SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It has been a good long while,
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It has been a good long while, Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir! You and your wife have a lot to be. proud of and have been very blessed, indeed!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8335 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Has your son thought about applying for an Air Force ROTC scholarship?

Yes he has and up until his senior year and deciding on Norwich, AFROTC was not an option he would have considered.

He and his sister are doing everything they can to graduate with as little debt as possible. AFROTC would aid him considerably. He went made it through to the third round of reviews this last spring.

Ultimately I think two things worked against him. At the time of his interview, he was still 16. He had spent the last year under covid and at-home learning. There are few opportunities to distinguish his leadership skills in those forums. The second major factor is that he missed out on a whole year of grades. He went from 3rd in his class to 33rd based on credits earned and weighted classes.

The LT of the local JRotc gave him some good advice and Navy PT gear. If the AF won't take you, I'll write a recommendation to Norwich's navy board/contingent. So as of now he is a candidate for AFROTC and looking to either pick up a 4-year scholarship 2nd term or a 3 year ROTC scholarship his sophomore year. Most ROTC scholarships are 3 years. (80% or more)

One of his 3 roommates is a 4 year Navy scholarship in mechanical engineering. All of his roommates are either Physics or mechanical engineering students.

We heard back from him last night via email. He said he had 'Fun,' in his first classes. This is from a young man who thinks adjectives are a waste of letters. All in all, I have never seen him happier or more excited.

My daughter is doing well. Her school has a comprehensive program to engage freshmen and teach them how to succeed. As it is an all-girls school, there is a lot of sisterhood themes going on. Last night she and the friends she made on the pre-arrival outdoor class had a blast. She was non-plussed about her German text book costing her 200 bucks.

quote:
One of my good friends who passed a few years back graduated from Norwich, he and his fellow classmates got together annually after graduation. Mac spent a tour in Vietnam as a tank commander, remember him telling me that the first time he was shot at when up top he dumped every round out of the 50 and burnt the barrel up so bad that shots were going everywhere LOL.

Your son should make life long friends from there, I know Mac loved the place...

I have been on many campuses and around many colleges where the alumni would consider themselves a cult. I have never experienced a kinship as both Hollins and Norwich have. They are polar opposites but as tightly woven and strong as steel. My kids were very discerning in their choices of schools. I have to applaud them both for the level of maturity it took to plan ahead and focus on these two institutions.

I do have to chuckle at how my son chose to introduce himself to the Norwich Alumni send-off.

There is a line of the new freshman class, the first three are ramrod straight. 'I am going Corps, Rotc, major, and sport.'

My son, hands in his pockets. 'Yeah, I am happy to be attending. Dual major, and I just want to build shit.'

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and them too. Well done! You should be very proud.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10901 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son made it through homecoming weekend, and all the shenanigans that the upperclassmen put the Rooks through. He's there, he's enjoying it as much as he will ever admit.

He is in two photos here featured on the NU Newsroom.
https://www.norwich.edu/news/3...d-nitrogen-ice-cream

He is the one stirring the pot, pun intended, and the one at the end of the hall in the bottom photo.

He apparently, as his roommates shouted it out last week, is the defacto company tutor for chemistry, physics, and math. With a line waiting out the dorm door.

He and his three roommates are 1 of two rooms that have not been shifted around. Which says a lot about those four young men.

We spoke to my daughter this weekend, she picked up some weekend work felling trees with her boyfriend's parents' company. Her classes are doing well also. She enjoys the weekly concert series, the music group she is in, puts on at a local church.

So, they seem to be doing well, which for us parents, is a relief.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I congratulate you, for a 2 for 2, awesome parents!! I don't know where I went wrong or right but I'm 1 for 2 with two girls 13 years apart. The first a disappointment somewhat, the 2nd is a trooper and makes me happy everyday!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I congratulate you, for a 2 for 2, awesome parents!! I don't know where I went wrong or right but I'm 1 for 2 with two girls 13 years apart. The first a disappointment somewhat, the 2nd is a trooper and makes me happy everyday!

Some fruits take longer to ripen. Hang in there, I took years....

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Looks like you did a great job and raised some great kids. You should be proud. Congratulations!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4024 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a family weekend this last week. We had a long drive up. We set out knowing we would adopt another of my son's Rook brothers to stay with us for the whole weekend. We ended up being blessed with three more.

left to right
RCT Tran Criminal justice major 4-2
RCT Reid Political Science 1-1
RCT Brown Communications 1-3
RCT Kimpton Physics and Mechanical engineering 4-3

RCT Reid and RCT Brown graduated from the same High School as my son this year. None of the three knew that the others had applied to NU. They knew each other casually, but now, it is something more. Neither had a place to go for family weekend. We adopted them along with RCT Tran (who is in the same company as my son). Good food, and lots of sleep. If you are ever worried about the future of this nation, look at these four young men. Fuck me if they could not change the direction of it by the strength of their will and good character. It was an amazing time, and I am proud to have been able to meet them all.

