SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. *** Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Thanks, flashguy, for sharing that.

But really, no one should feel ashamed when he or she is the victim of a crime. We all fall victim at some point in our lives. The shame always lies with the perpetrator.

All we can do is live and learn and do better.

I agree.

One incident would already make me feel awful but you had three even. I know how I felt when thieves took my cheap ratan patio furniture after we had a garage sale.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Thanks, flashguy, for sharing that.

But really, no one should feel ashamed when he or she is the victim of a crime. We all fall victim at some point in our lives. The shame always lies with the perpetrator.

All we can do is live and learn and do better.

Very true rationale, even situational awareness fails each of us at times. I have gotten to the point, I do not want "new visitors" at my home or property anymore.

Not a firearm,but many years ago in my auto restoration days, Some one stole a Really nice original Ford 390 Police Interceptor motor and bellhousing I had just stored under a lean to tobacco barn shelter, that was out of sight of my home,everything on that motor was original and the car it was removed from only showed 30,000 miles.

I am just hoping the SOB's that stole it wrenched their backs.

After that incident, nothing is left like that anymore.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
But, I can think of a high probability of the culprit.

I have a Ruger P90, the tank, that I've always kept in the trunk of the car, for "just in case". Yesterday, I had a flat, and, when getting the spare out to change tires, I found out that the gun is gone. No signs of breaking in. Looked everywhere in the house. Nope. Gone. WTF?

Then, I dawned on me. The last time the car was not in my direct possession was late last month, when I took it in for routine scheduled service at the big local dealer. I've made a report of a lost firearm to the Sheriff's office. I know I have no direct proof, but should I still file a complaint with the dealership?

Man, I'm so mad at myself. What a dumbass. Mad

Gun: Ruger P90T .45ACP Serial # 661-66453, purchased 3.28.98, still have original receipt.

I'm not going to chastise you because I keep a gun in my center console of my truck. I always remove it when I take my truck in for service.

One time I had a mobile car wash guy show up at my work and offer a great price for a detail. I agreed to let him detail my truck and unlocked my truck so he could work on it. I forgot all about the gun being in there.

About two hours later I remembered the gun and went running out there. He thought I was a crazy man the way I went tearing out there. Luckily the gun was still there but I felt like an idiot for forgetting about it.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
- All the online reporting to the SO was a waste of time. It was rejected. They said I had to call in. So, I did. Wouldn't things that are documented be better than phone conversation? The dispatcher who took the call didn't even ask for the gun's serial number. Roll Eyes

- I also just shot off an email to the dealership in a non-confrontational/non-accusatory manner, asking for their help looking into the matter. We'll see.

- Gun is not in the safes, and nowhere in the house.

- Someone asked yesterday but then deleted it, but no, I did not Karma this gun. Razz It's such a nasty beater that I would be embarrassed to do it. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know how frustrating that sort of thing can be. Disinterest when you try to do your part as a respectable citizen.

Now put it behind you and please let us know what happens down the road. Around these parts these things show up. Again, thank you for your generosity as well as knowledge.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure the Dealership knows they will be getting a "few" visits from various agencies in the coming weeks.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
- All the online reporting to the SO was a waste of time. It was rejected. They said I had to call in. So, I did. Wouldn't things that are documented be better than phone conversation? The dispatcher who took the call didn't even ask for the gun's serial number.

You didn't visit the station in-person?

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) For the problem at hand, you need to go into your SO station in person and complain. Unfortunately, property crimes, including stolen guns get low priority. Taking a theft report on a firearm without the serial number is negligence. Tell them you need a report in the system and they need to enter the SN into NCIC as soon as possible. The property crimes people should also run it in LeadsOnline to see if it has been pawned. This is about as much as you can realistically hope for.

Make sure you get a copy of the report and check to see the serial number is recorded correctly.

The quicker they get the gun into NCIC the better the chance of you recovering it.

2) Since property crimes are low priority I would suggest following up with the dealership yourself and asking them to review security video if it has not yet recycled. As noted, Mechanics and service writers aren't the only ones with access to your car at the dealership. There are porters, car washers etc they may have had stuff go missing before.

