SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My recent land border crossing to Canada - 2nd Amendment & Don’t Tread On Me grill emblems
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My recent land border crossing to Canada - 2nd Amendment & Don’t Tread On Me grill emblems Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
We just returned from our 7 day camping trip to Canada in our motorhome. This is our 5th time crossing. Second time being sent to secondary inspection. The very first trip was understandable as we have never been to Canada. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th trips, they just asked basic questions and welcomed us in.

2 weeks ago, we were expecting basic questions, then welcome us back into their country. Not!!!

As we approach the CBP booth, 2 male CBP officers (Indian) started walking towards our RV. I stopped by the booth and handed our US passports to the female CBP officer (female). She asked me standard questions like how much money we are bringing in and if I have any firearms in the RV. I said couple of hundred dollar cash and credit cards. And NO firearm (I know better not to bring in any). As I was talking to the female officer, the 2 male officers were staring on the 2 emblems/badges on my front grill. My guess is they were both trying to read what they say. Then, they asked me to move to secondary inspection area.

Two different CBP officers from the office asked me to empty my pockets and started asking me questions. While this is happening, my wife and dog were waiting outside the building. They later asked her some questions as well.

This was the interview. I was respectful and polite all the time.

Officer: Do you have CCW permit in the US?
Me: Yes officer.
O: when was the last time you carried your weapon?
M: The day before we left for the trip.
O: You carried yesterday?
M: No officer. I last carried a week ago. We have been on the road for a week now.
O: What do you carry? 9mm, 45???
M: Mostly 9mm
O: How many firearms do you own?
M: I don’t know officer. I don’t remember how many exactly I own.
O: What do you mean you don’t know? I am a gun owner too. And I know exactly how many firearms I own.
M: well officer, for us in America, we can own as many firearms we want. It is guaranteed by our constitution. That is why I honestly don’t know how many I own on the top of my head.
O: Wait here while we check your RV.

Both officers came back after few minutes. Officer said “enjoy you vacation. I left your leatherman tool on the RV dashboard”.

I guess the two emblems I have in the RV freaked out those 2 Canadian-Indian CBP officers and decided to send me to secondary. I have those emblems in the past crossings to Canada. Previous CBP officers had no problem in the pst.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I would not have answered those questions. I also wouldn’t have those bumper stickers, but maybe that’s just me.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The first question would have been answered with something like “That’s not really the Canadian government’s business, is it.”

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15863 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The first question would have been answered with something like “That’s not really the Canadian government’s business, is it.”

More like all of those questions. What a US citizen owns and does in his own country is not Canada’s concern, and I would have no problem telling them exactly that.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
In my head, there were other answers I would love to have said. But they can deny us entry and that will ruin the planed trip, including paid campground and other paid reservations. Had to give them answers that will let us in.

Im just glad to be back in the US soil.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
CBP Officer: 'How many guns do you own?"

Me: "Do you mean by groups like Glock, Sig, Smith and Wesson, or Ruger? Or do you mean by pistols, rifles, or shotguns?" "Sadly, I lost a lot of them in a tragic boat accident."

Posts: 4071 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I would not have answered those questions. I also wouldn’t have those bumper stickers, but maybe that’s just me.

Then you likely would not have gotten into Canada. I have been into the country probably 100+ times now and they're suffocatingly serious.

Posts: 2225 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Why advertise your possible firearms ownership? You are just making a target of yourself. Be a “gray man”, and don’t stand out in a crowd.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2813 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
It’s their country. You know the “your house your rules” mantra oft repeated right here on SF?

I don’t see a problem idiots of every stripe smuggling anything and everything. Probable cause is pretty much anything an officer decides it is.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
You know the “your house your rules” mantra oft repeated right here on SF?

Me going to your house doesn't give you the right to know what I do in the privacy of my own house.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Then you likely would not have gotten into Canada. I have been into the country probably 100+ times now and they're suffocatingly serious.

I used to live five miles from the Canadian border and have been back and forth at least as many times. I spent a lot of time in Cornwall and Ottawa and I've never been asked those questions. Now, it's been a while since I was crossing all the time, but I also didn't have "I own guns" stickers on my car.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder that entering Canada with anything on a vehicle or otherwise indicating that one is an American gun owner can very likely result in much unwelcome attention at the border. It’s also good to understand that when we’re being questioned by a border control agent, we are in their country and subject to their rules and laws. Border agents also usually have few, if any restrictions on what degree of inquiry and inspections they can conduct.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Refusing to answer or giving smart ass answers will likely cause you a very bad day or maybe several of them until the decide to let you go.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4253 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Answer the questions truthfully, succinctly, and professionally.

They’re deciding how thoroughly they are going to search your vehicle and you’re telling them you don’t know how many guns you own, but you know your rights in the USA. I’m sure the Canadian Border Patrol Officers took that into consideration when making their decision.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Though it has been a few years since I've traveled north, my trips to Canada always involved nothing more than, "Welcome! Come on in, eh! Buy you a beer?", and I was on my way. It was usually so quick a crossing, many times I never even came to a complete stop.

Coming back, however, was an entirely different story of being treated like a wanted felon and having my belongings rifled through by OUR Border Patrol. Even once, having everything in my truck taken out and layed out on the road...in the rain, and them saying, "Have a nice day" as they walked off. Mother fuckers. Mad

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Coming back to the US was the opposite for us. Easy and no hassle. US CBP officer just asked how many days we were in Canada. I said “7 days officer”. She asked if Im bringing back any goods. I said “just some souvenir T shirts, magnets and stickers”. CBP officer said “oh the goodies. Welcome back”.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would have politely refused to answer such personal, invasive, and irrelevant questions. Refuse to let me cross, I’ll find the next closest crossing and make a fun detour out of it. Otherwise get a spot to camp, wait a day, and go back during someone else’s shift.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17644 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Once we’re being questioned at a foreign border, simply refusing to answer and turning around to leave their country may not be an option. The agent may decide that one’s demeanor and lack of cooperation warrant taking one’s car apart piece by piece down to last nut and bolt while we ourselves are also examined as carefully. That may vary depending upon their local policies, but a supervisor’s, “Why did you do that?” can easily be answered in many plausible ways.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
About 5-6 years ago I had a somewhere similar experience. I was driving into Canada and was asked if I owned any firearms and then if I had any in my car.

My exchange was fairly quick and included the normal questions I get when entering a foreign country. Where are you going, how long will you be there, and reason for the visit?

I had nothing on my car or clothing that would indicate I was a firearms owner. I always wonder if there is any sharing of info.

That wasn't my first time or last time going to Canada but the only one I was asked firearms questions.

For those of you who say, just refuse to answer, well good luck traveling internationally.

I've had bags randomly searched entering and leaving foreign countries. Hondours will fingerprint you when entering/exiting.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16455 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No friggin way. I don't need to go to Canada that bad. They can ask if I have firearms in the vehicle if transporting them into the country is not allowed. They don't get to ask what type, how many or anything beyond anything in the vehicle.

I'll adhere to their laws, however unrighteous and the guise of house rules. But they don't get to violate my principles and privacy. If it's not need to know, they don't get a response. If they don't allow me in, that's fine, plenty of other places to visit.

It's not acceptable for a gracious guest to be treated like a criminal. If this isn't gonna pass, then Canada gets put on the same list as T&C.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

This!
The CBP have wide ranging authority, (like most other countries) and any kind of BS answer by you can result in you not gaining access.

I have been across the border three times in the past 5 years and have brought a pump action 12 gauge each time. Follow their rules and be respectful and you’ll be alright.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post