SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which leatherman do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which leatherman do you recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested, I have like 20 of these
(Just pay for the shipping Priority mail $10)

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this thread is making me want an updated Charge Plus. Perhaps in the REI Red G10.

Also, Leatherman released their Curl today.

It's like a Wave "lightweight"--minus the saw blade, serrated knife, and small bit driver. No replaceable hardwire cutters either.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I never really got in the habit of carry a multitool on my belt when I worked. I have 2 original Leatherman tools and a Leatherman Compact. I used to keep one of the tools slipped onto the offside strap of my saddle’s breast collar, and it came in handy for emergency repairs to horse gear.

I acquired a Victorinox Swiss Tool and it’s quality impressed me. It opens and locks into place with a satisfying CLICK, is heftier, and has better wire cutters. *Don’t cut fence wire with your Original Leatherman.

I have to assume the succeeding generations of Leatherman Tools are better. You can only recommend what you’ve owned and used, and for me that would be the Swiss Tool.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'll be ordering direct from Leatherman.

Any chance there's a promo code available?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

If you can wait and are an REI member, REI has a labor day sale that usually has a 20% off any full price item if I recall. They certainly do the coupon for their Anniversary Sale (the week of memorial day) and their Winter Sale.

Edit: Nevermind, last year's promo was 20% off any marked down Outlet item. It may not be worth it to wait and see.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which model do you want?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

Which model do you want?

I've chosen the Surge. Planning to keep the Surge kit in a glove box / backpack. Not really in my pocket.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leatherman Wave, Rebar, Super Tool 2 and 3, and a Crunch. Of all of these multitools, the tool I use the most now is NONE of them. I use this multitool from Walmart Ozark Trail Multiforce

Now I know what you are thinking.. Crappy cheap Chinese Knockoff.. Well it is a knock off, but it's not crappy! Now why this knockoff instead of one of the many real Leathermans I own? Because it's primarily a work tool, and nicer small hand tools have this habit of developing legs on their own and walking away. I don't mind the replacement cost of this item. That being said the one thing this multi tool has all over the Leatherman tools I own is that is has a 1/4 full size bit driver and an extension!! Yes Leatherman has their flat bits, but they suck when I have millions of 1/4 bit's. The knockoff quality of this tool is excellent.

Here's is TX Tool Crib comparing it side by side with the Wave. Not saying it's actually "better" than the Wave or any other Leathermans, but it's a whole lot cheaper with features directly comparable to the Wave's features, with a full size 1/4 bit driver!

Posts: 4344 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Figured there are ccp knockoffs.

Even if the quality is better, has more features and is half the price, I’d still buy a made in USA leatherman everyday and twice on Sunday. If I can afford to, I will buy American ALWAYS over something made by a ccp company.

Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. Figured there are ccp knockoffs.

Even if the quality is better, has more features and is half the price, I’d still buy a made in USA leatherman everyday and twice on Sunday. If I can afford to, I will buy American ALWAYS over something made by a ccp company.

I prefer USA Leathermans too, but after having 3 waves disappear at work over the last couple years, I'm only going to supply those thieves with cheaper Chinesesium steel!!

Posts: 4344 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:

If any of y'all are needing a new leatherman sheath, check out their newer nylon with a metal snap .

Have any idea how well a p239/357/7rnd mag will fit into the medium size pouch?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Once again the SF costs me yet another purchase! I have considered a multitool for several years but never pulled the trigger. This thread has peaked my desire for my first multitool. Of course the hard part is selecting the first one!

Just for grins I checked and Lowes carries quite an array of them and with the military discount it makes it even more affordable. Now for the fun part, picking which one......

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I like my super tool 300. I use the pliers and file about equally often. The other tools are there for emergencies I guess.

I just about always have a knife in my pocket so the fast deployment of a blade just isn’t a necessity. In the past I carried a pair of pliers all the time, honestly I could survive just fine going back to those. Something to consider anyway.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course the hard part is selecting the first one!

after that first hard part, is finding in your suddenly growing collection of such tools, that the 'normal rotation' over time will establish a more-favored model.

Then you get to relying on it for daily use.

Then you 'misplace/lose' that one.

The NEXT hard part is deciding which model to
replace the missing favorite.

That's where I'm at today. Was hoping/expecting the missing to reappear in various searches.

Not yet.

New model ordered. My little step towards Aeteocles "Negentropy" topic.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have had and tried a fair share. I now have the Wave, and am very pleased with it! Highly recommended

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
USPS just delivered a new Wave+ to add to the party. Just pocket size between the Surge & the Squirt.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Once again the SF costs me money. I had been eyeing multitools for a long time but just didn't pull the trigger, until now.

Meet my first, Charge + TTi, it arrived today and has already been used !!

BTW- Leatherman has a nice first responder/military discount program. One time shot so get what you want on the first try.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rebar or Wave+. I like the Rebar for pocket carry, is lighter than the Wave+. Wave+ is when I know I might need a multi tool. I have several of each. I also have a single Super Tool 300 but rarely use it.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post