SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which leatherman do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which leatherman do you recommend? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para, the Rebar is looking better.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry the Charge TTi. It is an expensive tool but it has gotten me back home more than once.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
My oldest son is leaving for Army basic training in June. He has an option 40 contract, so he will get a shot at attending RASP, and hopefully Ranger School.

We have a few “mentors” who has been through the Ranger process. I asked one of them this very question, what as preferred by Rangers, and he replied “an ounce builds up to pounds”. He suggested something basic, and I mentioned what I carried in the USMC. He said it was very popular among Rangers, has everything you need and nothing you don’t.

So I bought him the same one I own. A Gerber MP400 sport compact. It will be one of my son’s upcoming birthday presents, and I will offer him the one I own, if he wants to trade. They are identical, but it will have a little more meaning to him.

My suggestion is this. Get him a tool that doesn't have a sentimental attachment until he gets out of Ranger school. The facts are, he going to lose it. Days of little food and sleep, I saw guys forgetting their rifles, luckily everything is dummy corded to the guy carrying it. A Leatherman has little chance of making it through. It would be too bad to lose something like that meant so much.

I think that Victorinox is a better tool than most any of the Leathermen versions. The pliers are really useful and strong enough for rugged work. Everything locks into place. I have been carrying them for 20 years. Somehow I have never lost one that I didn't later find (one at the bottom of an engine bay of a skid steer years later).

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I really like the Leatherman MUT and I take it on every range trip. I use the pliers and bit driver attachment the most, but also use the hammer and the punch tool much more than I thought I would.

https://www.leatherman.com/mut-29.html

It's pretty pricey though so not sure it's worth ~50% more than a Wave.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I've used my Leatherman Pulse for over 15 years. It's my go-to gadget to take on Scouting trips.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three years after I retired I quit carrying my Wave, as I always had gloves when using them,at work.

I may need to sell my Wave to get a rebar.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This video was posted just today and he echoes some of my remarks. This guy is worth watching. He actually uses these tools, unlike a lot of "reviewers" of such tools on youtube.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good vid, thanks for taking the time.
Going to look for a clip on sheath for my belt carry

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I always liked the Juice series, good size, tools I use etc. Tools could be hard to deploy.

I keep bigger Multitools from Gerber or Leathman in the cars.

I recently picked up a Skeletool CX and RX and I quite like them. They are a good size and weight and can technically work as an all in one knife/tool solution since they have actual decent blades. The bit kit adds a lot of versatility.

More often then not however I have a folder and a SAK Champ or Cybertool but the skeletool is winning me over. It’s not for WORK!!!! like bigger multitools but is a great thin all in one solution with a little customizability.

What’s funny is I keep a fairly well stocked tool kit on every floor of the house. I have plenty of tools and enough know how to keep my bleeding to a minimum Smile. That said more often then not I find myself using one of my SAK’s or Leathermans that are on me or stashed around. Sometimes I find myself on a ladder thinking. Just go grab the real screw driver or pliers or whatever 20 feet away and then I’m like Nahhh this’ll be fine. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

The Skeletool is a fantastic design, and the CX version of the tool has a blade made from 154CM, not the standard 420 stainless of base models. I bought mine in 2010. Leatherman must have performed quite a few warranty repairs on Skeletool plier heads because a few years ago, they increased the thickness of the pliers by something like 0.5 millimeters.

Just got my CX back for that exact service. I sent it without the bits. Got it back with the new jaws, new bits, new pocket clip (looks more robust), as well as a fresh sharpening on the blade.

This is the second Leatherman that needed warranty service. My Supertool 200 had a screwdriver snap off, they sent a new 300 to replace it.

Superb service!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had the Leatherman MUT for several years now and its in my work bag. It has come in handy multiple times over the past 5 years even so much that a co-worker, who is not even a gun not, bought one and carries it to work. I would like to have the tool and bit attachment but just havent gotten around to it.

Posts: 585 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My preference is the "Heritage Rebar"--the Rebar tool with a leather case. It's the closest to the original Leatherman PST, and I like the slightly smaller size than the modern, larger, outward-knife facing tools

https://www.leatherman.com/heritage-rebar-556.html

Posts: 360 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've had several types and still do of leatherman tools. My main tool in the house and in the car is the leatherwman wave with the extender and two bit sets.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
just what we need....more Leatherman gizmos & a way to carry 'em around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlsVLeQ8fEY

My reason for renewed review of updated models, is I seem to have lost my Wingman. It had become my default daily carry. Looking at the models listed in previous posts this thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
On days where I'm tooling about the house or helping clients with Real Estate Stuff™, then I have my Leatherman Charge (TTI version).

It's very similar to the ever-popular Wave, but with two improvements:

It has an S30v primary knife blade, and it has a wire stripper.

The Charge Plus versions now have replaceable hard wire cutters, which was my only criticism of the Charge.

While Para makes a good point about the smooth surface of the Rebar comprising the grip with tools deployed, I much prefer a blade that can be opened and closed with a single hand as with the Wave and Charge.

Leatherman's "full sized" bit holders re really very clever, and is my favorite feature.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
OK, so I'm in the process of updating my Truck Box and GHB and want to include some sort of multi-tool. Is there a "multi-tool primer" or "multi-tools 101" paper or web site or something that does a reasonable job of describing what all the (seemingly) thousands of options are, and which are "best" for whatever purpose(s)? I have, or at least used to have 20 years ago, an older Gerber one, but I can't even find that anymore.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

The Charge Plus versions now have replaceable hard wire cutters, which was my only criticism of the Charge.

Aw geez...Come on man!

That's been my only complaint with the Wave, which I carry and use almost daily. The wire cutters have gotten dull and really tough to use.

The Charge Plus looks basically like an upgraded Wave.

Am I seriously considering buying yet another multitool??? Ugh.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Aw geez...Come on man!

That's been my only complaint with the Wave, which I carry and use almost daily. The wire cutters have gotten dull and really tough to use.

The Charge Plus looks basically like an upgraded Wave.

Am I seriously considering buying yet another multitool??? Ugh.

Just do it. I've never once in my life thought to myself--wish I had gone back and never bought that tool.

Quite the opposite. Everytime I pick up something that barely gets used, I usually marvel at at the fit and finish and am reaffirmed in my decision to buy the nicer thing.

If you like your Wave and you don't need the upgrades S30v knife, the "new" Wave has the replaceable wire cutters.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I have owned many Leatherman and other's multi-tools. There are a lot of excellent tools available, for a variety of needs.

My favorite for the past 15+ years has been the Leatherman Wave.

Same here. I've had the wave in my bag at work for the past 15+ years. I've used it for countless random things.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Because of SF, once again I’m supporting the economy. Smile

I’ve decided to get the Surge combo set.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post