SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago - Rabble Rousers plan shutdown of Lake Shore Dr., Cubs game at Wrigley
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago - Rabble Rousers plan shutdown of Lake Shore Dr., Cubs game at Wrigley Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Link

“CHICAGO — Anti-violence activists are planning to shut down Lake Shore Drive next week, almost a month after Rev. Michael Pfleger and thousands of activists shut down the Dan Ryan Expressway.

The community activists are organizing a march to Wrigley Field at 4 p.m. next Thursday, August 2. The Chicago Cubs have a 7:05 p.m. home game that night against the San Diego Padres.”

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good, more fucking cowbell to piss people off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not this shit again!

I don't know who said that first, but it sure fits. More details that will both puzzle and frustrate readers, plus a map of the protest route.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180724-story.html

Planned protest, shutdown of North Lake Shore Drive aims to 'redistribute the pain in Chicago'

by Elvia Malagon
Chicago Tribune

Standing across the street from the Chicago Cubs’ bright red marquee, community activists said Tuesday they’re planning to bring the North Side of the city to a standstill next week to “redistribute the pain in Chicago.”

And that’s why they’re planning to shut down a stretch of North Lake Shore Drive during evening rush hour to make way for an anti-violence march that will make its way to the fringes of Wrigley Field as the Cubs prepare for a night game there, organizers say. The late-afternoon march Aug. 2 could effectively shut down portions of the city as traffic already will be heavy with Lollapalooza getting underway in Grant Park.

“We are going down commercial strips and if people are upset about us disturbing their entertainment and their cafe life, human life is more important than recreation,” said the Rev. Gregory Livingston, one of the organizers. “We all need to recognize that.”

The march is expected to begin about 4 p.m. on the northbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive, starting near Diversey Avenue and continuing several blocks north near Belmont Avenue where protesters will exit the roadway. The group will eventually make its way west to Clark Street and on to Wrigley Field. The goal of the protest is to draw attention to the city’s violence..

The protest march in many ways seems to be a rebuke of the city’s establishment from leaders of several organizations including the Coalition for a New Chicago, a social justice organization, and the Violence Interrupters. They have called for the resignations of Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson, Livingston said.

“So on Aug. 2, everybody, we march against Rahm Emanuel,” Livingston said. “We march against Eddie Johnson. We march for decent decrees and we march against empty lying promises.”

Emanuel and Johnson have not responded to a request for comment on demands that they step down.

And organizers said they won’t be asking city officials for permission to march on Lake Shore Drive or on the rest of the route. In fact, they’re preparing to be arrested.

Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for Chicago police, said in an email that department officials will be meeting with march organizers in the coming days to talk about the demonstration.

“CPD works very hard to protect freedom of speech and right for public demonstration while simultaneously balancing safety needs of the community,” Guglielmi said.

Asked whether the city might try stop the march, the mayor’s office didn’t respond directly to the question. Shannon Breymaier, a mayoral spokeswoman, wrote in an emailed response that the Chicago Police Department “regularly works with event organizers to keep the public safe, and, as always, our goal is to keep the community safe on public thoroughfares. ”

Organizers started to plan next week’s march after Chicago police fatally shot Harith Augustus July 14 in the South Shore neighborhood. The deadly shooting has sparked a series of protests that at times led to tense interactions with police.

Tio Hardiman, from the group Violence Interrupters, said they’ve been marching for years to end gun violence in the city to no avail. The group works to mitigate conflicts in Chicago neighborhoods to prevent gun violence, Hardiman said. And they’ve decided to do it this time on the North Side to “redistribute the pain in Chicago.” Hardiman said he plans to carry a casket through the demonstration to represent gun violence victims.

Organizers aren’t sure if hundreds or thousands will join them next week.

“We are going to have enough to do what we need to do,” Livingston said. “And if it thousands, that would be great but we are going to have enough. And who knows, the Lollapalooza crowd may take a break and join us.”

If the group manages to march on Lake Shore Drive, it would be the second protest this summer to shut down a major roadway in Chicago. Earlier this month, the Rev. Michael Pfleger, pastor at St. Sabina’s Catholic Church on the South Side, led a demonstration on the Dan Ryan Expressway.

But don’t expect to see Pfleger, who took to social media to discuss the upcoming march, in the crowd next week. Pfleger told the Tribune he’s hesitant to participate because these organizers are calling for the mayor and the city’s top cop to resign. Johnson marched with Pfleger when he led the Dan Ryan shutdown. And the youth group Pfleger’s been working with is planning to meet with elected officials and candidates to see what policies could be changed that would address gun violence, better schools and more resources for the South and West sides of the city.

“It’s just a different focus than our focus,” Pfleger told the Tribune, adding: “We can change the names in offices but if we don’t change the policy, then it’s just someone else enforcing it. The system is bad. So it’s not about Democrats or Republicans, it’s about who is willing to radically change the policies and the determination of funds to level the playing fields.”

Though Livingston and Hardiman said they did not attend the Dan Ryan shutdown, other organizers did. Still, leaders of next week’s march don’t want to be compared to the Dan Ryan shutdown — and one organizer was somewhat critical of it. .

“I thought it was strategically not the best thing because the purpose of a demonstration and a march is to redistribute the pain so to be out on the Dan Ryan on a weekend at 10 o’clock in the morning, in a black neighborhood where all this is going on — I don’t feel like it was anything that was going to redistribute the pain,” Livingston said. “As you can see, already with the announcement of this march during a weekday, during rush hour, during rush traffic, during a Cubs game, it adds a whole different dimension in terms of our demands.”

