SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SpaceX unveils Falcon Heavy at Cape Canaveral
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SpaceX unveils Falcon Heavy at Cape Canaveral Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
This is amazing. Unfortunately, I doubt it will get more than 15 seconds on the evening news. Science, math, desire and capitalism can accomplish astounding things.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
This is amazing. Unfortunately, I doubt it will get more than 15 seconds on the evening news. Science, math, desire and capitalism can accomplish astounding things.

I don’t get the lack of attention...this is something that shows what we, what private industry can accomplish when we’re not focused on getting offended by stupid shit.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The side by side side booster landings are science fiction made nonfiction.

One must wonder how Jules Verne would feel seeing that happen.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I don’t get the lack of attention...this is something that shows what we, what private industry can accomplish when we’re not focused on getting offended by stupid shit.

I think you answered your own question there.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have always regretted not going to Cape Canaveral to see the last launch of a Saturn V.
Now I plan to attend one of the launches of a Falcon Heavy, and expect to be thrilled to the bone.

While the shuttle was more powerful than the Saturn V, the Saturn V was more impressive.

I share your regret, but the last Saturn V flew when I was a kid. I couldn't have gotten myself there.

The Saturn V remains the tallest, heaviest, and most powerful operational rocket (the Russian N1 (rocket) was theoretically more powerful but it never flew successfully).

The Saturn V still holds records for the heaviest payload launched and largest payload capacity lifted to low Earth orbit of 118,000 Kg. Each of the first stage's five Rocketdyne F-1 engines produced 6,770 kN (1.55 million pounds) thrust.

For comparison, the Space Shuttle was roughly half as tall as Saturn V and had a maximum lifting capacity of 24,400Kg to LEO. However, even though the Shuttle's two Solid Rocket Boosters each had much more thrust (12,500 kN/2.8 million pounds), than a single F1 rocket engine, the Shuttle's total thrust (including its three SSME rocket engines) was only about half that of the Saturn V.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely amazing to watch - especially successfully landing the core on the drone ship!

I would absolutely LOVE to catch a launch of one of these things in person.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

it won't get any attention because it simply highlights American technological exceptionalism and the media can't have that...it makes their foreign masters look neutered

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watched it from the front yard...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That's really cool. How close were you?

I wasn't home. If I had been, the canal across the street from my parents' house lines up with Cape Canaveral. We watched quite a few shuttle launches from our side of the State.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
It was awesome. I got to see it from the Saturn 5 location at Kennedy. Its 3.9 miles from the pad which you can clearly see. I try to post a photo later.
I took the wife and kids, we spent all day Wed, till it was scrubbed at 7pm, then sat most of the day yesterday till it lit off at 6:35.

The sound was so cool and powerful, it really was amazing. Helps to hook the kids on science young!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Every time Jennifer said “Of Course I Still Love You”, my heart skipped a beat. Big Grin

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Every time Jennifer said “Of Course I Still Love You”, my heart skipped a beat. Big Grin

ROTFLMAO

You got us twice... first your comment about how you reacted and then again when your occupation was recalled and added to the mix. Great stuff Doc! Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That's really cool. How close were you?

I wasn't home. If I had been, the canal across the street from my parents' house lines up with Cape Canaveral. We watched quite a few shuttle launches from our side of the State.

North East side of Orlando

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
One Sunday When I was at missile school (ICBMs) at Vandy everybody was doing what you do at a zero failure training school, studying, when our quarters started shaking. Thinking earthquake we all bailed out and that's when we heard, and saw, a Titan heading off the planet.

It was something to hear and feel that's for sure.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Watching the launch and twin booster return landing from a Cessna!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/AuTAu5VmtFw

and from a boat:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/uLCXn445-eQ

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post