SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SpaceX unveils Falcon Heavy at Cape Canaveral
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SpaceX unveils Falcon Heavy at Cape Canaveral Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
For spring break we're camping at Jetty Park Campground. I hope there's a launch scheduled while we are there.

Here you go. All the known launches scheduled, world wide.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
My Cousin's husband is the CO of the 45th Launch group, I'll hopefully get close!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
For spring break we're camping at Jetty Park Campground. I hope there's a launch scheduled while we are there.

Here you go. All the known launches scheduled, world wide.

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Cool, thanks. Looks like a 3/13 launch of a Falcon 9. Lots of TBD for early 2018 and March 2018.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Did anybody notice the payload for the first launch?

Elon Musk Will Launch His Tesla Roadster to Mars on SpaceX's 1st Falcon Heavy Rocket

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:

Elon Musk Will Launch His Tesla Roadster to Mars on SpaceX's 1st Falcon Heavy Rocket

Somewhere there are a bunch of slide rule rocket engineers from the 60s with big fat smiles on their face. "Mans going to shoot a red sportster coupe into orbit around Mars just for fuck's sake."

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
These guys are REALLY good!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Just more space junk to be floating around for thousands of years...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Somewhere there are a bunch of slide rule rocket engineers from the 60s with big fat smiles on their face. "Mans going to shoot a red sportster coupe into orbit around Mars just for fuck's sake."

Lol I can picture some older gents, button up shirts, pocket protectors full, thick black rimmed glasses and greying crew cuts high fiving each other over morning coffee at their favorite diner. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
now thats a BFR

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
That would be nice to light off on the 4th of July.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do it often. They do it successfully. They do it a hell of a lot cheaper than NASA.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
now thats a BFR

Just not the BFR...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

Big Grin

yep, but still...thats gonna be fun to watch

and I think SpaceX has a launch tomorrow if memory serves me right

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yup, Falcon 9 • Iridium Next 31-40 from Vandy / 8:27:23 p.m. EST; 5:27:23 p.m. PST.

They could recover the 1st stage but it looks like they aren't going to try - it has already been reused once from the second Iridium launch and since it's an earlier Block 3 first stage, likely not worth the effort to recover.

Block 5 FT models are shooting for 10 flights per first stage.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think this will be the only non-recovery this year

not too shabby

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
There were 3 other expendable / no 1st stage recovery flights this year - but by design, as the payloads required all the fuel to boost into orbit, leaving none / not enough for a recovery attempt. But all the attempted recoveries were successful this year.

The early Falcon rockets are more of a testbed to figure out how to make them more easily reusable, with the desire to launch, recover the stage, and then be able to launch it again with only inspections and not extensive refurbishment - basically instead of having to always built new rockets, they'd have a stable of rockets and spacecraft, then reuse them as needed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If it's the first one reused twice they should recover it, retire it, and put it on display somewhere. Like maybe the Blue Falcon operations parking lot.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yup, Falcon 9 • Iridium Next 31-40 from Vandy / 8:27:23 p.m. EST; 5:27:23 p.m. PST.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:

Thats fuck you money right there.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
great launch last night