SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I did the unthinkable, I bought a charcoal grill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did the unthinkable, I bought a charcoal grill Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I have been a hardcore "propane and propane related accessories" person for 25 years.

But the other day a Weber Smokey Joe picnic kettle followed me home. I cannot explain it. I have lots of propane and I have a nice grill. but at $45 I could not help myself. I put it together, fired up a stack of bricks, spread them out and cooked up some brats and burgers. Wife and daughter were excited and my dad even came over to hang out. The only way it gets better was if we were going to a game after. Anyway, Just a bit of Virginia and some good tasting food. I will continue to cook on the propane grill. But every once in a while, when the itch is there, I will cook up some burgers . . . The old way.

20230306_184223 by redstone71, on Flickr

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
all I use is a Weber, works great

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Around 7 years ago we were planning a cookout with friends and I went to check my propane tank and found that the gas line had a tear in it, making my propane grill unusable. I ran to HD and bought a Weber kettle like yours and some cheap charcoal and was blown away at how much better the food tasted. Then, based on some recommendations here and from friends, I tried some different charcoals which made the food even better. I haven’t cooked on anything but that Weber since.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your next purchase should be a Santa Maria grill attachment. The ability to raise/lower your grill increases the versatility, and the ability to continue to add fuel without having to move the food you're cooking.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Weber Kettles are great. I have one just for hamburgers, hot dogs, and steaks.

Get some Grill Grates, and a Slow N Sear, and the possibilities are endless.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Among the world's greatest inventions are dynamite, poker, baseball and the Weber Kettle Grill.

Congrats on having arrived at the gateway to good food.

Posts: 4074 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Kinda like Glock, people come around sooner or later.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I find it unthinkable not having a charcoal grill, along with a few others...Congrats!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice! The Weber Smokey Joe was the first grill I purchased and I still have it 34 years later.

Be careful though, it’s a gateway grill. Don’t be surprised if people start complementing your grilling more often and you start eyeing the larger kettles.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Welcome to this little thing called flavor. Razz

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
A Weber Kettle is the only grill I've had since 2006. I've done everything from grilling burgers and steaks to slow and low smoking a brisket or pork shoulder using the charcoal snake method. The only limitation is what will fit and your imagination.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You done good, redstone!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved into our first house a bunch of neighbors got together and bought us one. I used that thing for twenty years until we moved out.

I probably need to buy a new one.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the good side Smile

Posts: 3716 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have two Weber kettle grills. The small one is probably over 40 years old, and the big one is only about 30. I do use the Weber Genesis propane grill more in the Winter though.

Then there's the Big Weber smoker. That gets used a couple times a month in the Summer

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
In 1984 my boss and his wife bought us a Smokey Joe as a house warming present. It went everywhere with us and is still in our rv.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Great little cooking machine. I had one for years, and don't really know where it went...

Welcome to the big leagues.

In two years, you will have a large Big Green Egg, and $1,000 worth of accessories to go with it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice grill especially for only $45!

I only cook on charcoal and the last three grills have been Weber's that utilize a propane burner under the charcoal to get it started, so no lighter fluid needed.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good pick up. Your on your way to a Performer

slingshots are my favorite

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post