SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which leatherman do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which leatherman do you recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mine's a Gerber Suspension, had a gift card that just covered it.
Haven't had much chance to use it yet, but seems pretty good for a lower cost.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Skeletool, as well. Unfortunately, I've given up on wearing one cuz I kept breaking belt clips so often from jumping in and out of the work truck. I keep a Wave in my car, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've had a Leatherman Kick for over 10 years and keep it in my truck. Solid tool but lighter than most full size multi tools. If it won't do the job, then it's a job for "real" tools.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had worn various Swiss Army Knife models on my belt for over 20 years, but they kept getting just so big, and none had the pliers I often really needed for some small chore. I had a couple of the early 80s Gerber & a few others that proved unsatisfactory. Remaining skeptical over a few decades, I finally noticed just how many times friends or someone I knew had some use for one of their tools.

Eventually after I made fun enough times, of his 'Leatherman socket-tool bracelet' one collector buddy showed me his closet collection, remarking he didn't realize I was interested in Leatherman. They are such a joy to use, well designed with quality materials.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leatherman Charge_TTI, or the Surge.

I lost track of the number of leatherman tools I've bought, and have given away. I was once the missionary of leathermanism; I'm a big believer in carrying them, and have found no end of uses and applications, and times it's saved my butt.

I even know a guy that broke a landing gear handle off with the gear up, and used a leatherman to fish the broken handle out of the panel and lower the landing gear. I've used them to flash generator fields in flight, emergency repairs in the field, you name it.

I'm a big fan of victorinox knives, too. They're not just for MacGuyver.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
"Wave" That's all I have to say.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what you get into. I've always been a Super Tool or Core (discontinued) user. But, I've always been in and around heavy equipment and always wore a belt and a spyderco endura.

For someone looking to only carry one knife/tool the wave is much more convenient as it combines an easy out knife and all your usual leatherman tools.

I've got a skeletool and I've know a number of folks over the years that have used the pocket clipp equiped leather men and loved them. I wouldn't use them for heavy work, but for small repairs they are fine.

Also, get a Micra. They have great scissors and decent eyeglass screw driver on them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What works best for you as many have said here depends on your activities and needs. What I liked and used before retirement has changed since.

For the Leatherman brand, I have the following:
--Micra pocket multi-tool (51 grams ~1.8oz / 65mm ~2 1/2")
--Squirt P4 pocket multi-tool (57 grams ~2 oz / 57.5mm ~2 1/4")
--Juice SC2 pocket multi-tool (128.4 grams ~4.5oz / 84mm ~3 1/4")

Of these the Squirt gets the most pocket time carried nicely in the matching small Leatherman leather sheath. I have a Leatherman leather belt pouch for the Juice but rarely carry it although it remains handy and within reach around the house. These two have always been my favorites of the genre.

Here they are for size comparison with my Victorinox Pre-1991 Explorer.

In addition to these I also have a Gerber #50004 Black Oxide coated needle-nose Multi-Plier tool (5th generation and 1st needle-nose from Gerber) which stays in the car glovebox. It is much like the Leatherman Wave. I never carried it as multi-tools of this size just were never something I felt I needed or wanted on my belt. And an original basic model Swiss-Tech Technician multi-tool that used to be carried on a keyring but no longer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got nothing. I have the old original Leatherman but it looks pathetic compared to the modern ones with every tool imaginable. I did however want to second the Knipex pliers comment. I have two, small and a big. Best pliers ever. Of all time. Amazeballs good.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
Another vote for the Wingman. I bought one of these kydex carriers and really like it Whichever you decide on take a look at the Clip and Carry.

Clip And Carry

these are great carriers, I actually carry my wave now. for years you had to choose between the bulky leather pouch or the bulky nylon one or carry it in a pocket. None of those options worked well for me hence the LM stayed with my hunting kit and fell into disuse.

Now if I could find a good carrier for my Fenix my batbelt would close to complete. Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daily carry is the Leatherman Side Clip. I have carried mine since the late 80's. When not carrying it

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be a sales rep for Leatherman...

The Wave is the most popular: just overall good value for the amount of tools available. It a Full-Size which lends itself to good all-around carry. If you're looking for a toolbox/glovebox sized (Heavy Duty), the next size is the Surge.
The Pocket-series, has been very popular, very approachable price-points and more practical for backpacking and other activities where weight is a consideration. Skeletool originally came out to sell at non-hardware type stores, more focused on outdoor and action sports. Its more modern design and reduced tool layout lends itself to more EDC usage. The Juice-series of tools is apart of this group, very practical, easy to carry in pocket, tool pouch, doesn't take up a lot of room and doesn't weigh like you've got a 1911.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My oldest son is leaving for Army basic training in June. He has an option 40 contract, so he will get a shot at attending RASP, and hopefully Ranger School.

