SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago - Rabble Rousers plan shutdown of Lake Shore Dr., Cubs game at Wrigley
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago - Rabble Rousers plan shutdown of Lake Shore Dr., Cubs game at Wrigley Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Anti-violence activists

Who wants to bet there will be violence from the "anti-violence activists"?

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warm up the "scoops". It worked well in Soylent Green!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Here is a better idea. How about the rest of us blockade and shut down Rap/Hip-Hop concerts that are promoting the thug culture, busting caps in biches asses, shooting at police, and selling drugs.

Wonder how they would like that? You want to attack the roots of a problem, protesting in the areas where it isn't happening or against people who aren't contributing to the problem is a waste of time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Rabble rousers on LSD, what could go wrong? Hopefully, it's free bat night at Wrigley.

I'd like to see them march down to Soldier Field when a Bear's just after a Bear's game finishes.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Good for them! I hope the 9 1/2 digit midget -Rham supports this one too! Keep up that great work, you fucking morons! Shut it down, shut the whole Lake Shore Drive down for all I care. And I'm 100% serous about this statement. SHUT IT THE FUCK DOWN!
I want the rest of the city to know what special type of assholes you are. Your own people, in your own neighborhood won't stop the shooting, so you little pussies go and inconvenience everyone else. Heaven forbid you shut down a dope spot, or dope spots that help fuel this violence, you won't protest in Washington park or other places where the shootings actually happened... You go and fuck with other people.

(Funny thing is, the people you're starting to inconvenience now are somewhat sympathetic to your plight...)

Ulsterman, I hope there's ZERO arrest! None, nada, zip.... Let them fuck things up. Let the rest of the City start to experience the tantrums of the inner-city savage first hand.

This is all tinder and dead trees that are going to add to the shit-show I'm predicting that's going to hit Chicago about the end of September / beginning of October....

This should apply to all inner-city environs. The idiots who want to disrupt and spread to 'the other parts of the city', go right ahead. Your enablers are living in those very places, they're not as stupid as the protestors but, they are dumb enough to continue vote and donate to the causes that support these idiots. Well, give them a taste of whom they're supporting. When all their cars are damaged, their stoops have trash strewn about, the trees in the neighborhood are cut-down, their homes are graffiti'd and the garbage cans a set a fire. Go right ahead and march to your hearts content.

Can't sum it up better than this!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughter are going to be downtown that night for a medical appt Friday AM. This should not affect them as they are taking the train up.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Can't we just dump them into Lake Michigan?

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
This is older but still relevant today.

https://sultanknish.blogspot.c...value-index.html?m=1

The Minority Victim Value Index
Toward the end of Animal Farm when the formerly revolutionary seven commandments have been rewritten to "All Animals are Equal... But Some Animals are More Equal than Others", what began with the promise of equality has reverted to an authoritarian caste system. America's civil rights revolution similarly began with, "All Americans are Equal" and ended up with, "All Americans are Equal... But Some Americans are More Equal than Others."

Liberals have seized the commanding heights of the moral high ground by presenting themselves as the protectors of minorities and vowing to replace one racist system with an equally racist, anti-racist system. But caste systems aren't just black and white and the rainbow coalition has internal conflicts. What do liberals do when different groups within the rainbow coalition conflict and how do they make that determination?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand their, er...logic.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180727-story.html

Protests that block highways, like the one planned for this week, are part of an international trend

byMary Wisniewski
Chicago Tribune
July 30, 2018

The anti-violence march planned for Thursday on Lake Shore Drive and the march that shut down the Dan Ryan Expressway earlier this month are part of a national and international trend of using transportation infrastructure as a stage for protests.

This kind of protest has the advantage of being hard to ignore, since it disrupts the daily routines of those who might not otherwise pay attention to the issues being addressed. It also tends to draw more media attention than a picket in front of a building.

“It’s definitely been a trend in the last four or five years, literally taking it to the streets and taking over freeways and disrupting people,” said Stefan Bradley, chair of the African-American studies department at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.

Bradley said some people criticize the tactic because it risks turning off moderates who may have been sympathetic to the cause but are inconvenienced at being held up in traffic. But disruption is the point, he said.

“It’s the idea — to draw attention to particular issues,” Bradley said. He said gun violence, particularly in Chicago, has become almost normalized and a nonissue outside of communities of people of color. “By shutting down the Dan Ryan or by taking the demonstration to Lake Shore Drive, people are raising awareness about the issue and not making it an issue that black and brown people have to solve, but rather Chicago and Americans have to solve,” Bradley said. “Everybody is affected by this.”

