SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Orlando police officer faces termination for injury
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orlando police officer faces termination for injury Login/Join 
posted
https://www.wftv.com/news/loca...ermination/974304038

Please read!

I am going to write a protest letter to the Chief of Police and the City Commission. Perhaps you could do the same to protest this atrocity.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2081 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It's been three years. Serious question, how long do you think they should continue to pay him to not be a police officer?

Posts: 3365 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What is his injury?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20742 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Once he reaches maximum medical improvement and still cannot be medically cleared to return to work as a police officer he would be eligible for a work related disability pension, which he will need to apply to the pension board for. There is also a Worker's Compensation settlement on the horizon which will be pretty substantial. But it is a process to get to the end. This will force the issue.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
He got shot in the helmet during the pulse thing.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
From the article above: "(Police Chief) Rolon said he doesn't think in the end Napolitano will be fired and this could all be worked out. But it has to be done in the next few weeks, or he will be let go."

The Chief seems reasonable, especially after three years.

I also wonder what the injury is. The article mentions the officer's helmet taking a bullet. But the lack of details about the injury and also type of doctor being scene is interesting.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'll guess it is some sort of TBI.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37912 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Again, what is his injury? The article doesn't specify at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30284 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First paragraph:

ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando police officer who took a bullet to the head during the Pulse nightclub terrorist attack is now facing termination.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2081 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yep. Here in Utah they can fire us after 90 days. No such thing as a medical retirement.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

Again, what is his injury? The article doesn't specify at all.

From an article after the event.

https://www.dailypress.com/os-...-20160613-story.html

"...The includes officer Michael Napolitano, who was saved by a Kevlar helmet he wore after being shot at by Mateen. Napolitano was slightly injured, receiving slight lacerations on his forehead and several stitches. ..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43799 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Yep. Here in Utah they can fire us after 90 days. No such thing as a medical retirement.

Terrible! You'd think the BLM founders are in charge of the "benefits" programs there. Mad

Even in California, abuse of "the system" is probably as likely to be found on the part of the employers as those seeking a medical retirement. Two former co-workers of mine are still fighting for disability settlements, more than a decade after they retired. One of those officers nearly lost her arm to a gunshot wound received when a suspect wanted for multiple murders tried to kill her as he took a hostage. She fought like hell to recover and return to full duty status, and did for awhile, but there were just too many medical complications to allow her to stay. She was told not to worry, and that the final settlement (including continuing medical treatment as necessary) would come after she accepted retirement. Ten years plus later and Risk Management is still screwing around with her. Terrible.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
This article has more information: Link

His injury is PTSD and he's been waiting for a medical exam that he needs before he goes before a disability pension review board. He hasn't been able, in 15 weeks, to get an appointment with the doctor that specializes in his disability for the exam.

He was assigned a "light duty" assignment a year and a half ago and wasn't able to do that job either.

He isn't being fired because of his injury. He's being fired for not being able to do the job.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
He took a bullet to the head, going after a terrorist killing people, didn't hide like the coward Broward Deputy in Parkland and Orlando PD wants to fire him, and people are asking what his injuries are? This is a fucking disgrace, shame on Orlando Police their policies and the Chief.

Posts: 2762 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
His injury is PTSD and he's been waiting for a medical exam that he needs before he goes before a disability pension review board. He hasn't been able, in 15 weeks, to get an appointment with the doctor that specializes in his disability for the exam.

Something is amiss here. An appointment for a PTSD exam by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist should not be that long of a wait. Besides, I would hope that he has seen a psychologist or psychiatrist by this time. I would hope that he has an attorney to expedite the process.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter if you are Police Officer, Doctor, Lawyer or a Janitor. If you can not longer do the job you are hired to do they can't hold your job open for ever. It happens. I know many Officers I worked with who had to leave due to PTSD. No medical retirement. Voluntary separation.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
He took a bullet to the head, going after a terrorist killing people, didn't hide like the coward Broward Deputy in Parkland and Orlando PD wants to fire him, and people are asking what his injuries are? This is a fucking disgrace, shame on Orlando Police their policies and the Chief.

Dude, he got a couple of stitches and probably a bad headache. I would be out high fiving and buying beers for everyone, while thanking God, and not moping about. His life was saved and he got a scratch in the process and a story that will get him laid every time he goes to the bar.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20742 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Something is amiss here. An appointment for a PTSD exam by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist should not be that long of a wait. Besides, I would hope that he has seen a psychologist or psychiatrist by this time. I would hope that he has an attorney to expedite the process.

You don't think the city or worker comp insurance has a vested interest in this? If he gets disability due to injury and to PTSD, then other cops that went into the PULSE that night might claim PTSD (there are a bunch who have or are receiving treatment). I have seen this before with City's trying to block disability claims. If you are out of job due to the city firing you for not being able to do your job, and can't work anywhere else due to the disability, you would probably want to settle quickly for a much less amount.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

Dude, he got a couple of stitches and probably a bad headache. I would be out high fiving and buying beers for everyone, while thanking God, and not moping about. His life was saved and he got a scratch in the process and a story that will get him laid every time he goes to the bar.

Wow, an expert on concussions and TBI. The night of the incident, he got stitches as reported. I am sure medical ERs were a little swamped to do full concussion protocols. I have had my bell rung in two different car accidents. First in my late teens; I was walking around doing things except I only remember two hours out of two weeks (friends and family thought I wasn't acting normally but I wasn't acting abnormally this was well before concussion protocols). Second time was on on duty accident; I had a bad knee injury, a broken and separated shoulder, and concussion. I was off due injury for 6 months and I had bouts of blinding headaches/nausea for 2 1/2 months. The kicker was while my head was hurt at time of the accident (exterior bruise on side of head), the headaches didn't start for two days. Lots of tests showed I just had to ride it out. The diagnosis was it would get better, it would just take time and I had to ride out the headaches.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't think the city or worker comp insurance has a vested interest in this? If he gets disability due to injury and to PTSD, then other cops that went into the PULSE that night might claim PTSD (there area bunch who have or are receiving treatment). I have seen this before with City's trying to block disability claims. If you are out of job due to the city firing you for not being able to do your job, and can't work anywhere else due to the disability, you would probably want to settle quickly for a much less amount.

Sadly this is often the case. I know this happens. I have firsthand experience with these sorts of issues. I was strongly suggesting that he press the matter. The VA has recently expedited their PTSD claims process by contracting it out to private sources.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post