We have a few “mentors” who has been through the Ranger process. I asked one of them this very question, what as preferred by Rangers, and he replied “an ounce builds up to pounds”. He suggested something basic, and I mentioned what I carried in the USMC. He said it was very popular among Rangers, has everything you need and nothing you don’t.

So I bought him the same one I own. A Gerber MP400 sport compact. It will be one of my son’s upcoming birthday presents, and I will offer him the one I own, if he wants to trade. They are identical, but it will have a little more meaning to him.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:

what a wonderful set of work-place memories that could bring!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Pocket-series, has been very popular, very approachable price-points and more practical for backpacking and other activities where weight is a consideration. Skeletool originally came out to sell at non-hardware type stores, more focused on outdoor and action sports. Its more modern design and reduced tool layout lends itself to more EDC usage. The Juice-series of tools is apart of this group, very practical, easy to carry in pocket, tool pouch, doesn't take up a lot of room and doesn't weigh like you've got a 1911.

I'm part of the above target market. I don't like walking around like Batman w/ two dozen items on my utility belt. In fact, majority of the time, I prefer walking around w/o a belt at all in athletic shorts and what not.

Skeletool is a good size and has the important tools you are most likely to need. I have the CX & RX models. They are a bit overpriced IMO. The finish on the painted models, such as the RX, hold up poorly, so expect the paint to chip quickly. For $80, they should do better, e.g., anodizing or cerakote.

My favorite Leatherman is the Mini, which was discontinued in 2004. It's very compact (about the size of a Zippo) & light. It'll fit in the front right mini pocket of a pair of jeans. It has extensions that fold out to give you the leverage as a full-size PST.

https://www.smartknives.com/Le...-Tools/Mini-Tool.htm

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A Wave, saw blade and all, will probably find a home in my desk where I do most of my light piddling. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I carried a Wave for years at work.
I gave one to my son and keep the other in my pickup.

I now carry a Leatherman FREE™ P2 to work every day.
Minus the pocket clip.

If any of y'all are needing a new leatherman sheath, check out their newer nylon with a metal snap .

I use one for my Free P2 and other for my Olight Warrior Mini..
No Velcro to wear out..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

what a wonderful set of work-place memories that could bring!

Visited the facility once, I was a remote wholesale rep, interesting to see domestic manufacturing though. Tim Leatherman was a ...odd duck, definitely an engineer, smart to hire business people and make them accountable for their decisions while he could spend time to tinker.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Wave is Leatherman's top seller and it's a fine choice, but speaking as someone who has owned one for many years, it's not perfect. One thing I found is that if you use the pliers to crack nuts or anything which may require lots of pressure and then yields suddenly, the sharp top edges of the folded knife blades (the outside tools are on the inside when the pliers are used) can pinch your fingers quite badly. Don't get me wrong- I like and use my Wave, but there are other choices, too.

The Skeletool is a fantastic design, and the CX version of the tool has a blade made from 154CM, not the standard 420 stainless of base models. I bought mine in 2010. Leatherman must have performed quite a few warranty repairs on Skeletool plier heads because a few years ago, they increased the thickness of the pliers by something like 0.5 millimeters.

All generations of the Super Tool are great choices if you need a more robust multitool and all generations- the original, the 200 and the current 300- have a good choice of tools.

Almost two pages of posts, and not one mention of the Rebar? The Rebar- like the Super Tool- is constructed more along the lines of the original PST, with all the tools stored inside the handle shells when the tool is closed. This makes for comfortable use of the tools; deploy the tool you need, then fold the tool back up, leaving the one tool out, and the handles are quite comfortable for working, whereas the Wave can really chew up your hands when using it, because of all the sharp edges sticking up from the outside tools. The Rebar is a stout tool and a good value.

Wave with bit kit, bit extender, lanyard loop, belt clip, sharpening steel, ferrocerium rod, Photon Microlight and a paracord lanyard fastened to the back of the bit kit pouch.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
At work I carry a Leatherman Free P4 in a Kydex holder(similar to a magazine carrier). It used to be a Wave and I would have no issue going back to it but I really wanted to try something new and the P4 has worked out just fine.

In street clothes after hours I carry a Leatherman Wingman in my left front pocket, unless I feel the need for something more, then I just grab the P4.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post