are my go-to after years of using chimney. Never an issue with them getting fire going, sometimes the chimney would sputter or miss. Can also vary number depending on size of mound/fire I'm building.

Rutland Fire Starter Squares

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Nothing unthinkable about it. I have a very expensive propane grill I use most of the time but nothing you do on a propane grill can match the flavor of charcoal /wood fire. Nothing but Goodness.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We have a Weber Natural Gas grill that took over for our kettle. Ten years later the kettle is back in use, mainly burgers, dogs and steaks. My wife uses the gas grill, I'm in charge of the kettle and it's great have it back in use.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had a 22" kettle for years, loved it. My next door neighbor bought one for himself, then his wife decided they wanted a gas grill instead, so his kettle never even got unboxed. When he moved away he gifted it to me and it sat unopened in my garage for a couple of years. Then one day my old one got crushed. I lost my balance and fell on top of it trying to break up a dog fight. So I unboxed the one in the garage. Well, it turned out to be a CPOCC knockoff and never did work quite the same as my original one. When I sold the house and moved 4 months ago, it got left behind. I haven't got around to replacing it yet, partly because I tend to grill less during the winter anyway and partly because I've had other "settling in" priorities since the move.

I'm finding myself debating what to get. Another kettle (leaning toward the 22" Master Touch), or a pellet grill (my brother and BIL both have Traegers and love them). A good gas grill does have some appeal too, for the quicker startup and somewhat easier temperature control. A smoker may also be on the horizon. I tried smoking some salmon on my old kettle a few times, it worked OK but not great. Most of my grilling is basic stuff - steaks, burgers or chicken breasts or thighs.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
a pellet grill (my brother and BIL both have Traegers and love them).

I would suggest one of the newer pellet grills, you can start them pretty easily and get up to temp fast, get the wood flavor to your food and the new models can get up into searing level temps.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Great deal. Now you have to get you some hickory chips to put on those coals while you are cooking those burgers. Makes them taste even better.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post