SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passengers Rescued From Disabled Cruise Ship Off Norway's West Coast
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passengers Rescued From Disabled Cruise Ship Off Norway's West Coast Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That makes no sense at all. Unless the engineers on that ship are completely inept.

Here's the article on Fox news:

"The “direct cause” of the ship’s problems was an insufficient amount of lubricating oil reaching its engines, Lars Alvestad, the acting director general of the Norwegian Maritime Authority, said, according to The Associated Press.
CRUISE SHIP STRANDED OFF NORWAY’S COAST REACHES PORT AFTER HARROWING HELICOPTER RESCUES
“The heavy seas probably caused movements in the tanks so large that the supply to the lubricating oil pumps stopped,” Alvestad said. “This triggered an alarm indicating a low level of lubrication oil, which in turn, shortly thereafter, caused an automatic shutdown of the engines.”"
https://www.foxnews.com/travel...-oil-levels-official

Low lube oil on the El Faro is what caused it's plant to shut down also, once it started listing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Low lube oil on the El Faro is what caused it's plant to shut down also, once it started listing.

Completely different scenario. And I know every detail about the El Faro.

Seriously, was this cruise ship rolling over 45 degrees or something? Even so, it wouldn't be a sustained list. It wouldn't even be a sustained 15-20 degree list which is what doomed the El Faro. If they kept their sumps so low that something like this could happen just from rolling in heavy seas...well, as a Chief Engineer of an ocean going vessel, I'm incredulous.

Or it's just a shoddy designed plant.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Completely different scenario. And I know every detail about the El Faro.

Seriously, was this cruise ship rolling over 45 degrees or something? Even so, it wouldn't be a sustained list. It wouldn't even be a sustained 15-20 degree list which is what doomed the El Faro. If they kept their sumps so low that something like this could happen just from rolling in heavy seas...well, as a Chief Engineer of an ocean going vessel, I'm incredulous.

Or it's just a shoddy designed plant.

The only correlation I meant to make between the two ships is that the lube oil tank level was low (perhaps within spec but at the low end of the level) and with the heavy sea state and rolling or list caused the plant or engines to shut down.

On the Viking Sky it's possible that the oil tank doesn't have baffles in it (or proper ones) to keep the oil from sloshing around. Another possibility is the sloshing (from rolling) caused the hot oil to get airated.

But either way, it sounds like the engineers weren't paying attention the oil level in the oil tank. Either way it's a screw up of massive proportions that could've been easily avoided. They were 300 yards from being the next Costa Concordia.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
That's exactly my take, Jimmy. It's all about baffles.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a propulsion engine without baffles in the crankcase, which also provide structural support.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post