SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking folks-just got my first pressure cooker, what should I do with it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking folks-just got my first pressure cooker, what should I do with it? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I would also suggest dried beans if you are comfortable with the method. Here is a recipe for an imitation of Boston Baked Beans called Holiday Beans. I post this because my mother sent a recipe postcard from Boston. The soaking, boiling, and baking time summed up to 7-9 hours. Even for this former vegetarian that is an anchronistic use of energy.

https://thisoldgal.com/pressur...holiday-baked-beans/

Good luck.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a pressure cooker cook book. You'll be surprised what all you can do with one of those.
Your pressure cooker, if purchased new, likely came with a few things to cook
75 years ago it was hard to find a kitchen without
at least one. Even longer back___a canning pressure cooker. Still a good idea if you put in a nice vegetable garden each years. Cut that grocery bill more than half and eat better.
My mother used to fix entire meals in hers. It was at least sixty years old too.
They're not for cooking a few things. They'll cook a lot of things and fast.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
You can make ham&beans fast, but don't fill it full and let it get too hot. (It's amazing how beans can come through those little bitty holes.) Eek

Ham and Lima beans? Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Broke it in with some country pork ribs. Seared with some rub, then in the pot for 90 minutes with bbq sauce and some apple cider.

Came out pretty good, fall apart tender to the point I had a hell of a time getting them out using tongs. Definitely gives the Traeger a challenge in a fraction of the time. I imagine if I use a touch of liquid smoke next time I probably couldn’t tell the difference.

Next up will be a batch of chili and then some jambalaya. My wife is interested in canning, will see how that goes.

Already thinking I should get a second smaller one so I can do two things at once.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will make pretty much anything you can do in a crockpot, in half the time. Makes a super tender pot roast.

Posts: 490 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
corn on the cob in 2-3 min

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My fiancee makes a mushroom risotto in a machine that is similar to yours that's out of this world...

Posts: 1817 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 223 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
OK, just to play devil's advocate...

I don't like pressure cookers because you can't tell what's going on in there without depressurizing. I like to monitor the progress of what I'm cooking and gave the last pressure cooker to the Goodwill.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...3i30k1.0.2YH7mkMKmn0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Perfect "boiled" eggs in 5-6 minutes... Can peel them warm, and the shell will practically fall away with almost zero effort, with no sticking at all. Amazing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I don't like pressure cookers because you can't tell what's going on in there without depressurizing. I like to monitor the progress of what I'm cooking and gave the last pressure cooker to the Goodwill.

For sure, "you can't tell what's going on in there". You have to rely on consistent procedures, developed by experience.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
Perfect "boiled" eggs in 5-6 minutes... Can peel them warm, and the shell will practically fall away with almost zero effort, with no sticking at all. Amazing.

I've been experimenting without success.

I've fallen back to the boiling water with vinegar method.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13085 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'll second the suggestion for either soft or hard boiled eggs. They come out absolutely perfect, and you'll have never had as easy a time peeling a boiled egg, I can guarantee it.

Posts: 17621 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I use mine to make butter beans with sliced hotlink sausage. From dry beans to ready to eat in less than 20 minutes.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1915 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
My fiancee makes a mushroom risotto in a machine that is similar to yours that's out of this world...

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre-cook some big old tough beef ribs for 30 min. or so with seasoning, then smoke and finish cooking them on your grill/smoker/egg/ etc. They are really good for a relatively cheap and tough cut of meat.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

"lookin' aint' cookin'" -Just sayin' Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnut629:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

This recipe came out of her (Fagor) pressure cooker's cookbook - here's the original version:

Fagor's Never Fail Risotto
Serves 4
High pressure, 10 minutes

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 Cup diced onion or shallot
1 Cup Arborio rice
2 Cups chicken broth
1/4 Cup white wine
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon freshly minced parsley

1) Saute the onions until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes)
2) Add the rice, broth, wine and saffron. Close the lid and turn the knob to Pressure. Set the timer for 10 minutes at high pressure.
3) When done, release the pressure and open the cooker. Stir in the cheese and parsley.

Her tweaks to the recipe:

* Saffron optional (she's made it with and without - just depends on the flavor she's going for)
* Cubed baby bella (crimini) mushrooms are sauted with the onions, then removed before pressure cooking the rice and added them back when she stirs in the cheese.
* Stirs in butter with the grated cheese at the end (2 Tablespoons when she doubles the recipe)

She's used other vegetables too that were really good - asparagus was another good one that I can recall.

I don't think she's ever added parsley.

I love that stuff. If you try it, let me know what you think - she thinks it's funny when I talk about the recipes I find on a "gun" forum... Big Grin

Posts: 1817 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post