3) Now the bad part - DON'T KEEP GUNS IN YOUR CAR ON A PERMENANT BASIS. After 20 years in LE "car gun" is synonymous with "crime gun." Guns stolen out of vehicles are THE number one source of crime guns in my area.

Retrieving a gun from the car for defensive use is largely a fantasy. Either it's on you or it will be all over before you retrieve it from the car.

Stashing your CCW in you car temporarily because you need to enter a prohibited area is some times necessary. In these or similar circumstances a locked case secured to the vehicle goes a long way to reducing thefts from smash and grabs or unintentionally leaving your car unlocked. Chain, cable lock or even handcuffed to the seat supports or the hinge of the trunk adds time most auto burglars don't want to spend.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Make sure the Dealership knows they will be getting a "few" visits from various agencies in the coming weeks.

This is what should happen but it is unlikely. Individual Property crimes, even firearms thefts are a relatively low priority.

Best you can hope for is the serial number is entered into NCIC and LeadsOnline so the gun will show as stolen if run by LE or by a pawnshop.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Was that grip textured by a Doberman or Lab? Wink

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Oh man, that sucks so much! You'll get no lectures from me, I'd gather that more than one person on this board have left themselves vulnerable to this happening at least one in their lifetime.

I bought this for my 4-Runner, love the security of this. Fits custom snug in your vehicle's console.

http://www.consolevault.com/To...2010--2017_p_71.html

Thank you for posting the link, I ordered one this evening for my Dodge Ram 1500.

The statement made, that 60% of handguns stolen are from vehicles, was a real eye opener for me.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ya... the need to input the serial number... that is how guns are tracked. I would speak with an officer....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131: It's such a nasty beater that I would be embarrassed to do it.

In the early '00s I acquired the KP89 off a customer of Stone's Gun Shop. Even Mr Stone, who liked a good deal, didn't want it in his case. But a durable beater, it sure was.

Good luck. The police, looking at employee records for that day, probably have a good idea of the culprit.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are an NRA member , be sure to file a claim . Any other insurance coverage ?

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read about your gun being stolen. And being that you are one of the most generous people here, and I imagine in other parts of your life, makes it somehow feel worse. Hopefully some karma in life shines down on you and doubles what you receive back.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
*tsk* <wags finger at 12131>

Going forward: https://www.amazon.com/SnapSaf...ativeASIN=B00TONRU9S

Hope you get it back.

Roll Eyes

Really? And how long do you think it would take someone at a dealership to get into that? One hit with a hammer and a screwdriver would be more than enough to get in. Or just cut the cable with pliers.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
"Man, I'm so mad at myself. What a dumbass...Ruger P90T"

Q., would you please clarify something for me? The "dumbass", is it because you left it in your car, or is it because you have a Ruger as a car gun? Wink

Every gun I keep in my cars are ones that I can rely on 100%: an HK P2000SK (w/3 P30 mags) in my wife's car, and currently an HK P2000 (5 mags) in my car (replaced a Sig P226, w/6 mags), but are not expensive enough to miss if they are stolen.

A Ruger? "Dumbass" is way too strong, how about "embarrassed to admit it on the Sig forum". Smile

PS: Please, the above post is fun hyperbole, please do not castigate the poster. Thank you.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midway USA has the large snap safe on sale for $13.99. Got one last week.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
Q., would you please clarify something for me? The "dumbass", is it because you left it in your car, or is it because you have a Ruger as a car gun? Wink

Every gun I keep in my cars are ones that I can rely on 100%

I have a "trunk gun" and it is a Ruger p89, locked, complying with CA laws. Don't sell the Ruger P-series short; sure, they are chunky and blocky and rattle when you shake 'em, but they are 100% reliable and accurate enough as an emergency firearm. My P89 has fired every single round cycled thru it. They are not elegant in any sense compared to European 9mms, but their reputation as reliable handguns is nothing to sneeze at.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS: Please, the above post is fun hyperbole, please do not castigate the poster. Thank you.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post