SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Hawaiian shirt?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Hawaiian shirt? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
We lived in Hawaii for 20 years, and I started buying Reyn Spooner shirts probably 25 years ago. They are all made of their trademark Spooner Kloth which is a cotton/poly blend. I don't have any 100% cotton ones. I will say the quality has changed a bit recently, but I don't know if it's for all of their shirts. The tags on my earliest ones read "Designed in Hawaii. Tailored in Hawaii." The tags on the ones from maybe 15 years ago read "Designed in Hawaii. Tailored in Korea." The Spooner Kloth for those are 60% cotton/40% polyester. I happened to order a new shirt this year directly from Reyn Spooner. It's the same classic cut Spooner Kloth series, but it's "Designed in Hawaii. Tailored in China." It seems like a good quality shirt, but the cloth is now 55% cotton/45% polyester. It seems thinner. My older shirts still look new after many years, so hopefully the newer one holds up as well, but I was pretty disappointed in the change. I couldn't tell any differences between the Hawaii made and Korea made shirts. I didn't even know where they were made. I had bought them all from a Reyn Spooner shop in Honolulu. After I received the new one this year, I decided to look at the tags since it just felt different.

Keep in mind, larger brands are able to have various parts of their assortment made in different factories, in different locations. Asia made products generally are going to be made in higher volume, thus their price-points come down which favors a mass market consumer. Spooner I know for sure off-shored a lot of their line, I do believe some of their higher-end collections are still made in the Islands.

IF anybody is visiting Hawaii, go into any thrift store and you're going to find racks of Hawaiian shirts, especially in upscale communities surrounding consignment shops usually have a solid collection good quality shirts.

When visiting Oahu, I always stop by Baily's to find something.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
My older brother makes them.

I may have bought some years back ---could you forward contact info?

He is Paperhorse Creations on Facebook.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a few in stock. LG and XL which run slightly large.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34143 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Someone makes the Magnum shirt(the red one). It's pretty cool!

https://paradisefoundshirts.co...d-red-hawaiian-shirt

I have the black one.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the warbird shirts from Sporty’s. Thanks for the recommendation!

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Interesting themes:

Www.topdeckgear.com

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Someone makes the Magnum shirt(the red one). It's pretty cool!

https://paradisefoundshirts.co...d-red-hawaiian-shirt

I have the black one.

That's it! Outstanding!!

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife found the Magnum PI shirt online and sent it to a friend and fellow shooter and conservative. He loved it.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
IMO, Reyn Spooner is worth a look for a high-quality Aloha shirt. I bought one a few years back on Oahu and have ordered more since.

http://reynspooner.com/

What am I missing here? $120 for a poly cotton blend shirt that’s made in China?

Posts: 3441 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
My older brother makes them.

I have one, school busses and it is extremely well made and still looks like new!

I have said to myself that I need to get another one made by him, but never have contacted him. I should rectify that!

On subject/off subject. I have a lot of Hawaiian shirts, from cheap to expensive. You do get what you pay for, for the most part. High end Hawaiian shirts fit and feel better, and last longer.

I wear one almost everyday when the weather is warm.

ARman

Posts: 3157 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
IMO, Reyn Spooner is worth a look for a high-quality Aloha shirt. I bought one a few years back on Oahu and have ordered more since.

What am I missing here? $120 for a poly cotton blend shirt that’s made in China?

Yeah, I hear you. I wait for their sales. They always have stuff on sale, sometimes up to 50% off. And if one of their particular prints isn’t on sale, well then, that’s just the way it is. I’m not paying $120 for a shirt either and never have, and I have a lot of their shirts…..at my price point. Smile

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I hear you. I wait for their sales. They always have stuff on sale, sometimes up to 50% off. And if one of their particular prints isn’t on sale, well then, that’s just the way it is. I’m not paying $120 for a shirt either and never have, and I have a lot of their shirts…..at my price point. Smile

Ditto that for me, as well. I didn’t pay $120 a pop for mine, either. Appears that a price-hike or three might have taken place since I bought mine in 2018.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's why I like Paradise Found. 100% rayon or cotton and made in Hawaii. Well made and more reasonably priced.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
Several years ago we took a trip to Kaua'i. While exploring the island, we stumbled upon a local hand made clothing shop, Jacqueline On Kaua'i. I had been hoping to find a nice Hawaiian shirt, but I had sort of given up on all of the "touristy" stuff.

When we walked in, the owner was a bit eclectic, as was her shop, however her shirts were beautiful. She took the time to explain the difference between her hand made shirts vs the machine made or mass produced stuff. Once she "learned me" on them, the choice was easy.

I suggest you look her up and see what she offers.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post