SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woo-Hoo!!! Latest poll shows former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville with 12 point lead over Sessions in AL Senate runoff
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woo-Hoo!!! Latest poll shows former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville with 12 point lead over Sessions in AL Senate runoff Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tuberville has no business in the U.S. Senate. Football coaches should stick to football.

I don't know enough about Tuberville but I don't have a problem with football coaches in the U.S. Senate. Football coaches usually have some leadership qualities that would be useful. Besides, I think we need more citizens and fewer lifetime politicians.

What else has he done? What has he written? What are his beliefs and ideology? What positions has he taken?
I want someone who isn't an empty suit, is mostly conservative, and won't be mushy and easily shaped and corrupted by the Washington establishment.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24133 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know enough about Tuberville but I don't have a problem with football coaches in the U.S. Senate. Football coaches usually have some leadership qualities that would be useful.

^^^^^^
Perhaps. However not a week goes by when a big time coach gets himself in trouble with coeds, procuring women for prospective athletes, frequent calls to sex lines and recruiting violations. I have to admit that it takes a special kind of person to motivate 18 year olds with difficult backgrounds and questionable ethics. Bobby Bowden would famously comment upon his skill on raising kids who did not have a father in the home. Of course some of these behaviors are identical to our politicians.

I don't think being a football coach should disqualify someone, any more than being a Hollywood actor or professional athlete. I think many Americans have trouble separating the profession from the person.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Sometimes the "person" also has that difficulty.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

I don't know enough about Tuberville...

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Perhaps. However not a week goes by when a big time coach gets himself in trouble with coeds...

Tubs isn't perfect, but he is a very solid person. I can say that I know him reasonably well and have known him for many years. I can tell you stories about the things he does for others under the radar, and the way he conducts himself when no one is watching, that will make you believe in his integrity.

He conducts himself with character and he is solid financially; he isn't doing this for personal gain. He believes in Trump and wants to go to DC to vote in lock step with the President.

He isn't likely to introduce any sweeping legislation, but I don't care about that. He is going there to have Trump's back, and he will do exactly that. I am very comfortable and happy to vote for him.

Posts: 8626 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tubs isn't perfect, but he is a very solid person. I can say that I know him reasonably well and have known him for many years. I can tell you stories about the things he does for others under the radar, and the way he conducts himself when no one is watching, that will make you believe in his integrity.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is good to hear. Never cared for Sessions anyway.

Posts: 17244 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Sessions is the definition of the swamp. Shelby too, I voted for Tuberville and will support him. Anybody that thinks sessions is good for Alabama or the USA is delusional. Sessions could have stopped this whole dossier/Russia/impeachment bullshit.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Sessions could have stopped this whole dossier/Russia/impeachment bullshit.

The dems were allowed to show their hand and reveal their true nature for the world to see, instead of a Republican stepping in from the Judicial branch and attempting to stop them. May have been a smart move in the grand scheme of things? I don't think what the dems did in the house will hurt any Republicans and just might help a few. Had they been stopped, what kind of propaganda ammo would that have been for them?

I suspect either Sessions or Tuberville will be a good senator and either one would beat Jones in November. I have about three weeks to decide where my vote will go, before the Republican runoff on March 31 here in Alabama.

Tuberville is from Arkansas and lived in Alabama during his time at Auburn 1999-2008, recently moved back and established residency for this run. Sessions was born and raised here. Tuberville beat "Alabama" before Wink Six times in a row in fact. So who will have Alabama's back and best interests?

Posts: 4706 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
100% agree with both of you.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:

Not being a career politician or a lawyer are good starts.....

quote:
I don't care which one wins the Primary, as long as that one wins the general.

This is going to be a tough year, and we need to hold the senate.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
What are Tuberville's credentials? Being a football coach is no advantage, in my eyes--maybe even a detriment. (I don't like football.)

flashguy

Well there’s a chance that he’s not a back stabbing Pussy like Sessions so that’s good enough for me

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I remember when Sessions was appointed AG. I thought he'll be great. Had to eat those words. The man sucked. Would never vote for him in any position. Worthless.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I don’t like or trust either but I’ll hold my nose...again..and vote for either over Scumbag Jones.

Didnt Tuberville defraud some people out of over a million dollars and settle out of court? He also quit on his team and went duck hunting during the most important week of recruiting.

Of course Sessions isn’t any better but he is a known entity as a senator and was pretty good.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Didnt Tuberville defraud some people out of over a million dollars

No.

The rest of your post is fanbase silliness and the pain of losing 6 games in a row. Time to look past that.

I will vote for Tubs in the run-off, but if Sessions wins that, I will vote enthusiastically for him.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

No.

The rest of your post is fanbase silliness and the pain of losing 6 games in a row. Time to look past that.

I will vote for Tubs in the run-off, but if Sessions wins that, I will vote enthusiastically for him.

No? ... Sure about that are you? If not, why did he have to settle for undisclosed (amount) terms. Seems the courts and facts in evidence disagree with you. Asking for a friend. I understand you graduated from Auburn and "love", admire and respect Tuberville but don't be blind to facts ... or confuse opinion with fact. I too will vote Republican in November regardless of who wins the runoff March 31st.

"In 2010, Tuberville was a co-defendant with John David Stroud in a lawsuit brought against TS Capital LLC. The lawsuit was filed by investors and alleged that Tuberville and Stroud co-managed a hedge fund that defrauded investors of $1.7 million. Stroud was found guilty in August 2013 of securities fraud, ordered to pay $2.1 million in restitution and serve 10 years in jail. The case against Tuberville was settled on October 10, 2013, but terms were not disclosed."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tuberville

Posts: 4706 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What's the odds that Bama fans won't vote for a former Auburn coach, bad blood runs deep between those two fan bases....

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
What's the odds that Bama fans won't vote for a former Auburn coach, bad blood runs deep between those two fan bases....

Yes, I wonder about that, too.

I could easily imagine Woody Hayes (longtime Ohio State coach, and probably a fine individual) running for mayor of Ann Arbor, MI and losing to a half-eaten jar of pickles.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:

No? ... Sure about that are you?

Yes, I am sure.

John David Stroud was found guilty in the criminal case. Tubs also lost money to him. Should Tubs have stayed away from him and never associated with him? Sure. Hindsight is 20/20.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Yes, I wonder about that, too.

I could easily imagine Woody Hayes (longtime Ohio State coach, and probably a fine individual)
running for mayor of Ann Arbor, MI and losing to a half-eaten jar of pickles.

Tuberville has backers that are Alabama grads. I think it is possible that some of their rank and file fans won't vote for him for that reason, but hopefully the will rise above it and see the big picture.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Fuck me. Football in the south.

Sort it out. Can the dem.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Trump could use another lineman. Sorted.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

No.

Ok fanboy. Everything I said is true. I’ve been around him enough to know he’s a jerk, regardless of where he coached. Like I said, I’ll vote for him over Jones.

I’m sure you would run out and enthusiastically vote for Saban, right?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post