SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is a storm shelter a good idea? Daughter wants to know.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a storm shelter a good idea? Daughter wants to know. Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Search Took about 30 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIQq4hfsgVI

A very poor choice for a door. Also, if you look at the video of Texas Tech testing these things, they're launching 2x4s at them, not telephone poles.

Yea, I'm sure you're a real smart guy and all. But in my opinion, I'd rather be under ground. Like I said, there are LOTs of people in tornado alley living for years in trailer parks too. Likely they'd agree with you.

You seem an awful lot like an above ground shelter salesman. Big Grin

Underground shelters have their share of hazards as well. In Moore OK, Plaza Towers Elementary School seven children drowned in a basement shelter.

https://nypost.com/2013/05/21/...ue-recovery-efforts/

Very sad story. Also, this website has some pretty jarring photos of what can happen with in-ground shelters:

https://www.tornadoalleyarmor....ound-or-below-ground

So, it's one of those pick your poison situations. I would imagine most of the industry rated shelters would suffice. I've always believed underground was the safest bet but I had lingering questions regarding the Plaza Towers tragedy.

Some plan to monitor the TV & radio and be in another county when a large tornado is spotted, but that is extremely hazardous too. In OKC, a few years ago, an entire interstate was grid locked as a tornado was approaching. I don't believe there were fatalities but it could have been terrible.

I can see the benefits of a solid above ground shelter, if properly built I'd imagine they would protect people from most tornados and most debris. I do believe underground shelters are better for the worst tornados though they do come with their own hazards.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
I looked into building codes a bit and am thinking about putting in a (conditioned) crawl space access below my wife’s island in the WIC. Throw the thing on tracks and it’s easy peasy.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Is it not just common sense that below ground, nothing is going to hit you or tear you away. Above ground something is going to hit you and maybe tear you away.

If I lived down there I'd go under.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I'm missing something.

Either the solid limestone or the groundwater 2' below the surface, both of which prevent you from going below grade.

This is why there are swaths of our nation where you rarely see basements in homes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Williamson county, TN...my question is whether it’s a good idea for [a storm shelter in] that area...

This link ( www.FEMA.gov/Disasters/Disaster-Declarations ) takes you to FEMA's website where you can find all of the "declared" disasters by US State and Type.

Unfortunately, you need to open each disaster to determine the impacted area. For Tornadoes, if they can occur in one part of TN I'm guessing they can land anywhere across TN. Having lived my life in CA, I don't know much about Tornadoes other than to avoid them!

For TN, there have been 21 declared disasters where one "or more" Tornadoes caused significant damages. Keep that in mind, it's not just 21 Tornadoes ~ this is the number of declarations not a count of Tornadoes:

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, AND FLOODING (DR-4541-TN)
Incident Period: April 12, 2020 - April 13, 2020

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, AND FLOODING (DR-4189-TN)
Incident Period: June 5, 2014 - June 10, 2014

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS AND (DR-4060-TN)
Incident Period: February 29, 2012 - March 2, 2012

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, TORNADOES, AND (DR-4005-TN)
Incident Period: June 18, 2011 - June 24, 2011

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, AND ASSOCIATED FLOODING (DR-1974-TN)
Incident Period: April 25, 2011 - April 28, 2011

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, TORNADOES, AND FLOODING (DR-1979-TN)
Incident Period: April 19, 2011 - June 7, 2011

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, FLOODING, TORNADOES, AND STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS (DR-1978-TN)
Incident Period: Apr 4, 2011

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, AND FLOODING (DR-1965-TN)
Incident Period: February 28, 2011 - March 1, 2011

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, FLOODING, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, AND TORNADOES (DR-1909-TN)
Incident Period: April 30, 2010 - May 18, 2010

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, AND FLOODING (DR-1851-TN)
Incident Period: June 12, 2009 - June 14, 2009

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, AND FLOODING (DR-1839-TN)
Incident Period: Apr 10, 2009

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, AND FLOODING (DR-1745-TN)
Incident Period: February 5, 2008 - February 6, 2008

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS AND TORNADOES (DR-1634-TN)
Incident Period: April 2, 2006 - April 8, 2006

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, AND FLOODING (DR-1464-TN)
Incident Period: May 4, 2003 - May 30, 2003

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS AND TORNADOS (DR-1441-TN)
Incident Period: November 9, 2002 - November 12, 2002

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES, AND FLOODING (DR-1331-TN)
Incident Period: May 23, 2000 - May 31, 2000

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES AND FLOODING (DR-1275-TN)
Incident Period: May 5, 1999 - May 19, 1999

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES AND HIGH WINDS (DR-1262-TN)
Incident Period: January 17, 1999 - February 1, 1999

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES AND FLOODING (DR-1215-TN)
Incident Period: April 16, 1998 - May 18, 1998

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS AND TORNADOES (DR-1171-TN)
Incident Period: March 28, 1997 - March 29, 1997

Tennessee SEVERE STORMS, TORNADOES & FLOODING (DR-585-TN)
Incident Period: May 7, 1979

I did not include severe storms, in my search but that is an option. Flooding is also an option but I don't think I want to be in a windowless shelter for a storm that might result in flood waters. I only searched for storms with Tornadoes.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
While these might be cheap, convenient and somewhat effective.

I would want more than that.

The reputable manufacturers have them certified. There are simply parts of our country where a buried shelter is not possible, and even if it is, may be difficult to access. These above ground units are as simple as "walking into a closet" and shutting the door behind you.

I have a Family Safe unit, a 4’x 6’. Originally it was in the garage but when I built a new house I designed a spot for it inside the house at the back of the pantry. The Family Safe guys came and moved it for me. So convenient to have it inside the house.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bolt together shelters are great for retrofitting an existing space where you can't get a one piece unit into.

The thought of unbolting them for egress is a bad idea. The doors on these open inward, and some have both a door and a secondary hatch. You register your location with emergency management so they know you have a shelter to look for. After an event your area will be swarming with search and rescue, so even if you are stuck inside you shouldn't be for long.

The last thing you want to do is start unbolting your shelter from within because the door is blocked and then get crushed by the Cadillac that you can't see sitting on top of the shelter.

That's a great point.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
quote:
The bolt together shelters are great for retrofitting an existing space where you can't get a one piece unit into.

The thought of unbolting them for egress is a bad idea. The doors on these open inward, and some have both a door and a secondary hatch. You register your location with emergency management so they know you have a shelter to look for. After an event your area will be swarming with search and rescue, so even if you are stuck inside you shouldn't be for long.

The last thing you want to do is start unbolting your shelter from within because the door is blocked and then get crushed by the Cadillac that you can't see sitting on top of the shelter.

That's a great point.
When you start unbolting it you will feel the pressure against it . It's not going to be a surprise .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post