SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about appliance repair: Can I trust Sears Parts Direct? Repair the Kenmore Elite, or buy a new Frigidaire?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about appliance repair: Can I trust Sears Parts Direct? Repair the Kenmore Elite, or buy a new Frigidaire? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
We have a rental home that has a Kenmore Elite induction range, model no. 790-45013101. If I go to the Sears parts website (searspartsdirect.com) the part I want, a range and oven control board, is listed as not available and no substitute available. I called and talked to two different (Indian-accented) guys, Kevin and Dale or something :-), and both insisted that the part I need is No. 316577037 and that this will definitely work. But on the website that part is listed as being for a dual-fuel (gas stove-top, electric oven I think) range.
The appliance repair people will install it but can't guarantee it will work.
Cost of repair parts and install probably $500.
A replacement Frigidaire induction range is about $1300 at HD.
Both would be available in about the same date range, 5/19-20, so availability is not a problem (amazingly enough).

Do I take a chance with the Sears Parts guys I talked to on the phone (one of whom I had to explain that an induction stove is in fact a form of electric stove), or pay the money and get the new Frigidaire?
Mind, if anything else goes wrong on the Kenmore Elite, it's probably toast anyway given the demise of Sears.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the new stove. I think I have spoken with Kevin in the past about a computer issue. LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out Ebay or Craigslist ~ just in case that model is for sale either for replacement or for parts?
Otherwise I would cross check the recommended part for compatibility.
It might work and if it is compatible then that would be the best bet and/or make sure it can be returned if not workable and/or the repairman won't double down on charges if it won't work.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
We used their parts direct site. Got our part too, only 8 months later. Granted, this was a French door fridge flapper door piece, and we ended up with 4 of them because there are three or four sites all tied to Sears Parts direct.

That being said, apparently getting fridge parts from China is SUCH a pain in the butt, we sold two of the $90 parts on eBay for $200ea, and I kept the other as a hot spare. The louvre piece, as it turns out, is pretty critical to keeping your fridge below whatever your house temp is.

YMMV

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I've used sears parts direct no problems. I have used their part numbers to find some of there discontinued parts or a better price.

Try searching your part number.

https://applianceparts365.com/...oller-part-316577037

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, but seems like the correct part is:

https://www.appliancepartspros...-9010-ap5650752.html

https://www.appliancepartspros...ore-79045013101.html

The part that chip and dale recommended doesn't seem right since your model number doesn't appear on the compatibility list for the part:

https://www.appliancepartspros...77037-ap5184571.html

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Have you checked out Ebay or Craigslist ~ just in case that model is for sale either for replacement or for parts?
This right here! My washer, a true Kenmore, is circa Nov. 1995 and still runs great except a couple of knobs broke inside the switch itself. One or two of them were no longer available, so I searched and got the correct replacements on eBay. Works like a charm!!! And CHEAP to boot!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help, gentlemen.
I think I'll go with the Sears part already ordered, if it doesn't work and the stove goes tits up I will demand a refund and get the Frigidaire.
I await other opinions, however, particularly humorous ones.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please post your outcome. Thanks

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Personally not a big fan of the Frigidaire stuff that came in our house.

Microwave had been replaced once before we moved in.
Fridge died after about 7 years, while our KitchenAid is still going strong after 12 years.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kenmore never made anything.

They have other companies make it and slap their logo on it.

790 is a WCI, Frigidaire

My 40-year-old washer and dryer were made by whirlpool. It was still working when the guys bringing my new one asked if they could keep it.

I said yes.

Here is a link to cross-reference who made it.

It may not be up to date but is a place to start.

Usually, the first three numbers tell the manufacturer.

https://www.appliancefactorypa...-or-sears-appliance/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post