The Chicago Cubs have a home game scheduled for 7:05 p.m. that day against the San Diego Padres. However, organizers for the march said they don’t intend to go into Wrigley Field. Julian Green, spokesman for the Chicago Cubs, said fans attending the game that day should avoid Lake Shore Drive and consider alternative routes.

“We’re looking forward to an exciting game against the Padres and will work with CPD to ensure all fans are able to enter and exit the ballpark safely and without interruption,” Green wrote in an email.

Chicago Tribune’s John Byrne contributed.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Tio Hardiman, from the group Violence Interrupters, said they’ve been marching for years to end gun violence in the city to no avail.

Well, that's a shock. Who would've thought marching wouldn't solve the problem?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any wagers on the amount of arrests and property destruction due to the "Anti Violence March"?

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps instead of redistributing the pain these knuckleheads could look inward and realize exactly how much of the pain is self inflicted and entirely avoidable should they quit being knuckleheads.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is North Lake Shore Drive a primary route for ambulances and other emergency equipment?

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for them! I hope the 9 1/2 digit midget -Rham supports this one too! Keep up that great work, you fucking morons! Shut it down, shut the whole Lake Shore Drive down for all I care. And I'm 100% serous about this statement. SHUT IT THE FUCK DOWN!
I want the rest of the city to know what special type of assholes you are. Your own people, in your own neighborhood won't stop the shooting, so you little pussies go and inconvenience everyone else. Heaven forbid you shut down a dope spot, or dope spots that help fuel this violence, you won't protest in Washington park or other places where the shootings actually happened... You go and fuck with other people.

(Funny thing is, the people you're starting to inconvenience now are somewhat sympathetic to your plight...)

Ulsterman, I hope there's ZERO arrest! None, nada, zip.... Let them fuck things up. Let the rest of the City start to experience the tantrums of the inner-city savage first hand.

This is all tinder and dead trees that are going to add to the shit-show I'm predicting that's going to hit Chicago about the end of September / beginning of October....

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heaven help the incautious fool in the Cubbie's front office who ponders aloud having "Bat Day" on the 2nd... but you know they're thinking it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Tio Hardiman, from the group Violence Interrupters, said they’ve been marching for years to end gun violence in the city to no avail.

Well, that's a shock. Who would've thought marching wouldn't solve the problem?

It seems they need to step it up a little. Perhaps they could advance to candlelight vigils and see how that goes.

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it funny that they won't march down the streets where the violence happens,which should be their concern, but instead go everywhere else. Of course they won't snitch to be actually able to solve the crimes. I remember Chris Rock saying, they can solve the murder of white people but they can't solve the people responsible for gunning down Biggy Smalls and Tupac. I wonder why???

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about they go to Philadelphia and shut down Broad Street before/after a Flyers-Penguins game. See what happens when you get in the way of hockey fans. Bonus: Do it when the Flyers lose.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a lot cheaper to watch the Cubs play in Milwaukee rather than Wrigley, anyway.

And easier, probably, as well. Last year my girlfriend took PACE to a July game, didn't get there until the 4th Inning, and left after the 7th Inning to make sure she got a seat on the return bus.

I wonder if Ricketts will open talks with one of the Northwest suburbs again, to relocate the team? Didn't work a few years ago and he spent a ton of money upgrading Wrigley, but I bet he's recalculating his investment about now.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Any wagers on the amount of arrests and property destruction due to the "Anti Violence March"?

I got fifty bucks on anti violence march resulting in violence.

Anyone taking prop bets on this? I got money on seeing a flag burning.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a monster truck rally, or a Peterbilt 379 with a cow-catcher!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I think they are not thinking about the reaction from fans and the team/organization. This will have a profound effect on the teams $$$ if fans are afraid to go. Others will be pissed that someone is trying to prevent them from excercising their rights. It may be a real donnybrook. I am curious if the CPD will stand by and watch it happen as in some other cities.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have a lot of snow removal equipment.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Good for them! I hope the 9 1/2 digit midget -Rham supports this one too! Keep up that great work, you fucking morons! Shut it down, shut the whole Lake Shore Drive down for all I care. And I'm 100% serous about this statement. SHUT IT THE FUCK DOWN!
I want the rest of the city to know what special type of assholes you are. Your own people, in your own neighborhood won't stop the shooting, so you little pussies go and inconvenience everyone else. Heaven forbid you shut down a dope spot, or dope spots that help fuel this violence, you won't protest in Washington park or other places where the shootings actually happened... You go and fuck with other people.

(Funny thing is, the people you're starting to inconvenience now are somewhat sympathetic to your plight...)

Ulsterman, I hope there's ZERO arrest! None, nada, zip.... Let them fuck things up. Let the rest of the City start to experience the tantrums of the inner-city savage first hand.

This is all tinder and dead trees that are going to add to the shit-show I'm predicting that's going to hit Chicago about the end of September / beginning of October....

This should apply to all inner-city environs. The idiots who want to disrupt and spread to 'the other parts of the city', go right ahead. Your enablers are living in those very places, they're not as stupid as the protestors but, they are dumb enough to continue vote and donate to the causes that support these idiots. Well, give them a taste of whom they're supporting. When all their cars are damaged, their stoops have trash strewn about, the trees in the neighborhood are cut-down, their homes are graffiti'd and the garbage cans a set a fire. Go right ahead and march to your hearts content.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Time for a monster truck rally, or a Peterbilt 379 with a cow-catcher!

Hire local chapters of the Hell's Angels to clear the streets. Give them a pile of cash and all the beer they can drink afterward.

It will be money well spent.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
^^^ Around Chicago it would be The Outlaws.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post