READ MORE: Planned protest, shutdown of North Lake Shore Drive and march to Wrigley Field aims to 'redistribute the pain in Chicago' »

The Rev. Gregory Livingston, who is one of the organizers of the Lake Shore Drive protest, said he wants it during rush hour on the wealthy North Side, on the first day of Lollapalooza, to draw attention to problems seen in poorer areas on the South and West sides.

“I believe there are many people in this city who don’t know the raw deal other people are getting,” Livingston said.

Examples of highway and other transportation protests are numerous, and everywhere:

• In May, people with disabilities blocked access to and from a major highway in Tel Aviv, Israel, resulting in traffic jams. The protesters wanted higher disability stipends.

• In Olympia, Wash., in November, anti-fracking activists blocked train tracks.

• In St. Louis last October, protesters walked onto Interstate 64 and blocked traffic as part of a demonstration over the acquittal of a former police officer in the shooting death of Anthony Lamar Smith, a black man.

• Last September, anti-fascism protesters walked onto U.S. Highway 101 in Los Angeles during rush hour.

• July 2016 saw multiple highway protests in response to police-involved shootings of black men, with activists blocking on-ramps onto the San Francisco Bay Bridge, Interstate 94 in St. Paul, Minn., and the Interstate 75/85 Downtown Connector in Atlanta. Here in Chicago, a protest that month briefly shut down the northbound Dan Ryan at 55th Street.

• In Chicago last September, homeless activists briefly blocked inbound Lake Shore Drive to protest the removal of a homeless camp at Wilson Avenue. Protesters also briefly snarled traffic on Lake Shore Drive and the Eisenhower Expressway in December 2014 to protest police killings in Missouri and New York City.

In response to multiple demonstrations in recent years, lawmakers in some states pushed to criminalize protests that interfered with traffic.

The idea of taking to the streets is not new — the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. led the 1965 march onto the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala. The clash on the bridge between peaceful protesters and police using tear gas and billy clubs was televised around the world.

Bradley noted that many people now are sympathetic toward the 1960s civil rights protests, but “they don’t understand how wildly annoying Martin Luther King was and the protesters were.”

“If it had been left to letter-writing campaigns and phone calls, nothing would have ever gotten done,” Bradley said.

Livingston recalled a story his grandfather used to tell about a dog sitting on a porch whining because he was sitting on a nail. Asked why the dog didn’t move, the grandfather replied, “It doesn’t hurt bad enough yet.”

Livingston said change comes from discomfort with the way things are, and the protest will help “redistribute the pain.” The march will block Lake Shore Drive at Belmont Avenue, and then move up Clark Street to Wrigley Field, Livingston said.

“Sometimes you have to irritate people to get them to move,” said Livingston, a former City Council candidate. He is demanding the resignation of both Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, along with economic investments on the South and West sides. He said he disagreed with the strategy of the Dan Ryan protest, held in an area where people were already familiar with the problem of violence.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in an email that police are meeting with organizers to learn about their plans.

“While I don’t have any specifics that I can share as of yet, we are committed to protecting individuals’ right to demonstrate while also balancing the potential traffic and public safety implications,” Guglielmi said.

mwisniewski@chicagotribune.com

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pfleger is a spawn from the devil masquerading as a man of God. Mad

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradley said "everybody is affected by this".
Ummm... Nope. Don't the feel the affect at all.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Until the people that support these idiots, the people who vote for these idiots, experience some PERSONAL pain from their decisions nothing will change. Nothing. At. All.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's not the fault of the people living outside of the affected area? Maybe it's the values of the people living there.

Did you ever think about that, Reverend ja'Lookatme?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is about power, nothing more. "Reverend" Livingston is pissed because Father Faker is receiving all the publicity. The other phoney, Reverend Acree who I know personally is a two bit phony race hustler who hates the Police and has no,none,nada interest in reducing violence in his community which is on the westside of Chicago. I know this because I sat with him one time at a meeting for an hour trying to solve the violence problem in his area. He just wasn't interested but wanted to have the ability to say he met with the Police. These two idiots make the other flimflam man Jesse Jackson Jr. look like a normal guy.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever. If the citizens of Chicago don't want to do anything about it - then they can deal with it and cry in their soup.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
So, how did this shitshow go? I heard it was still going to happen on the radio Thursday morning, bu haven't heard anything since.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing. I was in the city Wednesday night, but then got the hell out!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More reporters than protesters

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
According to WGN-TV, there were about 150 protestors (I guess including some who joined the march as it got near the end, didn't do the whole walk), and Special Eddie said he was going to have between 200 and 400 police there to protect them.

It reminded me of the so-called Million Man March, which turned out to be not even that many fingers and toes.

One of the marchers was "offended" because some of the fans at Wrigley were giving him The Finger from the upper levels.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post