SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baseball season is almost here
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball season is almost here Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
And Para's cousin says "Hi!"

Loves me some baseball. My shoulder didn't live through it. But I love the game anyway.

Go Bums!
Or as Dad used to say, "Darn dumb Dodgers"

My team though.

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I love watching baseball in person. I try to catch a mlb or minor league game when I'm traveling. In fact, I had a baseball disappointment this morning, my friend is getting married near Boston (I've wanted to catch a game at Fenway for years) and I checked the Red Sox's schedule only to learn she picked a weekend they're on the road Frown

I'm a lifelong fan of the:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23282 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Let's go Nats!!!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Cubs get back to the W.S.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I love watching baseball in person. I try to catch a mlb or minor league game when I'm traveling. In fact, I had a baseball disappointment this morning, my friend is getting married near Boston (I've wanted to catch a game at Fenway for years) and I checked the Red Sox's schedule only to learn she picked a weekend they're on the road Frown

Dude, it's still Spring Training. ALL of the games are on the road....In Florida! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8916 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
[Q ALL of the games are on the road....In Florida!

And Arizona Wink

Go Mariners. Break the streak, please!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:

We traveled to a wedding outside Boston a few years ago and BoSox were in town. Pretty cool to watch a game at MLB's oldest stadium.

Wanted Green Monster seating but they were $$$.

Pesky Pole section:

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Yes Indeed. It's almost time for Baseball!! I love the game and I'm excited to see what happens with the Astros and the Reds. Lots of room for growth on those teams.

And can the Cubs continue the run???

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Dude, it's still Spring Training. ALL of the games are on the road....In Florida! Wink

I read that a few times. I think the wedding must be in April or later.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Christmas in April!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I was about to make my "seasonal" baseball post....

My favorite time of year. I sadly haven't followed as closely as I usually do beyond my team's division... So I can't predict other divisions this year nearly as well (I didn't do that badly last year, IIRC I predictd most of the playoff teams)

OK....

So my preview is going to be NL Central specific as that is what I have followed...

I never thought I'd actually type this, but the Cubs are still going to be the team to beat:

Cubbies:

Still retaining most of their team, only losing some backups and Dexter Fowler. Good offense with Rizzo, Bryant leading the pack. Good pitching. Jake Arrieta is in a contract year and while less dominant than he was the previous year, he has EVERY bit of motivation to have a great season. I think they will lead the NL Central all season. They Achilles heel they have is pitching depth. A significant injury to Lester, Arrieta or another of the man four starters will hurt them as their depth isn't strong. Two injuries (very possible in a long season) will be very tough to overcome. If the team is healthy, ESPECIALLY their pitchers, they will be the team to beat. If they are not, they could totally implode. They lost Chapman as the closer, but have a good one to take his place which should not be THAT big of a deal. Their X-factor is Joe Maddon. He is one of the best managers in the game, and can easily squeeze the best from players when the chips are down. I don't think they will be QUITE as good as last season, but they will be one of the best teams in baseball if they avoid injuries, especially to their starting pitching.

Cardinals:

