SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Springfield Armory Severs Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Armory Severs Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wound up a bit? Let it go man.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Para, must have confused Springfield with someone else we were allowed to dump on.
It was probably those X-Products douche bags.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
And some folks are still frothing at the mouth about it.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Yeah, probably was X-Products.

Ryan, what's the deal my man? I'm not wound up. I'm not frothing at the mouth.

I'm calm, I assure you. You don't think SA did anything wrong. That's cool. I'm not so willing to trust them and give them a pass. That's not ok with you?

I can't still look at them with a side eye without you saying I'm wound up or that I'm frothing at the mouth?

Sheesh man, not sure I'm the one who needs to chill. It will be ok if I don't like someone you're ok with. It's a discussion board, not a "we all have to agree and we should crap on people if they don't board."

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, X-Products. Any man who lets his wife fuck up his livelihood needs to get his shit straight.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm calm, I assure you. You don't think SA did anything wrong. That's cool. I'm not so willing to trust them and give them a pass. That's not ok with you?

I can't still look at them with a side eye without you saying I'm wound up or that I'm frothing at the mouth?

Sheesh man, not sure I'm the one who needs to chill. It will be ok if I don't like someone you're ok with. It's a discussion board, not a "we all have to agree and we should crap on people if they don't board."

No worries buddy. Just jabbin ya. Smile
I didn't care for what their corporate stooges did just like you but I also know that there are a lot of great folks at SA that are worth supporting (and they make some great firearms).
I just don't hold grudges and when someone does a good deed I feel it should get recognized.
(Apologies for my snarkiness. I already had this conversation with a coworker this morning and my patients were a bit thin. The "frothing" comment was not aimed at you.)

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Forgiveness is next to godliness, no wait, or was that was cleanliness is next to godliness, anyway...

SA and RRA screwed up, either they thought it would slip through without much fanfare, or they were banking on political capital from it to protect them from future 2A legislation in IL against them, perhaps they were "threatened" that non support would result in them being added to the bill as manufacturing companies.

They chose unwisely...

We should reprimand them for taking this action, yes, however we should also watch their actions on a go forward basis. Hopefully they learned a valuable lesson.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Ruger just posted this on their Facebook page. They say they can’t control who the distributors sell to but say it’s safe to assume there won’t be Rugers in the stores. I guess the distributors agree with Ruger and aren’t going to sell to Dicks? Or maybe they just think that Dicks won’t buy any Ruger firearms.

quote:
To All Our Loyal Fans & Customers:
We have had a number of inquiries about whether we plan to discontinue sales to Dick’s Sporting Goods. We do not sell to Dick’s. Ruger utilizes a two-step distribution system in which we sell to independent, federally licensed distributors, who sell to independent, federally licensed retailers. Because the distributors are independent, we cannot control where they sell the products they acquire. However, we share your concerns about how Dick’s is conducting itself and are disappointed by their recent actions. Given Dick’s recent pronouncements, we expect it is safe to assume that you will not be seeing Ruger firearms in their stores.

Perhaps...Ruger can and does occasionally check for dealer conformance when it comes to MAP pricing. Those dealers that regularly break their MAP policy can be 'blacklisted' and as a result is barred from buying from their distributors, which like Ruger says, is the only way a dealer big or small can buy Ruger products at the wholesale level. SIG Sauer and other gun makers have similar policies in place for their distributors.

If Ruger or any other gun manufacturer wanted, they could put Dick's on a banned list. But these are troubled times we (and they) live in. Already Walmart and other 'big box' general merchandise companies that deal in guns are feeling it from the left, and in some instances doing much the same as Dick's has done. From the manufacturer's standpoint, you can only afford to lose so many retail outlets before your product has LITTLE TO NO presence whatsoever. Small shops like ours typically don't have that kind of capital to bring in lots of selection and variety.

We often get slammed by customers for our lack of bolt guns, a type of firearm that DOESN'T fly off the shelf even in the best of boom times. Margins being what they are, it's really should not be any surprise that Walmart, Kroger and any others have stepped back on their gun sales when that floor space can make them far more money and return in selling some other kinds of goods. Using Parkland as a "reason" to stop and/or limit certain gun sales however has a certain UNwashable stink to it, especially if they're using this with the ulterior motive in garnering social media 'likes' and gaining customers.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

I didn't care for what their corporate stooges did just like you but I also know that there are a lot of great folks at SA that are worth supporting (and they make some great firearms).
I just don't hold grudges and when someone does a good deed I feel it should get recognized.
(Apologies for my snarkiness. I already had this conversation with a coworker this morning and my patients were a bit thin. The "frothing" comment was not aimed at you.)
You were snarky with me too.

You never answered my question how their press release is a good thing and you're still calling their press release a good deed. What did their May 3rd "severing ties" press release accomplish as Dick's had already quit doing business with SA and all gun manufacturers on February 28th?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
My take on the Springfield issue, was they were trying to monopolize their position in Illinois through the poorly thought out Gun Dealer Licensing Act with an active member on the IFMA supporting it.

I personally didn't see it as Springfield selling out on the 2A as was often suggested and the bill was ultimately vetoed.

Did they fuck up? Sure. So what? They make good guns at reasonable prices, including better than avg AR's and are market attentive.

Good for them in taking a stand on this issue. The meaningfulness can be debated, but maybe the intention is to keep a negative focus on Dicks and Field and Stream to America's sportsmen. In that regard it's a small step to shutting them down for good.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

You were snarky with me too.

You never answered my question how their press release is a good thing and you're still calling their press release a good deed. What did their May 3rd "severing ties" press release accomplish as Dick's had already quit doing business with SA and all gun manufacturers on February 28th?

I felt it is a step in the right direction towards making up for their past mistakes. Even if it is just lip service it is good press for the good guys so I'll take it and hope they continue to do what's right.
Again, sorry if I came across rudely.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Not a Springer fan the last couple years, but good on them for giving Dick the finger.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Dicks is a good place to handle a gun then go buy it somewhere else!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since about the only guns I have ever seen competitively priced at Dick's are 10/22s, the Ruger statement could actually have some negative effect on them, at least as far as any loss of firearms sales can impact their bottom line.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Didn't ruger go through a spell a few years ago in the sporting rifles versus military rifles debate. They nearly went bankrupt, changed out some admin types and then have been making nice since then?

My point being, maybe a company can learn sometimes. I don't shop at ducks anymore.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post