SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you reading, Sig Forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading, Sig Forum? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I've been reading "The Bible", by God. It's a different kind of reading, really, so a few chapters a week is enough to get you thinking.

H&K-Guy

I am reading the Bible(King James Study Bible second edition) on the 3 year plan, reading all the annotations, footnotes and references and trying to absorb as much as possible.

The 1611 King James is pretty rough going, if you're reading it through. I might suggest you also try some other accurate translations that are in modern English.

I am using The American Standard Version, The Bible in Living English, King James, The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, and the New World Translation.

It's kind of nice to have a few translations, just for reference.

If you do it right, you can go through about four chapters a day. Including time spent to meditate on what you are reading, you can finish in just over a year. But this is not a race. The three year plan is just fine.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I've been reading "The Bible", by God. It's a different kind of reading, really, so a few chapters a week is enough to get you thinking.

H&K-Guy

I am reading the Bible(King James Study Bible second edition) on the 3 year plan, reading all the annotations, footnotes and references and trying to absorb as much as possible.

The 1611 King James is pretty rough going, if you're reading it through. I might suggest you also try some other accurate translations that are in modern English.

I am using The American Standard Version, The Bible in Living English, King James, The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, and the New World Translation.

It's kind of nice to have a few translations, just for reference.

If you do it right, you can go through about four chapters a day. Including time spent to meditate on what you are reading, you can finish in just over a year. But this is not a race. The three year plan is just fine.

H&K-Guy
The Phillips translation of the Gospels is also a good read.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
My current fixation are books about North Korea; the level of hoodwinkery perpetrated by the government on it's citizens is truly astounding.

I just finished The Girl with Seven Names, Escape from North Korea by Hyeonseo Lee minutes ago. Incredible account.

Finished Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield for the second time a couple weeks back. Cannot believe it took me so long to buy it!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The First Infantry Division and the U.S. Army Transformed: Road to Victory in Desert Storm, 1970-1991 (The American Military Experience) by Gregor Fontenot.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
last two books my dad sent me but I haven't started yet are:

The Big Burn, Timothy Egan
and
The Wright Brothers, David McCullough

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Father's Day gift, "Killers of the Flower Moon; The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI."

I'm only 50 pages into it, but it gives every indication of being an incredible story. As the inside cover summary says, "In the 1920s, the richest people per capital in the world were members of the Osage Indian Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, they rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.

Then one by one, the Osage began to be killed off...."

Posts: 13567 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I'm reading "The Operator" By Rob O'Neil (the guy that pulled the trigger on OBL), I just took a break from The Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson. Next up is Milo's new book "Dangerous"

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
trying to finish up this one:

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I haven't read them in a couple decades and came across a two book single hardcover of George Orwell's "Animal Farm" and "1984". Since they are no longer part of the reading lists my high school age daughters have been given, once I'm done with it, I'm going to have them read it and discuss them with them. One is a REALLY avid reader and the other one enjoys reading but at a more casual pace. Looking forward to sharing and discussing these with them.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

H&K-Guy

I highly recommend The Logos Bible Study as study material. Not related to the Logos Bible Software.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6133 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll check The Logos Bible Study out. I'll also give the Phillips a look-see.

I tend to stay closer to the Tyndale and Wycliffe based stuff, though.

But the ones I mentioned earlier should be good enough for anyone to get a start on.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crossing the Tiber by Steve Ray

Why We're Catholic by Trent Horn

And fiction is Use of Force by Brad Thor.

Posts: 552 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
The Beatles by Bob Spitz.

In the space of six months, The Beatles went from being unable to get a record deal to being the biggest thing in European music.

Eighteen months after that they conquered the States.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
At the moment, SIGforum.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Camino Island- John Grisham

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1992 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I'm reading "The Operator" By Rob O'Neil (the guy that pulled the trigger on OBL)

Excellent book. I just finished this a couple of weeks ago.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Currently listening to Devil's Due, the Destroyermen, by Taylor Anderson. A decent series, science fiction/fantasy. Alternate reality, USS Walker from WW2 got sucked into, interesting premise.
My favorites, though, are the books from Jack Campbell, the Lost Fleet series, segueing into the Lost Stars series. And Starkes War, by him as well. I really like using Audible, can listen on the drive to and from work, as well as while I'm mowing, as it's a 2 hr process for the mowing, ha. If you like sci-fi fantasy, and military subjects, they are good reads.
I'm a bit eclectic, like many subjects, but fantasy is my favorite genre.

Posts: 1148 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I've picked up this good friend. Sunday morning on the deck with coffee, cigar, and Puzo's The Godfather.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quantum Enigma by Rosenblum and Cutner.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
Home by Harlan Coben and a bit of history to ready myself for a night of Dunkirk at the theater.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post