SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. *** Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Oh man, that sucks so much! You'll get no lectures from me, I'd gather that more than one person on this board have left themselves vulnerable to this happening at least one in their lifetime.

I bought this for my 4-Runner, love the security of this. Fits custom snug in your vehicle's console.

http://www.consolevault.com/To...2010--2017_p_71.html

I have one of those for my Tundra.
So big the wife's purse can fit in it.

Lock'er Down Gun Vault

Modified mine with magnets to hold everything into place.
Used Chicago screws to mount the magnets.

I highly recommend the electronic lock.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sorry you lost your blaster, great ideas here about securing weapons in vehicles here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
*tsk* <wags finger at 12131>

Going forward: https://www.amazon.com/SnapSaf...ativeASIN=B00TONRU9S

Hope you get it back.

Roll Eyes

Really? And how long do you think it would take someone at a dealership to get into that? One hit with a hammer and a screwdriver would be more than enough to get in. Or just cut the cable with pliers.

Way better than nothing!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I can't and won't pile on here. 12131 is a good man and things happen. A lesson has been learned and any person who has the guts to publicize it in an attempt to remind others is a big man.

I hope you have good fortune getting it back.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
*tsk* <wags finger at 12131>

Going forward: https://www.amazon.com/SnapSaf...ativeASIN=B00TONRU9S

Hope you get it back.

Roll Eyes

Really? And how long do you think it would take someone at a dealership to get into that? One hit with a hammer and a screwdriver would be more than enough to get in. Or just cut the cable with pliers.

Way better than nothing!

Yes. It is better than nothing.

It is one thing for a dealer employee to grab something that is stuffed into a space unsecured. It is quite another for a dealer employee to actively break into a locked container in a customer's vehicle.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying anything new here, but it bears repeating -- most theft is a crime of opportunity.

Say what you will about those little safes, but they will go a long way to protecting you from the opportunistic thief.

A thief with tools and determination will be able to access most any safe. That doesn't mean you just give up, it just means you need to set your expectations appropriately.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
Yes. It is better than nothing.

It is one thing for a dealer employee to grab something that is stuffed into a space unsecured. It is quite another for a dealer employee to actively break into a locked container in a customer's vehicle.

And extremely unlikely in one hour between 8:30 and 9:30 in the morning.

On the other hand, when my truck was in for repairs that involved spending significant time in one dealership's body shop and some in another dealership's mechanical shop for reprogramming, the nanovault that was under the seat, cabled to the seat, locked closed, empty was stolen. Whoever did it beat the crud out of the coating on the cable trying to get it off, then obviously got better tools and forced the box open. Sigh...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

After all that, I located the gun.

sigmonkey's post on page 2 about his gun in the hotel room gave me the nudge to search the house again, and, the third time was the charm. Found it, in its case, in the garage, inside the the desk drawer of the AR15 work station that's now use as storage space. Maybe I put it there on the day I took the car to the shop, who knows. I can only speculate now, because I truly do not remember when I put it there. Roll Eyes

I feel really bad, that because of my stupidity, I suspected innocent people of a crime that never happened. Apology went out to the dealership.
Also, let the SO know that I've found it.

One good thing that came out of this is a lot of of good advice/comments/opinions I got from the thread. Thank you, everyone, for your time.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear this. Better head down to the shop w/ donuts.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
If you contacted the dealership about this, write a note of apology to corporate HQ outlining the confusion and offering reasons why the dealership is exemplary.

Bring something to the dealership in question, lunch for instance.

People make mistakes, that's why pencils come from the factory with erasers on them.

It's not how you fall, it's how you get up again.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congrats, no harm, no foul.

And yeah, next time you're in the area, perhaps a case of beer for the guys at your mechanics shop Smile. To insure no hard feelings for future visits.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
UPDATE:

After all that, I located the gun.

Ain't that a bitch? The unknown stirs up a raft of bad Karma. Same thing happened to me the other day. A new flush valve in an open box failed to operate. Naturally I suspected swapped parts, a counterman sabotaging my job, everything except the obvious. Which turned out to be excessive pressure - 102# p.s.i.

Glad you found your gun. I usually find keys or my knife in the most unlikely spot. But one fact unites and binds these events:

It is usually in the last place checked. But not always. 'Cause I've looked right at an item and missed it. Unless the angels are having their fun. Wink

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no harm, no foul, unless you were the people at the dealership.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
That is SOOOOO... AWESOME Big Grin....do not be embarrassed in the least...KARMA smiles on those deserving...of...GOOD KARMA!...that is you my friend Big Grin...my faith is restored by this good news!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

You had it taken care of. Removed and stored the gun before leaving it for service.

Only problem was, after everything was taken care of, you forgot. That part of it wasn't a big deal. Next time just know that you've taken care of the "missing" item and look for it harder. Smile

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad it turned up in your possession, the best outcome.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodman:

Wait a minute here. You're telling us you keep looking after you found the item? Of course its the last place you look, because for most of us we stop looking when we find the item. Really.

On the lost gun thing...A really good friend sold me a M60 back in 1973. I put it away and then couldn't find it. We had a break in about 1978 but I didn't think it was stolen in that incident. So we moved in 1995 and the gun didn't turn up. Thing happen and in 1997 I was selling the house. I went up to that house for one last walk through before turning over the keys. Our closet had 10' ceilings just like the rest of the house. On the far corner of the top shelf I spotted what looked like a sock. I couldn't reach it so I got a curtain rod and fished. Sure enough, in the sock was the M60. I often used old socks as gun rugs, but don't ever remember putting it up that high. So right now I'm only missing a couple of handguns. But I had sons so that may be where they went. I know a double barrel went with one. He says he'll bring it back. Probably for cleaning.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
All's well, that ends well. - Wm. Shakespeare

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Glad to read you found it. I would not be embarrassed by this.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
On the lost gun thing...A really good friend sold me a M60 back in 1973. I put it away and then couldn't find it. We had a break in about 1978 but I didn't think it was stolen in that incident. So we moved in 1995 and the gun didn't turn up. Thing happen and in 1997 I was selling the house. I went up to that house for one last walk through before turning over the keys. Our closet had 10' ceilings just like the rest of the house. On the far corner of the top shelf I spotted what looked like a sock. I couldn't reach it so I got a curtain rod and fished. Sure enough, in the sock was the M60. I often used old socks as gun rugs, but don't ever remember putting it up that high. So right now I'm only missing a couple of handguns. But I had sons so that may be where they went. I know a double barrel went with one. He says he'll bring it back. Probably for cleaning.
You have socks big enough to conceal an M60? Wow!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post