SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest airlines 737 hits a man on the runway during landing
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest airlines 737 hits a man on the runway during landing Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
If you have not read the story, here is the link;

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jet...lands-065353674.html

My question, is it possible for a human body to damage a plane that much? What speed does a 737 touch down at, 120mph or so?

There is obviously a huge dent on the leading edge. And it is hard to tell from the picture, but is the aluminum separated towards the bottom? Maybe something (clothing?) is stuck in the separation?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like shredded clothing and dripping tissue.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
My question, is it possible for a human body to damage a plane that much? What speed does a 737 touch down at, 120mph or so?

Deer lighter than humans can do major damage to a typical vehicle on the road.

Figure an avg American human male, at 170-220lbs, plane lands around 150-160 knots/180 mph, rapidly decelerates and hits said human...sure, that damage is very plausible. That worker is likely in pieces given how violent the impact along the engine cowling.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Other than the obvious dent, I think the lighting/shadows might be making it look worse than it is.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a friend who has property that borders the SE side of OIA. The airport authority is starting to really worry about the feral hog population in the area fearing a 200/300 pound hog is going to make it onto one of the runways and damage a plane on landing or take off (apparently not enough though to let us hunt the area). As such, I would imagine a person might be able to do enough damage to place a plane at risk.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of FL pigs took out an F-16 back in 1988.

https://apnews.com/2b0b95d48dbf308f824745cc74ec2f2e

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
How the heck did someone actually get on the runway? I thought that was just about impossible nowadays.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm glad no one no one on board was hurt.

The plane taxied to a gate, everybody got off and no one on board was hurt, Southwest said. The plane was carrying 53 passengers and five crew members.

Was it a suicide?

Austin police told the station the dead person wasn't dressed as an airport worker and didn't have any identification.

The FAA said it would assist Austin police in the investigation of the incident.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
I have a friend who has property that borders the SE side of OIA. The airport authority is starting to really worry about the feral hog population in the area fearing a 200/300 pound hog is going to make it onto one of the runways and damage a plane on landing or take off (apparently not enough though to let us hunt the area). As such, I would imagine a person might be able to do enough damage to place a plane at risk.

so we might see some flying pigs at OIA....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The linked article states that this happened at 8:12 pm. That would be after sunset, so that explains why the control tower operators might not have seen the pedestrian, and why the pilots of the 737 might not have seen him until too late to avoid.

Other questions are open though, how did this person slip through security and get to the runway area? Who is he, and why was he not carrying any identification?

I have had a couple of adrenaline moments landing at night, once with a deer that decided to cross the runway just as I touched down, another time with horses that I did not see until I had descended to maybe 20' above the runway, but both of these were at rural airports with no control towers, and no security of any kind.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

...Other questions are open though, how did this person slip through security and get to the runway area? Who is he, and why was he not carrying any identification?...

This airport was originally Bergstrom AFB, closed under BRAC 25+ years ago and converted into the city/regional jetport. There's probably a fence around the entire base perimeter, but it's possible the runways within are not fenced 100%.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KAUS

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

What speed does a 737 touch down at, 120mph or so?
Touchdown speed varies, faster at higher weights. These days, with light loads, it might be around 130 knots (150 mph) indicated air speed. Subtract the headwind component to get ground speed, so for example, with a 12 knot surface wind blowing right down the runway, ground speed at touchdown, before braking and reverse thrust, might be right around 135 mph.

Think about the tires, spinning up to that speed almost instantaneously. No wonder that a tire for the V-Tail goes for three hundred bucks or so. I have no idea what a tire for a 737 costs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maybe the pedestrian saw Pushing Tin and wanted to try this:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfb_usoubg

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Tough way to catch a flight!

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
At ~150 knots it may as well be a sack of wet concrete.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
This is completely unacceptable. The government needs to stop all air flights until the airlines can prove this can never happen again.

If it saves just one life...

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
This is completely unacceptable. The government needs to stop all air flights until the airlines can prove this can never happen again.

If it saves just one life...

Governor Cuomo, nice to see you on Sig Forum!

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
737 coming out of the sky
Won't you take me down to Memphis on a midnight ride
I want to move, yeah

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Austin’s homeless population is like around the airport?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's over in a shit area, that old Airport, on the very edge of Austin in my mind.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post