SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric (Cordless) Lawnmowers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric (Cordless) Lawnmowers Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
The other thread about lawn mowers made me think of what I'd like to do next year as I plan to replace my old mower and like the idea of not having to deal with gas, oil, tune-ups and all that with a gas mower.

Are these new cordless electric mowers really worth it now? I read lots of good reviews but the primary complaint other than batteries not lasting long enough to finish a larger lawn is that many of these just don't seem to have that "UMPH" that gas engine mowers have.

What do you all think? Electric next year or just stick with the good old fashioned gas?

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I would say it depends on the size of your yard. I would also weigh the cost of replacement batteries as there is a limit to the number of times they can be recharged.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I would say it depends on the size of your yard. I would also weigh the cost of replacement batteries as there is a limit to the number of times they can be recharged.
This.

Don't want to be stuck waiting on a charge when the sun is shining and you are only halfway done with the yard.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has had one for about a year. He hates it, but is determined to keep using it until the wheels fall off, rather than shelling out for another new gas mower.

Weak, small charge, takes a while to recharge, etc. All the usual complaints about electric mowers.

I haven't bothered to ask the brand, but based on a quick Google Images perusal, I want to say it's probably a Neuton.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
For very small yards that aren’t thick and don’t grow fast they’re great. If the grass is thick then you’ll need to mow frequently to keep it under control or the power becomes an issue. How long does it take to mow now with a gas unit?

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ry...-RY40180-Y/304597920

I like it, it gets used quite heavy during the summer months here as it rains a lot and the grass grows really quick and thick.

I do have an additional 5.0 battery for it.

Advantages:

-I can store it upright to save space
-no oil to change
-isn't noisy so I can mow early

Disadvantages:

-weaker than gas mower
-batteries are $125
-takes 3-4 hours to charge a battery

Our yard is relatively small so most of the time (depending on how long I go between mowing), 1 battery will last for the entire yard. At worst I will need <10 minutes with the second battery.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
How long does it take to mow now with a gas unit?

In all, it's a good hour I'd say to mow all my grass.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Stick with a gas mower

Posts: 13747 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Stick with a gas mower

Exactly.

My Honda gas mower, ( while it had a few issues early on ) handles and cuts great, is easy on gas and has very low maintenance needs.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't make the change. Even if it worked out of the box, the reliability over 10 years has got to be less, and I suspect the results not as good either.

Certainly don't be the folks we bought our house from, who had one of these apparently:

Cute idea, other than we have a 3/4 acre yard and our neighbors observed that most times it was sitting run down in the middle of a randomly 25% done yard. Idiots.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ego 56 volt, 20” mower with the steel deck. It has plenty of power and the battery will last long enough to cut our lawn twice. It takes about 20 minutes each time. I haven’t tried to see how long it would last. My wife and son like it because it is easy to use. I’ve only had it since March so I can’t attest to its durability.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I have this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ry...-RY40180-Y/304597920

I like it, it gets used quite heavy during the summer months here as it rains a lot and the grass grows really quick and thick.

I do have an additional 5.0 battery for it.

I have this same unit. I'm happy with it. Unless you're trying to mow a foot or more of grass, it'll do the job just fine. I don't bag, I let it mulch.

I like it because it's quiet, no gas, and I also have the hedge trimmer, string trimmer, and chainsaw. They do all a homeowner could ask.

Unless you have a very large yard, then you'll need more batteries. At ~1 hour of mowing, you're probably a good candidate for the Ryobi.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I went to the EGO systems - chainsaw, trimmer, blower, lawnmower. I have plenty of power and plenty of battery to do my entire yard - though it is a small yard (135 x 90). I like the fact it always runs, is quiet and no more gas/carb issues.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 40v greenworks - I initially purchased it because our 'yard' has about 20sqft that is flat - the other is a very steep grade - so steep that I would slip/fall every freaking time I tried to mow it while walking up/down it.

The greenworks is really light - I think it's only a 16" (plastic) cutting deck though. I can stand at the bottom of the bank and push it up to nearly the top and then I can get the rest by standing on the top and letting it down/pulling it back up. I can easily mow in one charge - about 15min, but the teenager needs two most days since he's slow.

It is quieter, 10s of lbs lighter and does what we need it to do. If we had anymore grass than we do I don't think it would be worth it since I couldn't finish it on a single charge.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If I were to get a walk behind mower it would be the EGO since I have the trimmer and blower, the batteries last quite a long time, and recharge quickly, get several of their lawn appliances and you'll have plenty of battery power.

The electric edger is every bit as powerful as my old two stroke and it doesn't require fuel mixing, priming, and starting is much easier. Plus it doesn't run emitting exhaust when you walk from area to area, same for the electric blower from EGO which has significant more power than the old gas blower.

I don't miss mixing oil and fuel anymore, and no ethanol issues.

Neighbor has the EGO push mower and seems to like it, quiet, and does his whole lawn.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Greenwo...0/dp/B019VXKUDI?th=1
I have this one and it does the job on 1/3 acre, any more or thicker grass and it would need a 2nd battery. The battery does charge in about 40 minutes.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Lowes has an 80V one that is supposed to be a beast. Check it out. I'm still rocking a 5 year old Troy Built with B&S engine. Nothing done to it other than replacing the spark plug and filters. Cranks up 1st to 2nd try every time.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucy likes hers but she is old and slow, her yard is only about 800-1000 sq. feet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54703 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
When we built a house last year on a smaller lot (70x125), I immediately ditched the old gas mower and went with the EGO mower, trimmer, and blower. Everything is quiet, does it's job well and the batteries are interchangeable. Recharging doesn't take long and the batteries last quite a while - more than enough to do the entire yard. I'm very happy not dealing with gas, oil, spark plugs, etc.

Posts: 566 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
After wasting an hour trying to start my commercial Honda just now I am ready to go electric. So frustrating.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5068 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post