SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Youngkin Utterly Destroys Gun Control Push by VA Dems
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youngkin Utterly Destroys Gun Control Push by VA Dems Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...youngkin-2a-n2637023

From a ban on some semi-automatic weapons to gun purchase waiting periods, Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin vetoed more than two dozen gun bills sent to his desk this week by the Democrat-controlled General Assembly.

On Tuesday, the Republican governor said he signed 31 bills into law, vetoed 30, and offered amendments to six.

“I swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States of America and the Constitution of Virginia, and that absolutely includes protecting the right of law-abiding Virginians to keep and bear arms,” he said in a statement. “I am pleased to sign four public safety bills which are commonsense reforms with significant bipartisan support from the General Assembly, and offer recommendations to several bills which, if adopted, will make it harder for criminals to use guns in the commission of a violent act.”

Youngkin’s office released a 23-page document with his veto statements, including on some high-profile pieces of legislation, such as the ban on what Democrats refer to as "assault weapons."

"The Constitution precludes the Commonwealth from prohibiting a broad category of firearms widely embraced for lawful purposes, such as self-defense," Youngkin explained. "Despite this, certain members of the General Assembly have pursued legislation banning most contemporary semiautomatic firearms and specific ammunition-feeding devices.

"Like all Virginians, I am profoundly troubled by the occurrences of mass shootings and crimes committed with firearms," he continued. "The pain and sorrow inflicted by criminals with heinous intentions are truly heart-wrenching and should not be minimized for our communities, the victims, or their families.

"Virginia has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Unfortunately, the Commonwealth has reduced penalties for criminals, contributing to violent crime," the Republican governor added. "Enhancing penalties for crimes committed with firearms will reverse this trend. Our most significant gap, however, has been in our behavioral health system, which is why substantial investments in behavioral health are necessary.

"That twofold approach can provide a real solution without creating outcomes that would affect law-abiding citizens and violating our constitutional rights. Accordingly, I veto this bill," he concluded.

The NRA praised Youngkin's "unwavering resolve to defend the rights of all Virginians against these flagrant assaults on our self-defense rights and our ability to protect ourselves and our loved ones."

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Governor Youngkin.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very good news for my friends in the old dominion! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Gov. Youngkin!!!

In his Veto dissertation, however, I would have included, other methods by which people are killed or murdered, aside from "assault weapons", and included the RATE by which those incidents take place. That would further disclose how ridiculous it is to ban "assault weapons" when the homicide/murder rate with said weapon is EXTREMELY low as compared to other methods of homicide or murder.

JMHO to drive to point home to these Commie bastards!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restrictions to your freedom are just one election away. Never be complacent.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Restrictions to your freedom are just one election away. Never be complacent.

You are so correct. Hence my signature: The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance.

I told my brother and family (all Virginians) that I felt very confident Youngkin would make this move. It is a supreme feeling of satisfaction to have my political prognostication be proved correct.

Those who disarm law abiding citizens while hiding behind private armies are the biggest hypocrites on this planet. They are the same idiots screaming about saving the planet while flying all over on their private jets. They deserve nothing but perpetual mockery and contempt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
That only tells me that Virginia is on the edge of falling, with only the governor standing in the way. Hope virginians keep electing R govs.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ man. Don’t turn a win into a loss. Enjoy the win and build on it!

Miss me with that small dick energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This governor makes me wish Virginia governors could serve back-to-back terms.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good on him

keep handing the bastards defeats - give them all ulcers

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I hope other conservative minded folks in VA will see this mans effort and run for office.

Yall need more victories and with terms limits for Gov, yall need a good bench.

Congrats VA, keep it up.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
When governments allow the people to protect themselves then that is called and known as a Democracy..... But when governments do not allow (force) the people to no be able protect themselves then that is known as a Dictatorship....................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The DEMs hold thin majorities in the VA House and Senate.

In 2025 we will vote for Governor and the full State House.

It is likely that Lt Gov Sears and AG Miyares will compete to win the REP nomination for the Governor spot.

Winning the VA House back would be a major victory. Winning the Governor spot would be icing.

As noted before, Glenn Youngkin ran a classic perfect campaign and personally financed it enough to compete w McAuliffe.

I got to see a bit behind the curtain. The strategy, planning, execution, and energy was unlike any Virginia REP candidate that I have seen.

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
He's a shining star in a governmentally ruined state.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
He's a shining star in a governmentally ruined state.

I'd argue it's ruined by the majority of NoVA residents from MD and other northeast states who left because of those policies and want to replicate here in VA.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ BINGO!

The same sore of migration out here in the West, except exported north and east, from Commiefornia.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’m in a location now where I am affected by Virginia policy. I’m grateful for the governor’s vetoes on this.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Good job Gov. Youngkin. It takes backbone to veto those bills and endure Reeeee!!

Posts: 3148 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Whew! We were sweating this one. So glad to hear this and I'm glad he stood up for the constitution and we gun owners' rights. Well done, sir!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post