SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson went woke? Say it ain't so!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson went woke? Say it ain't so! Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Might be that HD hit the government loan tit from the Feds back in 08-09. HD also benefited long ago from Reagans tariff on heavy bikes to stop the Japanese manufacturers from dumping bikes in the USA at or below cost to gain market share.

The Federal Reserve disclosed who benefited from a government loan program during the crisis. The data show who sought and received credit boosts from the Commercial Paper Funding Facility (CPFF). Harley-Davidson tapped the facility on 33 separate occasions in 2008 and 2009. For how much? For a total of an amazing $2.3 billion.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
They have made so many errors, From the bike shop to the high end boutique, to not making bikes younger people want to ride, it's time for the inevitable to occur. There was a time when we paid above MSRP and waited a year to get the bike, which of course came with upgrades not ordered. Their smug answer was, well, we'll reorder it for you, someone else will take this one, in a heartbeat.

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The H-D death knell sounded when they tried to patent the sound of a V twin. When you rely on government protection to compete rather than product innovation, your days are numbered.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a Pan America. Great bike with lots of technology and Harley got most things right to compete in the adventure bike market. I wanted to buy American (previous bike was BMW) and support the local dealer. Sounds good, right? Until there are problems with the bike! The local dealer has tried to do the right thing by me to address the issues but its clear they are in over their heads when it comes to troubleshooting problems. And I dont think H-D is giving them the support they need to service this bike.
The result is this is my first and last Harley.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Death knell? Big Grin If so, its longer and more drawn out than Paul Reuben's death scene in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

"The motorcycle brand describes the sound that its V-twin engine makes as “potato-potato-potato.” And the sound is so recognizable and so central to the brand identity that in 1994, Harley-Davidson applied to have it trademarked.

After six years of a veritable biker rally of other brands—including Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki—opposing the trademark application, Harley-Davidson withdrew the application in 2000.

But, like its bike, Harley didn’t just ride off quietly."

https://www.retailbrew.com/sto...n-tried-to-trademark

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
They have made so many errors, From the bike shop to the high end boutique, to not making bikes younger people want to ride, it's time for the inevitable to occur. There was a time when we paid above MSRP and waited a year to get the bike, which of course came with upgrades not ordered. Their smug answer was, well, we'll reorder it for you, someone else will take this one, in a heartbeat.

Yes, the 2003 100th Anniversary bikes. They ran production that model year for an extra month or two to ensure that anyone that wanted an Anniversary bike could get one.

It was almost comedic the amount of people that bought those as an investment. I sold several of those “Harley Bubbles” to store their bikes in anticipation of windfall profits.

As to retaining long time riders, many dealerships are now playing the game of a model year cutoff for service work in the shop, pretty much anything more than ten years old is a pariah in their eyes.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8410 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to see them in decline, but it is what it is. I never picked up a Harley, and I’m not looking to replace my current bike anytime soon.

Posts: 526 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
My 2005 Road King still identifies as a Harley!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HD has made so many bad decisions over its lifetime that we wonder how it still survives? Especially since not many younger riders are climbing on board and following Dad, Uncle footsteps.

Posts: 65 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One would think they could easily learn from the Bud Lite fiasco. This is all the more true looking at their average, targeted customer.

I think my CB-1100 will last to the end of my biking days.

Posts: 6435 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Recently, I saw two motorcycle club riders on the highway. They looked like typical members with their vest and the rest of their outfit. One was on a Harley, the other was on a Gold Wing. Times are changing!

Posts: 3251 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Younger people barely drive/not sure an HD would be the right bike for urban living/they are now priced against cars.

B) HD probably makes a bunch of its profits off t shirts etc.

C) They don’t maintain their own image well - eg, how much HD apparel is made in the U.S.?

D) They tied themselves to a particular image - HD’s image is pretty much “Degenerate/person who enjoys pretending to be a degenerate.” (The South Park episode about HD is probably the best description of how the HD crowd is viewed by people under 50)

If they wanted to change to a ‘Murica image, every HD product has to be US made/marketed as promoting freedom by being made elsewhere
E) GenX, etc had their kids much later. I’m 44 - should be the prime age for marketing a motorcycle - but I have a baby due in a few months. I, probably, will not have an older “responsibility free” period in my life, until I’m too old for most activities.

Posts: 5942 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
At least the Village People's Motorcycle Cop can get a gig now when the singing days are over.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
They tied themselves to a particular image - HD’s image is pretty much “Degenerate/person who enjoys pretending to be a degenerate.”

I call it the "dress like a pirate" group. Razz

For a lot a Harley riders it's all about the image and nothing else. Some can barely ride in a straight line, and when we get the occasional long-time Harley rider come through a Basic Rider Course most find it to be a humbling experience.

Tight turns from a stop? U-turns in a restricted space? Swerving to avoid an obsticle? Some who have been "riding for 30+ years" struggle greatly to do these basic manuvers. But at least they look tough with their black leather vest, half-helmet with the tough/raunchy stickers, the bandanas, spikes, skulls, etc. Roll Eyes

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6781 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I wonder how proudly those with HD tattoos are displaying them now…and that also goes for any other corporate logo tattoo now they want to disassociate from. I always thought it was strange and foolish to permanently mark one’s body with similar tattoos.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1222 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
HD did it to themselves. I'll never own one. Every experience I've had with either the dealer or the bikes themselves has been sub par

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3628 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
One would think they could easily learn from the Bud Lite fiasco. This is all the more true looking at their average, targeted customer.

This Bud's for You!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24683 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4012 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good.

These businesses are slowly learning they need to just shut up and make money. Their focus should be exclusively on growing and improving their business, not preaching or supporting personal crusades or effecting social change or whatever.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post