SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slow tire leak and then stops
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slow tire leak and then stops Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a slow tire leak; I fill to the recommended cold pressure and then it leaks over time (days, not sure how long) and loses about 20% of pressure and then stops leaking. It seems to hold this level of pressure for longer periods. Other tires are fine.

The tire shop said the valve stem was lose and tightened it down. But that's now been done a few times and it's still leaking. What get's me is that the tire pressure seems to stabilize at some point.

I'm not sure if the valve stem is the original or if they replaced it when I bought the tires. It's about 15 years old if original; about 3 years old if replaced w/ the tire.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about having the shop rotate in the good wheel (5 wheel rotation - AWD truck) and take the bad wheel off to troubleshoot.

If valve stem, should I replace w/ factor OEM (denso?) or just whatever the tire shop carries (it's all the same)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
15 yr Alloy rims can leak at the bead - Best to let them test it again - I had one like that and I that never got fixed -

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Okay, I’m going to have them rotate the good tire back in. I’ll pull the other one for now and take it to get checked when I have more time.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had a tire doing that on the Jeep. Turned out it was a leak around the valve stem due to corrosion. They sealed it up and it stopped doing it. They warned me it was only a matter of time before another started doing the same--or I started getting rim leaks for the same reason.

Sure enough: Eventually one of the other tires started doing the same.

Finally had all the wheels replaced last fall when I had new tires put on.

Ironically: One of the old tires had a nail in it. That was not the one losing air either time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have seen tires that leaked only when parked with tire in a certain part of its rotation. A small leak that only opens up some times.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Jiminy. I hope I don't have to replace all wheels. That would be very expensive.

I try to do a good thing - AWD 5 wheel rotation. I put a tire on the spare that had probably been sitting under the truck since new (I think still had original factory tire) and put it into rotation as recommended.

Been annoying ever since. Smile

It's a good thing and I know it's the right thing to be doing. Just wish I wasn't having this issue.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wheel corrosion would be my guess.
My 2014 Tundra wheels have started to corrode. One is pretty bad. Won’t go flat or too low to drive safely but am filling it up every few days.
With temps around 0 for the last week it has been even worse.

You can have them lightly sand the corrosion around the bead area and that should help.

My Silverado was real bad and I needed tires. Thankfully take off Silverado wheels are a dime a dozen on FB. $500 for brand new wheels and tires and sold the old ones for $100.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks - is there a recommended way for the shop to troubleshoot this so that they actually find the cause? Or is it gonna be trial and error? I assume this is not an unusual problem - they will just address the most common issues for something like this and go from there?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks - is there a recommended way for the shop to troubleshoot this so that they actually find the cause?
Fill it up, dunk it in a tub of water, look for a thin stream of bubbles. That's the only way of which I'm aware.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a set of styled steel factory wheels on a Mercury Cougar back in the day. We sanded the bead area down and applied s skim coat of clear silicone. All four wheels held air for at least 6 years when I sold the car.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Fill it up, dunk it in a tub of water, look for a thin stream of bubbles. That's the only way of which I'm aware.[/QUOTE]

This. Put 60 PSI of air into it and then submerge it.
I used to work at a service station and fixed hundreds of tires.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My Grand Prix had alloy wheels and gave me the same problem you described.

After the dunk in the water test, the tire tech dismounted the tire and showed me some light discoloration/whatever it was along the wheel rim where the tire seals to the rim.

He cleaned it off with a wire brush, wiped it with acetone, let it dry, then applied some of what he called "bead sealer" with a brush, let it dry, remounted the tire, and it was fine for many years after that.

I don't live where road salt for snow and ice is a routine just about everyday use to clear the roads. That stuff rusts out cars like crazy. I don't think you do either.

The other thing I've had happen was valve stem air leakage. Either the valve stem is bad where it seals to the rim or is cracked somewhere, or the valve stem core is not tight and is leaking. Everybody should own a $3.00 Valve Stem Core tool, it just screws in and out the valve stem core. You can just make sure it's tight yourself. You can get any spray bottle and fill it with a soapy water solution, spray it, and see if you can find air coming out. Sometimes the leaks are bad enough to see, sometimes the leak is so small and slow you won't see it that way.

If I were you, I'd take it to a well reputable tire shop and have them pull the wheel off the car, dunk it for observation. Then pull the tire off the wheel to inspect the meeting surface. And have the valve stem replaced with a new one. (Rebalancing the tire/wheel at this time is a really good idea)

Best wishes to you, good luck.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've run over nails and the head wears of quickly and the end is very hard to see if it's in just the right spot.
The resulting leak was also very slow.
I'd do the submerge and look for bubbles test and maybe even have the tire dismounted so you can look inside.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had an old beater Tundra that somebody had put aftermarket chrome plated wheels on. One day I went to go someplace only to find the right front tire flat. I figured I had picked up a nail or something. Called AAA to come out and change the tire for me, then a couple days later took it to the tire store. No nail. Nothing wrong with the tire at all. THey said the chrome plating on the wheel tends to corrode over time, and eventually the corrosion built to the point that the bead broke and the tire went flat.

They took all four tires off of the wheels, cleaned up the corrosion around the beads, remounted the tires, and didn't charge me a dime. Even so I never completely trusted them after that, and a few months later (before starting a 3000 mile road trip) replaced all four wheels with new aluminum ones. Then wound up selling the truck a few months after that, for other reasons.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Be glad it is a slow leak! This got me in the company car a couple weeks ago doing about 90 in quite the downpour headed to a house fire.
Luckily it was the rear and I was able to control it.
If it was in the front would have been a different ball game.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Often the rim leaks are too slow to see a stream of bubbles in a tank. Spray around the rim with a concentrated soap solution. 409 or something like that. Watered down dish soap works well too. Then wait for a foamy area to appear. This works best with tire laying flat on the floor. Remember to check both sides of the rim.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
This or a spray bottle with a light soapy mix.

I had something similar that turned out to be a very small shard of metal that was not easy to find with the naked eye. It would drop tire pressure until internal pressure dropped low enough that it couldn’t force its way out anymore.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I filled it to recommended pressure. I’ll check it daily to see how fast it’s leaking. Then I’ll have the shop swap it out.

I’ll try to figure out where it’s leaking and then have the shop fix it. I’ll check both beads and the valve stem.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks - is there a recommended way for the shop to troubleshoot this so that they actually find the cause?
Fill it up, dunk it in a tub of water, look for a thin stream of bubbles. That's the only way of which I'm aware.

Doesn't always work. Sometimes the tire needs to "flex" to have the leak. Had a slow leak in one of my tires (~1 month for idiot light to come on) brought it in to shop, did entire tire with spray bottle with soap, nothing, completely submerged in water, no bubbles.

Wound up pulling tire, polishing bead and remounting tire. Has held now for ~6 months with no issue.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Thx.