SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slow tire leak and then stops
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slow tire leak and then stops Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks - is there a recommended way for the shop to troubleshoot this so that they actually find the cause?
Fill it up, dunk it in a tub of water, look for a thin stream of bubbles. That's the only way of which I'm aware.
Doesn't always work. Sometimes the tire needs to "flex" to have the leak.
I know. But he asked how troubleshooting was done. That's how it's done.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We had a bead leak. Would go from 38 to 27 psi in about 3 days and then stay there. The shop dismounted the tire, cleaned the rim and remounted. No problem since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The shop replaced the valve stem core (looks like a little pin); filled the tire to spec. I watched it carefully for 2 weeks, drove it around a bit as well.

For about 12 days, the tire held pressure. I thought all was good. Then, between day 12 and day 14, it lost 4psi (about 10% of the cold tire pressure).

Sigh. I wonder if they will remove the tire and put something on - just to test if it's the tire or the wheel. Is it the tire? The tire side of the bead? The rim side of the bead? The valve stem?

I'm now looking for a used rim so I can try the tire on it. I'm at a loss. Never had this type of problem before.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Every time you put a pressure gauge on it you lose a bit of air. Maybe you need the whole valve stem replaced and/or the rim cleaned up.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I was monitoring using TPMS, not pressure gauge.

Yea, I suggested that and they sounded like they took off the tire and inspected. But may be need to take another closer look. Need to somehow start eliminating sources and narrow down - tire, rim or valve.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always swap tires between a non-leaking wheel and the leaker. That’ll either condemn or exonerate the tire.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can always swap tires between a non-leaking wheel and the leaker. That’ll either condemn or exonerate the tire.

Good idea. Maybe I'll suggest that.

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We remove the tire from the rim and visually inspect the inside of the tire for a puncture. Then we clean the rim and apply a bead sealer before reassembling. You’d be surprised how often there’s a puncture that doesn’t show up in the tank.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very slow leak due to corrosion. Tire shop DA’d the inner rims all was fixed, corrosion, never thought of it.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I had 2 leaks following new tires and TPMS change from Costco. Spare tire leaked completely within a day, the other is always a few pounds lower than the rest whenever I check the pressures. From the tech who fixed it said whoever mounted the new TPMS, somehow didn't properly seat the seals.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I can't tell where you live, but sometimes temperature drops will cause the wheels to contract just a bit and they will leak. First time the temp went down to single digits this year, all 3 cars here showed at least one low tire. As has been mentioned, overtime the wheels corrode and leak.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Evaluating options still. I think this wheel was originally the spare that sat under the vehicle since new (let's say 15 years; I think it had the original tire on it).

If I find a used wheel (craigslist and/or auto dismantler), is it generally okay to buy? Or are the condition of these wheels generally problematic? I have no idea how to check if the condition is good or not.

I think a new wheel from the dealer is about $800. Would a used wheel around $500-600 be good? Or too risky - just buy new from dealer?

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Clean and reseal yours first before you go shopping. $20-25 and I bet your problem is solved. Wish you were close, I’d fix it for you.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My truck had a slow leak. Fill to 35psi, couple of days later, down about 5psi. Replaced the valve core, no Bueno. Soapy water spray, no Bueno. Tire shop, submerged in water, no leak seen. Good kud dismounted the tire from the rim, didn't see anything. Used his hand on the indide and found a brad sticking the the tire. It was only leaking when in a certain position.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Next steps as suggested:

1. request and pay as needed to clean / remount. request tactile inspection as well (they have already down the leak tests and visual inspection).

2. swap tires w/ known good wheel.

3. purchase new wheel if needed.