SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about electric mowers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about electric mowers Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I want to pick up an electric lawn mower later this year when the season is over and things go on sale. Looking for a mulcher so no bagging. It's a very small yard so it doesn't have a heavy work load to do. I would guess you can mow my whole yard in 15 minutes with a small mower.

What brands does everyone here use? How do they perform?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Black and Decker plug in model and a Works that runs of of batteries. Both were cheap but lasted quite a while. (The works is still going strong after four years) I would strongly recommend battery operated. Watching out for the cord was a major pain. The big advantage is how light they are. Our yard is in three tiers and dragging a gas powered mower up and down steps was a major pain.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-mowers

Neighbor has one, cuts nice, quiet, I have their blower and edger, they work great, lots of power, long run times.

You can get at Home Depot, online etc...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have a Greenworks 20 inch. Its corded, but for a small yard I don't find it a problem. Does a very nice job, and it can do mulching or bag, whichever you like. Wasn't very expensive, found it on Amazon.
Currently on sale, too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZVOLXE

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I will either be buying the Snapper or Echo electric mower next season.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have the Ryobi 40v. My yard sounds close to your size. I also have the hedge trimmer, string trimmer, and chainsaw. All do the job, price was right. I'll prolly get the leaf blower next. Homeowner grade sure, but I've got a lot of work out of them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Ego, very happy with it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's a thread on electric mowers from a few weeks ago: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1380022744

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely advise getting an electric mower in your case. I've had a B&D CM1000 for 21 years now. Batteries are finally getting close to eol - maybe another season for them, but I'm good at babying Acid-lead batteries in general.

I used to do front and back yard at same time on same charge. Now I split it. Front is about 15 minutes back is about 20 minutes tops.

Many more options out there today than 20 years ago - especially cordless (mine is cordless and I paid about 500 or so for it 21 years ago).

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1688 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my GreenWorks 20'' for 5 years now. Still works great. I have the cordless model and the only problem I have had was one of the two batteries not taking a charge after the first year of use. It was replaced under warranty and all has been good since then.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I have a Stihl and like it. I can use the same battery for trimmer, blower and mower.

Takes about 35 minutes to mow and 15 to trim, a few minutes to blow off sidewalk and driveway. I can do all that without recharging the battery.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I have the tiny 16” Greenworks 40v model. Used to use a 22” (I think) Toro gas.

I couldn’t be happier. I chose the small deck because I have a small yard... 15 minutes to give it a once over with the 16”. I love that the mower handle easily folds up on top of the deck and I can simply grab a carry handle and carry the entire unit off and put it on a shelf. Very light and easy to store.

But it cuts and picks up cuttings better than my big Toro ever did. I think it mulches too but I’ve never tried.

I’ve also got a blower and a weed whacker of the same platform. One battery charge is plenty to edge the yard (edger attachment on the weed whacker), weed whack around the tree and in the corners, mow it all, and then blow away the remnants that didn’t get picked up.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Ryobi for 2 years it has the 20" deck. It does a great job and is so light compared to the gas mower I had I can get the yard done faster. I also have the hedge clipper and chainsaw as well as the pole saw. They all use the same 40V battery. I have 4 battery packs that lets me do a lot around the yard all year long.
I picked mine up at Home Depot and still see em there.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
I've been using a Ryobi for 2 years it has the 20" deck. It does a great job and is so light compared to the gas mower I had I can get the yard done faster. I also have the hedge clipper and chainsaw as well as the pole saw. They all use the same 40V battery. I have 4 battery packs that lets me do a lot around the yard all year long.
I picked mine up at Home Depot and still see em there.

This...I have switched over to all Ryobi and recommend them. Have had no issues and all tools still running strong. I mow 3,300 SF of grass and I can do it on one battery and still have juice left over. The Ryobi mowers can be found at Home Depot for around 250/300 depending on time of year.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1381 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by james_1234:
I have a Stihl and like it. I can use the same battery for trimmer, blower and mower.

Takes about 35 minutes to mow and 15 to trim, a few minutes to blow off sidewalk and driveway. I can do all that without recharging the battery.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a battery powered pole saw? Been considering one of those lately.

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Ryobi 40v tools as well. Mower, trimmer, and the baby 12" chainsaw. Chainsaw is most impressive, for just a 'lil thing it punches above it's weight class and battery lasts a very long time.

I have the 5 amp battery that came with the mower, a 2.5A came with trimmer and got the saw w/o battery for just $89.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post