SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Springfield Armory Severs Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Armory Severs Ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods Login/Join 
posted
REALLY??? FOR REAL?

I cannot think of the proper word here. Disingenuous comes to mind. Below is the text of the message from the folks at Springfield:

GENESEO, IL, (05/03/18) – Springfield Armory is severing ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, in response to their hiring a group for anti-Second Amendment lobbying.

This latest action follows Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory. In addition, they have denied Second Amendment rights to Americans under the age of 21. We at Springfield Armory believe that all law abiding American citizens of adult age are guaranteed this sacred right under our Constitution.

It is clear where Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, stand on the Second Amendment, and we want to be clear about our message in response. Their position runs counter to what we stand for as a company. At Springfield Armory, we believe in the right and principles fought for and secured by American patriots and our founding forefathers, without question. We will not accept Dick’s Sporting Goods’ continued attempts to deny Second Amendment freedoms to our fellow Americans.

I think most folks here remember what Springfield did last year.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I sure do remember. I’m done with sprongfield...still.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
wait, what did I miss, we hate Springfield now? Crap. Why?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My Dick's Sporting Goods didn't carry many, if any, Springfield Armory firearms, so this sounds good but might not actually mean diddly.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
They are reacting to Dicks virtue signaling by reverse virtue signaling.
Pathetic!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
wait, what did I miss, we hate Springfield now? Crap. Why?

About this time last year, Springfield and Rock River Armory switched their opinion on a proposed anti gun law in Illinois.

They accepted a deal that exempted their two companies from the law in exchange for withdrawing their opposition to the bill.

They did all of this hoping it would never come to light.

Well, the lid got blown off and they were caught red handed. Instead of owning it and firing their leadership, they doubled down and said they had no idea and it was all a misunderstanding. They claimed a lobbiest did this and they had no idea.

The Truth About Guns blew them out of the water and explained that the two companies knew what was going on the whole time. They sold out Illinois gun owners and FFLs to save themselves.

Military Arms Channel blasted them as well and shared all the dirt TTAG had dug up.

Those two companies had been sending donations to anti gun politicians for years, and everything they said about having no idea what this lobbiest was doing was unadulterated horseshit.

Both companies are dead to me...as they should be to any 2A supporter.

ETA, the only reason it didn’t become law was because the Governor vetoed it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
They are reacting to Dicks virtue signaling by reverse virtue signaling.
Pathetic!
Kind of seems like the age old argument that occurs loudly at a bad termination:

Employer: You're fired!

Employee: You can't fire me, I quit!

Employer: No! You can't quit because I already fired you!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory.

They didn't destroy anything they just returned the rifles to the distributor.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Dick’s Sporting Goods’ decision to remove and destroy all modern sporting rifles (MSR) from their inventory.

They didn't destroy anything they just returned the rifles to the distributor.

Not true, at least regarding the ARs they pulled from their stores.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...rkland-shooting.html

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Pot ...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Good on Springfield. Now, if everyone else would do the same.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Did they make this decision before or after today's news that DICK'S is now funding anti-gun lobbyists?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Did they make this decision before or after today's news that DICK'S is now funding anti-gun lobbyists?
I kindly suggest re-reading the very first sentence of SA's press release
quote:
GENESEO, IL, (05/03/18) – Springfield Armory is severing ties with Dick’s Sporting Goods and its subsidiary, Field & Stream, in response to their hiring a group for anti-Second Amendment lobbying.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Meh, it's something. I am not happy with them because of last year but companies do change. I am sure as shit going to use this as leverage when I email all the other major firearms manufactures and suggest that they do the same.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I can't even imagine buying a firearm at a retailer like Dick's. Mostly because anytime I've wandered into that department there is no one around, and no ever shows up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^ That and the fact that they’re dicks. My experience with Dicks is if there were an employee behind the counter, they’d be a dick, act like a dick, or treat you like you’re a dick. Even before their douchey behavior, my experience with them sucked.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
Just keep supporting your LGS. Don't worry about what these big companies are doing for political shock value.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And the pigs eat their own. Hah! Somehow I don't think either company is going to prove themselves morally superior to the other - even among their chosen audiences.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I can't even imagine buying a firearm at a retailer like Dick's. Mostly because anytime I've wandered into that department there is no one around, and no ever shows up.

I have never bought a gun from Dicks. I have heard of people getting good deals on this forum but never seen one myself. I have bought gun from other big box retailers though. While they are typically high on new guns sometimes the used guns can be had for a steal.

Dicks could have P229s on sale for a buck though and I wouldn't buy one. Mainly because I wouldn't know since I refuse to set foot in one.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post