SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My recent land border crossing to Canada - 2nd Amendment & Don’t Tread On Me grill emblems
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My recent land border crossing to Canada - 2nd Amendment & Don’t Tread On Me grill emblems Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Got your email and responded. Thanks again. At least I have a year to figure it all out.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Best advice I can give is to do your own research through reputable sources.

Things have changed a lot since I moved here 6 years ago. Handguns now are now flat out forbidden to bring into the country.

They don't make it easy...

I found an updated version of the web page that states contacting the province you'll be transporting through:

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/...horization-transport

Hope it helps.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Canada has a pathological aversion to all things guns. Even the military is afraid to be good at something.

They barely trust the RCMP with guns given their ability to shoot at their own or pick the wrong building and riddle it with bullets before finding out who is inside.

They make the Keystone Cops look like a highly professional and well organized operation.

Be very careful going in to Canada with a weapon.

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It appears you can get a Canadian Firearm Possession And Acquisition license as a non-resident, in lieu of some of the other paperwork. The kicker is, it looks like you have to go take the Canadian firearms safety course in person. I'm kinda tempted to drive up to Windsor and do that, just because I'm curious what it entails.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it's usually a mixture of curiosity and disbelief AND an attempt to be thorough. Asking about what types and calibers is important to them because they have different classifications of firearms and different permits based on what class the firearm is in. The laws are so different between here and there, they might as well be asking you about what kind and color of LEGO you have. "We only let you have DUPLO here. Do you have LEGO in the States? Oh, okay. The regular ones or TECHNIC?".

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last time I crossed the border was about a month before 9/11. Rode my Harley. Never again on a motorcycle and probably never again period. Let’s just say neither side of the border was welcoming.

In all fairness this was during the time that there were some M/C’s trying to establish dominance in Canada but it was pretty obvious I wasn’t part of it. No club colors/patches, no support gear,one bike, just a husband and wife out for lunch and a couple hour ride around.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel you answered correctly overall but agree having indications of gun ownership likely caused the search. I have only been to Canada twice and Mexico once but on one trip to CA and the one to MX I saw vehicles in the extra search areas with more of the insides of the motor home there lying on the ground outside than could have been left inside. Don't know what authorities were looking for and didn't ask.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2935 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there once(passing through for an Alaskan cruise. The Canuck border agents were very rude and condescending. Don’t give a shit if I ever go back there. The world is a big place.

Posts: 134 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crossed into Canada about two years ago (to visit Winnipeg) from North Dakota while visiting our son in Grand Forks, ND. Other than Texas license plates and our documents, nothing to id us as gun owners, etc, I did get a “when was the last time you had a gun in your vehicle“ query at entry. Slightly embarrassed at the span of time I accurately answered…. Roll Eyes

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1547 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
And through all this, it's still not apparent what the efficacy is. It's not likely that the illicit transportation, importation and use of weapons are being perpetrated by law abiding, legal gun owners who may happen to advertise such on vehicle stickers.

More likely, anything truly illicit would be perpetrated by those who attempt to obfuscate.

Relevance and efficacy just seems lost in these policies and actions.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...st-arrests-1.7176041

Investigators eventually identified the driver as Durante King-Mclean, 25, according to Mavity.

King-Mclean is currently in police custody in the U.S. after he was arrested during a September traffic stop in rural Pennsylvania, Mavity said. Officers found 65 firearms in his rental car, including two that had been modified to be fully automatic and five untraceable "ghost guns" with no serial numbers, Peel police said in a news release about the arrests.

Mavity and the ATF allege the guns were bound for Canada.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 212 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
More likely, anything truly illicit would be perpetrated by those who attempt to obfuscate.

Deliberate nefarious attempts obviously occur, but they are undoubtedly a tiny fraction of the times it’s “I don’t care what their oppressive laws are, I’m not going anywhere without my gun,” or even more commonly, ignorance of the foreign law or simply forgetting. How many times have we heard about people attempting to take prohibited items onto aircraft because they weren’t thinking? And the person with an NRA sticker on his car is far more likely to have a gun that he’s not thinking about than some random person—or at least it will be assumed so.

Regardless of what they call it, police everywhere “profile” the people they contact, even if it’s for no better reason that they don’t like what’s signified by the outward signs. “Guns are evil, people who own guns are evil, NRA members own guns = You’re an NRA member and even if you don’t have a gun now, you’re evil and I’m going to demonstrate my disapproval of you and your evil ways.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I made the decision a long time ago to just simply not leave this country.

That's my take on things as well unless we're going to war to invade someone, I'm not leaving this country.

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
This post is kinda ironic, as I live right on the border with a major crossing into Canada. Some weekend days during the summer, there is a line up approx one mile long to get over there. I would guess 95% of the folks are going fishing. I can honestly say, it has been approx 15 years or more since I have been over there. Different country, rules, attitudes, and so on. Too many more beautiful spots to check out on "our side" and spend money on. At this point, my fear is them finding a stray bullet or something off the wall in my truck, then ending up on the news, lol.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2541 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago, my wife and I were on a small ship cruise in the Puget Sound. Because the cruise line (American Cruise Lines) is limited to only American ports (on American built cruise ships, crewed completely by Americans -- great company), the optional excursion to Victoria, BC was by a fast ferry from Port Angeles, WA. We were told to be sure to bring our passports. We were processed by CBP in Victoria at the ferry terminal. Perhaps it was because we were there as a group and had no luggage, but there was just a brief look/scan at my passport, and a question of if I was staying beyond that day. Otherwise it was "enjoy your visit". It was very quick and professional. The return to Port Angeles, WA through CBP was equally as quick.

Posts: 671 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I would not have answered those questions. I also wouldn’t have those bumper stickers, but maybe that’s just me.

And you would have been sitting there in the little room for 24 hours. Best to answer their questions if you aren't doing anything illegal.

Posts: 21406 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
OP: I travel international all the time. I think you answered those questions perfectly. Polite, concise.. that's the way in a foreign country. They're mostly there to move people along, but periodically mildly hassle someone who fits their profile for contraband.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post