SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1998 Chevy k1500 starting question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1998 Chevy k1500 starting question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Check the coil wire and ignition coil in addition to the distributor cap and rotor.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Check the coil wire and ignition coil in addition to the distributor cap and rotor.

This, Check for fire between the coil and dist cap. If you have fire there, Check for fire from dist to any of the spark plugs.

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?

Posts: 8678 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not yet guys. Will be early next week before we can take a look. I will need to tow it first.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will need to tow it first.

I thought it was starting but with difficulty. Now it won't start at all?

Posts: 28019 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Crankshaft Position Sensor could be suspect. One quick and dirty way to test it is to crank the engine over and watch to see if the tachometer needle moves. At least on my 92 Bonneville(s) that was one way to check it. Another way to check it would be with a timing light. No flash, no crank signal. Could also be a defective ECM but usually those will throw a SES code. A failed crank sensor may not as when it goes open circuit the ECM may read that signal as the ignition being turned off at the switch, a normal condition obviously.

Crank sensor is at the bottom of the plastic timing cover, about the seven o'clock position.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8140 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, I want to thank you all for your help here. Obviously you are very knowledgeable.

The fuel pressure was good. It was spark issue. And yes, E it would not start. As it turned out is was the Ignition module. Not a common problem. Mechanic said in 20 years he could not remember replacing one. Anyways, $300 and it runs again.

A guy I know wants to buy it. I had not planned to sell it. But he has made me a decent offer and I kind of feel I will be continually putting money into it. So I am going to part ways with it. Maybe upgrade to a used 3/4 to short box in the next few years. It has served me well for several years. In a way kind of hate to let it go. Like the manual tranny, windows, locks etc. But it is time on this one.

Again, thanks guys. I am so thankful for all the great advice you offer when asked. You are truly a blessing here.

Sincerely, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
As it turned out is was the Ignition module. Not a common problem. Mechanic said in 20 years he could not remember replacing one.

Very common on the 3.8L engine... old or new.

Glad to hear its fixed and thanks for the update. Always nice to hear the outcome.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fuel pressure was good. It was spark issue. And yes, E it would not start. As it turned out is was the Ignition module. Not a common problem.

Thanks for posting the solution. And you're right, this module failing on that vehicle is very rare.

Posts: 28019 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post