This is my team, so I am obviously a bit biased. This will be an interesting year for the Redbirds... We see an aging core of Yadi, Wainwright, Peralta, giving way to the young guys of Martinez, Piscotty, Grichuk, and Carpenter. Can the new kids (Diaz, Wong, Kelly) pick it up? Aging Ace Adam Wainwright was disappointing last year, but again, was removed from total repair on his Achilles tendon... Lance Lynn is coming off Tommy John surgery and also on a contract year. Budding stay Michael Wacha has been plagued by injuries from the 162 season grind and hasn't yet put together a total season yet. Carlos Martinez has the talent to be a staff ace, but is still young and not quite proven. Alex Reyes was supposed to be the "next big thing" but is now a total loss to Tommy John for all of 2017 and now expected to make his case as staff ace for 2018. Mike Leake was supposed to be solid innings eater and solid number 3 starter with good defense behind him, but given she shitty defense in 2016 was less than impressive. Pitching will be a huge question, prolly the biggest. IF the pitching is healthy, and there for the year, this will be a good team. Can displaced closer Trevor Rosenthal be the new "fireman" like Andrew Miller was in Cleveland? Can Korean sensation closer Sung Won Oh continue what he did last year? Offensively, this team is stacked with OBP (On Base Percentage) Their first 3 batters in the order (Fowler, Diaz, Carpenter) were 3 of the top 5 in the league last year. Each of those three has a better than 1/3 chance of getting on base with means that from the first inning onward, you will likely be facing the number 4 hitter with at LEAST one runner on base. Leadoff hitter Dexter Fowler can take a base with a steal, he can go first to third on a hit, and go second to home on a hit. The idea is stacking on base percentage will lead to both stacking runners, and forcing pitchers to make mistakes. The number 4 and 5 hitters will be crucial. This is both a transition year for the Cards, and a formative year... With all the best draft picks hitting the majors the past few years, the next crop of stud prospects in waiting is a few years off... I pick them for second place in the division, but a solid contender for a wild card spot. IF the Cubs pitching gets injured... and the Cards pitching doesn't... first in the division

Pirates:

They got rid of some, and seem to be in a "soft" rebuild. It isn't a total rebuild, as they didn't trade McCutchen (although mostly because he had a bad years last year and his return wasn't great) they will compete, but not like the last few. I'll say, that if McCutchen has a good year and they are not in contention, they will trade him this year. Hopefully, moving to a corner outfield spot as he is projected to will help him out. They have 3 solid starting pitchers, but the other 2 are wild cards. I want to see another season of Kang at third of short, that man is a stud from Korea. He has been a great pickup for them.

Brewers:

Could surprise us all. They sold a lot last year, and got some prospects in a rebuild. Will be a down year IMO, but they aren't far off. 2018 and 2019 look like up years for the Brew Crew.

Reds:

They finally comitted to a rebuild, although 3 years to late. IIRC they traded Phillips and thank god. Too big a salary for too little return. The sun has set on him both offensively and defensively (not that he is bad by any means, just not for what they are paying him) I'm still shocked they havent' traded Votto. For a team in a rebuild they have a talent like him, but won't move him. They still pay him a LOT to be the best player on a losing team... That makes zero sense. What they could have gotten in return either of the past 2 years significantly outplays his value on a losing team. As i said, they should have committed to a rebuild 2 years ago and they would be close to contention now. Their first 2 pitchers are fine, but their back 3 have HUGE questions... I pick them for last in the division this year, and sadly, had they heeded my advice any of the past 3 years, they would be in contention...

As for the rest of the NL:

In the NL East... The Mets and Nats both have the pitching. Nats have Bryce Harper, while we all love to hate him, you can't argue with the man's talent. He will also be in a contract year... It will be hard to bet against him. I think the Mets/Nats slug it out and it comes down to injuries as to who takes first place. The other will have a solid shot at the wild card. The Braves, and Phillies and both in the middle of rebuild, and the Marlins aren't there yet, but a step closer. Marlins will be solidly in the middle of the pack. Braves look good in the 2019 and 2020 season though, watch out if they keep going.

In the NL West, I think this is the Dodgers year. I think they are by far the best team in the West. I am still shocked the Rockies didn't fire sale their outfielf and first base talent last year, but the rumors are they were asking for current talent, top prospects, mining rights on the moon, and the firstborn of the opposing General Manger. That will cost them. Blackmon had a career year IMO, and Cargo ain't getting younger. Plus... anyone that they have has to take into account playing at Coor's Field and that means their offensive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. With the return the White Sox got for Adam Eaton I would have thought Blackmon would have gone for at least 300 trillion dollars... I guess the other GM's saw the "Coor's Field" effect too, despite him having better splits on the road. All of that said, I think the Dodgers, if healthy, will be the second best team in the NL this year, compared to the Cubs. Like the Cubs, a pitching injury, or god forbid two, will sink them.

