SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. ***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm ashamed to report that one of my pistols is lost/stolen, and I don't know how! *** UPDATE (p. 5): Major embarrassment, because I found it. *** Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I just read in another thread the guy wants to buy a truck gun.
Every time I read a line like that I just shake my head.
What happened to you is why.

Good luck getting it back,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm presuming the "details" include make, model, and serial number. You'd be surprised at how many guns get recovered because that information is put into the system. (I've gotten 8 of 22 back.)

flashguy

You've had 22 guns stolen or lost?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would put pressure on the dealer as well. They may have video of their service bay, which may show something, but which may expire after a certain amount of time. They will also have a record (if they are any way organized) of which techs worked on your vehicle.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
One question, did they perform a courtesy car wash when it was serviced?
Might not have been stolen by anyone in the actual service department.

Situation certainly sucks but with all the recent 'good karma' you have been issuing, I trust it will end well.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
One question, did they perform a courtesy car wash when it was serviced?
Might not have been stolen by anyone in the actual service department.

This might be true. Took my BMW in for service and someone stole my kids' gameboy out of the car. Talked to the service manager and he said probably the cleaning crew. This was years ago but my kids still talk about it sometimes now. It scarred them for life Mad

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
I'm presuming the "details" include make, model, and serial number. You'd be surprised at how many guns get recovered because that information is put into the system. (I've gotten 8 of 22 back.)

flashguy

That's what I was thinking too. Unless it was a home break in or something and they stole a collection.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I just read in another thread the guy wants to buy a truck gun.
Every time I read a line like that I just shake my head.
What happened to you is why.

Good luck getting it back,
Bob

I am sorry for your misfortune.

I won't lecture anyone here, but my side arm is where it belongs, on my person. I do not leave any firearm in a vehicle, unless its in my storage vault secured in my vehicle, and only until I can retrieve it soon.

My view if some one is crooked enough to steal your gun, they are low enough to possibly use it in a shooting of some one innocent.

There are a lot of people that think a vehicle is a good place to keep a pistol. A pistol beongs on you.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, 12131, and I hope your Ruger is recovered FAST.

As to you guys who are busting on "truck guns" or guns kept in cars, you apparently have little experience with or knowledge of rural life styles. You should be way less judgmental.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Sorry to hear that, 12131, and I hope your Ruger is recovered FAST.

As to you guys who are busting on "truck guns" or guns kept in cars, you apparently have little experience with or knowledge of rural life styles. You should be way less judgmental.

These disageements happen in the forum often.
I stand by what I wrote, I have lived rural for 65 years.

I hope the best for Mr 12131, seems bad things always happen to good people.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One result of my experience, when a worker at my home managed to slip my 226 Navy away from my safe during a move while we were redoing the flooring in my study, was that I became inflexible about firearm security. I don't think I was particularly lax or careless, but the experience focused my mind on the potential and what was required to prevent it.

The event was fully discussed here, about 10 years ago. The pistol was found a few days later under the seat of a car in the parking lot of a high school at 3 AM, occupied by two dudes who had no business having it. I finally got it back months later after extraordinary hassle.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I would still talk to the dealership. If someone would steal yours, chances are it's not the first time. And if they have a record of missing items from cars tied to one mechanic...
Same here. I'd be certain to talk to them. The Owner is probably the best to get with.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this. Thieves are the worst.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised at how many gun owners just leave a gun in their vehicles. Car break ins are quite common. I'm sure we either all know someone close who has had it happen or has had it happen to yourself. And pretty much every case I've heard about concerning someone having his gun stolen, it was from his vehicle.

I've considered keeping a truck gun and would love to be able to, but it's awful risky. Even in the very affluent and somewhat rural area that I live in, car break-ins are on the rise and becoming a problem. I no longer consider keeping a gun in my vehicle 24/7 to be a prudent action for me. I just won't do it. Ammo is a different story.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've had a recent spate of gun thefts in downtown Rapid City. Chief of Police reported that the vast majority were from UNLOCKED cars with weapons either in plain sight or not very well secured. Duh.............

http://rapidcityjournal.com/op...c1-7cfcd4f1dacf.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

I think it was a single heist. If somebody got to my cache, it would also be considerable.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

It stolen from a home, very possible. One reason after the collection grew a safe was purchased to store them all.

quote:
courtesy car wash when it was serviced?

That usually involves driving it threw a automated car wash. No reason to go into the trunk.

Probably the best chance is dealership cameras if so equipped. Unfortunately, they usually only cover the exertior.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
~*~INSTANT KARMA~*~

NanoVault

I ran across an extra NanoVault mini gun safe the other day. It has a cable with a loop on each end to secure it to your vehicle. You run the cable around something secure in your car like the seat frame, pass one cable end thru the other attaching it to the anchor point, then just put the other end of the cable, the loose end, in the NanoVault when you lock it up and slide it back under the seat. This will all make sense when you get it. The model I'm offering will fit my P226 without and indication of damaging it. But, it just BARELY fits that large of a pistol.

With that said, If you would like the ~*~Instant Karma~*~ email me at Rotndad~AT~Gmail.com and put something in the subject line that I'll recognize as not spam and send me a shipping address so I can get it mailed out to you.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
even if your gun does not show up, your concern should be addresses with the store manager.

yours might be the 1st concern that someone has
expressed, or it might be the third in 3 weeks.

either way he/she make take precautions against further complaints

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Yes. I have reported several times in the past about my gun thefts, which occurred in 3 separate events in 1981, 1985, and 2001. The 1981 event was a robbery, in which I was accosted by 2 men while unloading groceries from my car, forced inside, and tied up with an extension cord while the thieves ransacked my home. They got away with 13 guns (I did not have a safe, but at one point they threatened me with a claw hammer to the head while I was tied up, so a safe would not have helped). I reported all of those guns to the police and eventually recovered 5 of them. In 1985 I had to empty my car trunk for a trip to the airport and I just put the stuff in my garage (2 bags containing 3 handguns). Upon returning I somehow managed to fail to shut the garage door and the next morning discovered that the bags and guns were gone. I recovered 1 of those 3 guns later--it had been bought by the owner of the gun range I frequented and was being used as a "rental" gun. In 2001 I'd been to the range on Sunday and had 6 guns in my pickup truck. The next morning I was in a hurry and drove to work without removing the guns; I did cover them so they were not visible when I parked at work, however. At lunchtime, my truck was stolen, with the 6 guns in it. I have recovered 2 of those firearms. FWIW, the truck had been locked.

I am not proud of the fact that my carelessness contributed to at least 2 of the 3 thefts, and I fully acknowledge that fact. I have tried to be more cautious since then, and so far it's worked. I can confirm that reporting the details of stolen firearms to the authorities does facilitate recovery of at least some of them (8 out of 22 is not a bad result).

It is perhaps appropriate to note that in 1981, the time of the robbery, Texas did not yet have a policy permitting concealed carry (or open carry) by ordinary citizens. So discussions of "situational awareness" and "why weren't you prepared" are moot. My apartment was almost adjacent to the common laundry facility and there was always a lot of foot traffic going past my open parking stall. As it happens, the 2 perps had engaged in several such events around that time and were eventually arrested and put away; it did not lead to recovery of the stolen guns, though--the recoveries came later, one after 10 years. One of the recoveries from the 2001 theft also came about 10 years later.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Thanks, flashguy, for sharing that.

But really, no one should feel ashamed when he or she is the victim of a crime. We all fall victim at some point in our lives. The shame always lies with the perpetrator.

All we can do is live and learn and do better.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post