SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did you do basic?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did you do basic? Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Lackland AFB Sep - Oct '71

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Ft Leonard Wood, July-September 1969.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Parris Island, 1988
Platoon 1034

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Ft. McClellan, AL. Oct '77 - Feb '78
One Station Unit Training (Basic & AIT combined).

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an old friend from high school who was at Fort Polk. I believe he was sent there for AIT, rather than Basic. One day he’s driving a deuce-and-a-half down a road in the vicinity and sees a sign, “Alligators —->.” Now this is a kid from Nebraska. He’d never seen an alligator before, so he made the turn. Buries the truck in the mud.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
Fort Ord Ca. April 1967 to early June.

Jimbo54
We were at FT Ord at the same time. I was in Advanced Infantry Training & a 2 week LPC course from mid March until end of May 1967

Weird weather there for sure. Cold and foggy in the morning and hot and humid in the afternoon. The meningitis prevention measures were a pain with the windows in the barracks having to be open at night. Froze my ass off many a night.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Fort Lewis, 1966. Yeah, whoever decided that open windows in January was a good idea, meningitis or no, didn't have to live thru it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parris Island Arrived on August 28th 1986, and graduated November 24 1986.

3d Bt H Co Platoon 3093

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ft Polk April 1966

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Fort McClellen, AL. 23 Sept 1979 then on to Ft Rucker, AL for AIT.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Ft. Dix, NJ. B-5-2 AUG-OCT 1971.
Months later I was assigned in Pennsylvania and drove over to visit my Drill Sergeant. He introduced me as “ He was there with all the dopers.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
...drove over to visit my Drill Sergeant.

The two I had both bought the farm on their third tours in 'Nam. Frown Good guys.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ft Dix, Jul-Sep 1968. E-3-2.

I visited "Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst" a few years ago, the AF now uses my old barracks, a nice brick building. The Dix side is very quiet compared to the summer of 1968.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Parris Island
3rd Recruit Training Bn.
Plt. 3090
July 1977 - Oct 1977

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Closest I came to "Basic" was my 14-week summer encampment at Selfridge AFB, Mt. Clemens, Michigan. I was 4-year AFROTC and the summer encampment between semesters was an intense time of barracks life, constant intimidation, and physical activity. I did it the summer of 1958. Later in USAF I experienced a refined version at Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Alabama in 1962.

In 1975, when I was tossed out for failure of promotion to Major, I enlisted for 5 more years to save my pension. I didn't encounter any additional input training for that (but I did have to take all the AFQT testing a high-schooler would do to enlist--I aced them).

I can't compare my experiences with those who actually enlisted into the military, but it was an interesting time.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Great Lakes Naval Training, Great Lakes, Ill. January 1969. Coooold.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Funny that no one went to basic after the early 1990s.

Says something about the age of the vast majority on this forum.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to Lackland AFB Nov '84 to mid-Dec '84
On to Sheppard AFB in time for just about everyone on the whole base to go on leave for Christmas

Wife went to Lackland AFB Oct '87 to mid-Nov '87

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
San Diego CA 06-09 1975

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Funny that no one went to basic after the early 1990s.

Says something about the age of the vast majority on this forum.

Lol, I was just reading this thread to see if anyone was on PI at the same time as me and noticed the same thing. The funny thing is I know we had a thread a while ago about the age of members and I felt like there were a lot of people my age or younger.

Anyway:

Parris Island
Feb-May 1997
2nd BN, G company.

Our barracks were directly across from the parade deck and every weekend we could hear and smell the perfume of the girls who came to see their Marine graduate.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post