AL I will keep brief, and base this upon nothing as I am not following the unAmerican, DH-ing pansy league.

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Indians
AL West: A's

I base the DHing pansies predictions on nothing, because that isn't baseball, the pitcher should have to bat.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the millions of Rays' fans out there:

Yes, we know that 2016 was a disappointment. But let us not get discouraged so early in spring training. Let's just make it an everlasting spring training and aim always higher. Especially with fastballs in.

As to October...let us all chant...#1 Draft Pick!

Go Rays!

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I can't wait.

Sometimes I can even catch a nap between pitches. :-/

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I was about to make my "seasonal" baseball post....

My favorite time of year. I sadly haven't followed as closely as I usually do beyond my team's division... So I can't predict other divisions this year nearly as well (I didn't do that badly last year, IIRC I predictd most of the playoff teams)

OK....

So my preview is going to be NL Central specific as that is what I have followed...

I never thought I'd actually type this, but the Cubs are still going to be the team to beat:

Cubbies:

Still retaining most of their team, only losing some backups and Dexter Fowler. Good offense with Rizzo, Bryant leading the pack. Good pitching. Jake Arrieta is in a contract year and while less dominant than he was the previous year, he has EVERY bit of motivation to have a great season. I think they will lead the NL Central all season. They Achilles heel they have is pitching depth. A significant injury to Lester, Arrieta or another of the man four starters will hurt them as their depth isn't strong. Two injuries (very possible in a long season) will be very tough to overcome. If the team is healthy, ESPECIALLY their pitchers, they will be the team to beat. If they are not, they could totally implode. They lost Chapman as the closer, but have a good one to take his place which should not be THAT big of a deal. Their X-factor is Joe Maddon. He is one of the best managers in the game, and can easily squeeze the best from players when the chips are down. I don't think they will be QUITE as good as last season, but they will be one of the best teams in baseball if they avoid injuries, especially to their starting pitching.

Cardinals:

This is my team, so I am obviously a bit biased. This will be an interesting year for the Redbirds... We see an aging core of Yadi, Wainwright, Peralta, giving way to the young guys of Martinez, Piscotty, Grichuk, and Carpenter. Can the new kids (Diaz, Wong, Kelly) pick it up? Aging Ace Adam Wainwright was disappointing last year, but again, was removed from total repair on his Achilles tendon... Lance Lynn is coming off Tommy John surgery and also on a contract year. Budding stay Michael Wacha has been plagued by injuries from the 162 season grind and hasn't yet put together a total season yet. Carlos Martinez has the talent to be a staff ace, but is still young and not quite proven. Alex Reyes was supposed to be the "next big thing" but is now a total loss to Tommy John for all of 2017 and now expected to make his case as staff ace for 2018. Mike Leake was supposed to be solid innings eater and solid number 3 starter with good defense behind him, but given she shitty defense in 2016 was less than impressive. Pitching will be a huge question, prolly the biggest. IF the pitching is healthy, and there for the year, this will be a good team. Can displaced closer Trevor Rosenthal be the new "fireman" like Andrew Miller was in Cleveland? Can Korean sensation closer Sung Won Oh continue what he did last year? Offensively, this team is stacked with OBP (On Base Percentage) Their first 3 batters in the order (Fowler, Diaz, Carpenter) were 3 of the top 5 in the league last year. Each of those three has a better than 1/3 chance of getting on base with means that from the first inning onward, you will likely be facing the number 4 hitter with at LEAST one runner on base. Leadoff hitter Dexter Fowler can take a base with a steal, he can go first to third on a hit, and go second to home on a hit. The idea is stacking on base percentage will lead to both stacking runners, and forcing pitchers to make mistakes. The number 4 and 5 hitters will be crucial. This is both a transition year for the Cards, and a formative year... With all the best draft picks hitting the majors the past few years, the next crop of stud prospects in waiting is a few years off... I pick them for second place in the division, but a solid contender for a wild card spot. IF the Cubs pitching gets injured... and the Cards pitching doesn't... first in the division