Those in First company had to be back at 1600 on Sunday. So RCT Reid and Brown returned back first. The Cup is full of quarters for laundry. I made sure these men had enough goodies to see them through a few weeks.

RCT Tran and Kimpton had to be back at 2000. I caught my son blinking, and did not realize it until later.

They called their parents, ate, and slept.

These are the three Hannover Hooligans

It was a rough start for First company, both Reid and Brown ended up in quarantine with we think strep. As did much of their company, but they put up a great showing for the parade drills on Saturday.

Fourth company did very well, taking the Individual drill award home.
4-3

What did the young men have to say about the school? the Corps?
The quitters are bitches, its hard, but worth it.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Most excellent job done by all. Their is hope for American with kids like these in the works!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10901 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Well done by all, mom and dad in particular. Kids don’t turn out like yours by accident.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update time,
My Rook, isn't a Rook anymore. Last night he was drug out of his bed, yelled at, screamed at, and with the rest of his class, Recognized. He is now officially a cadet.

It's a big thing for him, and I couldn't be happier.

I am trying to get the twerp to send me a photo. He is heading out this next week to do thanksgiving with another in his squad. After that, he will have two weeks of finals, and then be home for winter break.

Our Daughter,

Oh, boy. She is doing well and enjoying her school. She has come back to central VA every weekend. Which has caused us a good deal of consternation. We had a long talk a few weeks back, and she and her boyfriend are getting married here in DEC.

No, not preggers. They have known each other since 8th grade. They want to be married. I can't fault them. Part of the issue is the cost of her school. It is atrocious. By getting married, she is off our taxes and onto theirs. This is where the collegiate system really fucks over single people as a way to put parents on the hook for school loans. As a spouse, she will be able to receive all the tax credits, pell grants, and significantly more help from the school.

Shawn, my future son in law is in his own internship program for HVAC. He is stuck here in central RVA for two more years. His company loves him. He keeps his mouth shut, head down and works. So, it will be a distance marriage for the first two years. Not easy. Not impossible. My wife and I did the same thing.

They have planned the wedding themselves, set aside the money she needs for school next semester, and kept things within reason.

I could not have picked a better man for her than Shawn.

If I had to have a complaint, it would be that he drives a dodge, But then again he paid 1000 bucks for it. It had sat in a field with a mere 27k on it. The previous owner had died. The only other complaint is waiting till Cj graduated, but given how much we had to pay in school loans for our own collegiate experiences. I do not blame them. Married couples have a far easier time receiving grants, scholarships, and credits than students attached to their parent's tax returns.

Even with CJ's good grades and the school covering her tuition, the ancillary costs for us to come up with are significant. CJ has covered half herself. She has a plan to use her CNA and PCT this summer, and continue working at bass pro. With Shawn's help, tax credits, and additional help in the form of pell grants and scholarships from the school they should be able to have her graduate without debt.

What is part of being an adult? Knowing when and how to make those long decisions. They know CJ has at least 8 years of schooling. They are doing their best to mitigate the cost of that schooling by thinking ahead. It isn't going to be easy, and I am sure there will be hard times. We will be here as will Shawns parents.

The future MR. and MRS. Samuels.

posted Hide Post
The recognition ceremony video. Albert is at 1:26/1.27 It is only a quick blip.

posted Hide Post
You've a lot to be proud of DSgrouse.

Thank you for sharing and reminding us that there are good young people out there ready to be future leaders and providers.

I hope each of your young people have large families!

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
You and your family are blessed! May those blessings continue!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1163 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Cj just passed her freshman seminar exam with a 95. Last week she and one other killed the bell curve in their chemistry class with a 95.

posted Hide Post
Sorry for the spotty picture updates. I have been painting, repairing a bathroom, processing deer and hunting. I only check in sporatically.

A few more pictures.

My son, in the background.

Albert in forward-leaning rest position.

Albert responding with vigor when assembling for the Rook Recognition.

A couple more, RCT Reid in during his Rook PT exam. Reid and Albert went to the same high school with Rook Brown. (who I could not find a photo of) Reid, Tran, Brown, and my son stayed with us for the parents' weekend.

Rook Tran during his Rook PT exam. He's being helped by another 4-2 Rook

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Awesome work dad!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be very proud of your kids And I am sure you are. I know it doesn't seem like it but the next few years will fly by. Been there.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This last weekend was a whirlwind.

Shawn and Cj were hitched in a small wedding that they put together. They are not big fanfare people. It ended up being twice as large as they wanted with 25 people.

My wife and I had a wonderful time. I am so happy for them both.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what a great story

congrats

Posts: 53145 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post