Pirates:

They got rid of some, and seem to be in a "soft" rebuild. It isn't a total rebuild, as they didn't trade McCutchen (although mostly because he had a bad years last year and his return wasn't great) they will compete, but not like the last few. I'll say, that if McCutchen has a good year and they are not in contention, they will trade him this year. Hopefully, moving to a corner outfield spot as he is projected to will help him out. They have 3 solid starting pitchers, but the other 2 are wild cards. I want to see another season of Kang at third of short, that man is a stud from Korea. He has been a great pickup for them.

Brewers:

Could surprise us all. They sold a lot last year, and got some prospects in a rebuild. Will be a down year IMO, but they aren't far off. 2018 and 2019 look like up years for the Brew Crew.

Reds:

They finally comitted to a rebuild, although 3 years to late. IIRC they traded Phillips and thank god. Too big a salary for too little return. The sun has set on him both offensively and defensively (not that he is bad by any means, just not for what they are paying him) I'm still shocked they havent' traded Votto. For a team in a rebuild they have a talent like him, but won't move him. They still pay him a LOT to be the best player on a losing team... That makes zero sense. What they could have gotten in return either of the past 2 years significantly outplays his value on a losing team. As i said, they should have committed to a rebuild 2 years ago and they would be close to contention now. Their first 2 pitchers are fine, but their back 3 have HUGE questions... I pick them for last in the division this year, and sadly, had they heeded my advice any of the past 3 years, they would be in contention...

As for the rest of the NL:

In the NL East... The Mets and Nats both have the pitching. Nats have Bryce Harper, while we all love to hate him, you can't argue with the man's talent. He will also be in a contract year... It will be hard to bet against him. I think the Mets/Nats slug it out and it comes down to injuries as to who takes first place. The other will have a solid shot at the wild card. The Braves, and Phillies and both in the middle of rebuild, and the Marlins aren't there yet, but a step closer. Marlins will be solidly in the middle of the pack. Braves look good in the 2019 and 2020 season though, watch out if they keep going.

In the NL West, I think this is the Dodgers year. I think they are by far the best team in the West. I am still shocked the Rockies didn't fire sale their outfielf and first base talent last year, but the rumors are they were asking for current talent, top prospects, mining rights on the moon, and the firstborn of the opposing General Manger. That will cost them. Blackmon had a career year IMO, and Cargo ain't getting younger. Plus... anyone that they have has to take into account playing at Coor's Field and that means their offensive numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. With the return the White Sox got for Adam Eaton I would have thought Blackmon would have gone for at least 300 trillion dollars... I guess the other GM's saw the "Coor's Field" effect too, despite him having better splits on the road. All of that said, I think the Dodgers, if healthy, will be the second best team in the NL this year, compared to the Cubs. Like the Cubs, a pitching injury, or god forbid two, will sink them.

AL I will keep brief, and base this upon nothing as I am not following the unAmerican, DH-ing pansy league.

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Indians
AL West: A's

I base the DHing pansies predictions on nothing, because that isn't baseball, the pitcher should have to bat.

Kevin

I look forward to your post every year. Go Cards!

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this is the year the Mariners make it to the playoffs. Longest playoff drought in baseball.

Posts: 5073 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Five to four, bottom of the fifth, one out, nobody on.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
We are a baseball family. We have been playing, coaching, watching games together for 20 odd years. Can't wait for another season. My boys are now grown, but we all still enjoy getting out to a game (Grapevine Faith, TCU/UTA, Texas Rangers) when they are around.

Oh, and I am looking forward to the NEW domed MLB stadium in Arlington coming in a couple of years...103 degree games in August are a beating!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^Tiger fan also..from the 60's~now.^^^^^

Last years season , was the most exciting in many years.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've become a baseball fan over the past season and a half, football's lost it's flavor.

Posts: 8150 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post